Author Topic: Who has a flasher, what kind, do you like it and how do you use it?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
So I am looking at getting a flasher.

I am not sure which brand or then even which model.  Furthermore, I have no friggin idea how to read them nor even how to "hole jump" with them or how to use them in general.  It seems to me the more you spend, the better one you get.  Is that true?

Vexilar or Marcum?
Any models people prefer?
How do you use them - specifically.

thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline miked

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • jack perch
i have a marcum lx-5 ,best piece of equiptment i have.easy to read  ,if we get ice this year (i mean when) :tipup:we can meet at a pond and i'll show you how easy it is.i drill about 15 holes to start and bounce around  .  i tell if there are fish down there instantly. my catch percentage went way up. try cabela's bargain cave that's where i got mine for like 239.00 after coupons  and the mark down.
[img]

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
i have the showdown digital flasher. easy to read because of the straight screen vs. the spinning flashers, which work just as good.  And it has a zoom feature for deep water applications which is awsome. Try next time we are out there.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
I have a vexilar and my grandson kept taking it to check his holes so i brought a showdown ie troller they are both great tools and do more than I need them to

Offline Fishing_Machine

• IceShanty Rookie
I started using an old Lowrance flasher (in the green case) 35 years ago when I lived and fished near Lake Champlain.
It worked fine.  Over the years, I used several LCD units that did regular duty on my boat.  Those worked good too until it gets very cold.  The screens would not have good contrast or seemed slow to react when it was below 10 degrees.
For the last 17-18 years, I've been using a Vexilar FL-8.   I had to add a special cable that reduced the power for better "seeing" in shallow water.  The newer units have this feature built in.  After all these years, it looks like my unit is finally wearing out.  I couldn't begin to tell anyone how many hours or batteries I've gone through.  About the only negative I can come up with on the Vex or any other flasher is when it is snowing, the "screen" fills in and you have to blow or wipe the snow out of them to see the flash.  They make a magnifier / cover that works ok but is not great.  FM

Offline pat2469

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On
I have an old cheap Vex and it's just like playing a video game.  Buy one it makes jigging so much more fun.

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
I have a Vex Fl-8 ,bought it off CL for !75 $ and love it, I won't go out without it
How are the edges ?

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
I have a marcum lx7, the greatest flasher in the world. so fast and quiet not to mention customizable
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Marcum lx-5 here.......buy any flasher and u will LOVE it! :tipup:

Offline hunter5156

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
got the hummingbird ice-35 and it works great from the shallows to deep water. Get one and you will love it.

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Waste of money Antonio. There are no fish in any of the ponds we fish in.  ;)

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
Waste of money Antonio. There are no fish in any of the ponds we fish in.  ;)

You just want everyone to hover around your coffee pot all day.  :P
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can't bring the Coleman stove this winter.  It doesn't float.  >:(

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
its coming stew, i made it out last saturday it was sketchy at best. i'm hoping for sunday

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.