Author Topic: Gear  (Read 1258 times)

Offline apeirolo3

• IceShanty Rookie
Gear
« on: Jan 20, 2016, 07:57 AM »
Hey guys, was going to head out and pick up some jigs for this coming season. Any suggestions on what jigs are good to use around here?

Thanks!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Gear
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:53 AM »
I would suggest that you be a bit more specific as to what you are using and what you are trying to catch. 
Just add water.

Offline apeirolo3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2016, 09:48 AM »
I am using an ice fishing rod and reel set up and am going for anything that will bite. Trout, bass, perch, pike....

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:05 AM »
Any small jigs tipped with worms or mealies will do if you aren't targeting anything specific. Not sure how experienced you are with ice knowledge but this season hasn't been great around here. I'm still looking for safe ice myself. be safe and test the ice your self before you go out.
Just add water.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:38 AM »
As far as a general lure that will catch any species, I recommend a 1/12 ounce gold or silver Kastmaster (manufactured right in Providence, RI!)or else a small Swedish Pimple. On both those lures I have caught perch, crappie, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, bass, and trout (sometimes all in the same day). Always tip the treble with some kind of worm/larva. I have had the most luck with wax worms. They are more supple than meal worms, and though they don't last long on the hook, they seem to attract more attention. They are readily available at Petco etc.

A lot of people use the European style tiny tungsten jigs. Though they are very effective, you are limiting yourself to pan fish pretty much if you use them. I like the lures I mentioned above because you stand a good chance of catching bass or trout as well as the little guys.

Offline apeirolo3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Thanks! This is my second season of ice fishing so I usually wait until I see other people ice fishing or that its been freezing for at least a week or two before I go check the ice, always play it safe.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Another suggestion: get yourself a really sensitive rod. Noodle rods are great if you are using light jigs. Trust me, if you are jigging blind (no sonar) you will miss a lot of fish you didn't even know were there. The bite can be extremely light at times, but a spring bobber or "noodle" strike indicator on the end of the rod will detect even the lightest bites. There is a retired cop based out of upstate NY who makes replicas of high-end jigging rods for about a third of the price. You can him on Facebook by searching "Midstream Rods and Hardwater Customs". I highly recommend his stuff.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:06 AM »
And one more thing: might as well buy a flasher now. They are not cheap; there is some sticker shock involved, but having it will increase the fun of ice fishing by ten times. Once you get one you will never go back.

Offline icetilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:39 AM »
If the sticker shock of a flasher is to much for you, you can pick up a Humminbird pihrana max 155 portable, which includes the battery charger and portable carry for $99 and you can get the ice transducer off of walmart.com for $60 . I bought one for my son for this christmas and it works great for jigging.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2016, 12:25 PM »
If the sticker shock of a flasher is to much for you, you can pick up a Humminbird pihrana max 155 portable, which includes the battery charger and portable carry for $99 and you can get the ice transducer off of walmart.com for $60 . I bought one for my son for this christmas and it works great for jigging.

X2
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.