Author Topic: RI IceShanty trip smelt fishing on Sat 18FEB2012  (Read 1317 times)

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
RI IceShanty trip smelt fishing on Sat 18FEB2012
« on: Jan 31, 2012, 03:12 PM »
So here is the deal.

I am going up to Worthing's Smelt Camp for the 1800 tide (incoming) and 2345 tide (outgoing).  I already have a shanty set aside for myself.  Usually, I go solo and fish through the night and make the drive back at dawn.

But, a bunch of guys have showed some interest and I thought this might be a good opportunity for us to get a group together for a smeltapalooza 2012!  Here is how it would work.

Each person or group would be responsible for their own travel there and back.  It is about a 3.5 - 4 hour drive.
Each person or group would be responsible for their own shack rental.  Call Worthings at 207-582-3199 24/7/365 to make your reservation.  I will be in a shanty to the right as you come down the ramp.  Ask for one in that area and tell them you are with the Ice Shanty group from RI.

For gear, all you need is a ultra light jig pole with a small tear drop jig or sabiki and a 1/2 oz weight.  They provide the seaworm bait there either included or for a nominal fee.

To give you some idea of the cost, a 2 person shack is $25 a tide and a 4 person shack is 45 a tide.  I am fishing both tides.  But you can come and go as you please.  It is a BYOB event, but remember you have a 4 hour drive home.   :-\

So wha' chew tink' mon?

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
Re: RI IceShanty trip smelt fishing on Sat 18FEB2012
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:33 PM »
hay AT
i was already planning on being there for that weekend the 18 & 19 I was planning on taking my portable and fishing in Dresden        have you gotten any reports on the catches lately  not that it would make a difference two weeks from now

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:52 PM »
I think February 18&19 are free fishing days dont need a license thats a plus

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:55 AM »
hay AT
i was already planning on being there for that weekend the 18 & 19 I was planning on taking my portable and fishing in Dresden        have you gotten any reports on the catches lately  not that it would make a difference two weeks from now

Here is the local intel I have gathered.  The night I went sucked.  The freshwater rain, shut things down.  It soon turned around and people started slamming them.  I hear the OUTGOING is fishing better than the incoming.  Ultra Light jig rods seem to be doing better than jig boards.  That very well could be due to the action imparted when one simply holds a jig rod, the offered flutter a little even when you're holding it still.  Everything should be tipped with 1/4" to 1/8" bits of seaworm.  Glow jigs work better than others and the general concensus is that Jammin Jigs Teardrop jigs rock.  That being said, the ones I made last year from solder and arts from JannsNetCraft kicked ass.  In the end, people catch fish on what they fish.  :)

PM me your cell phone and we can coordinate efforts.  If you are killing them, we could move to you and vice versa.

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2012, 02:12 PM »
[ Glow jigs work better than others and the general concensus is that Jammin Jigs Teardrop jigs rock.  That being said, the ones I made last year from solder and arts from JannsNetCraft kicked ass.  In the end, people catch fish on what they fish.  :)

were you usiing your electronics   if were could see them come in

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:37 PM »
ATG is still in the market for a flasher. He has a nice cam tho.  I dont know what the plans are for the gridiron derby that is scheduled for that day are, not that we will have any ice.

Offline BASSRI

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:40 PM »
Gridiron Tourney is still on for the 18th!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.