New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1028755 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #3270 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:26 PM »
That shore ice looks good.

Today there is 10’ of open water where I got on Thursday.   :o

I know.  It took a beating today.  It was cold out with that wind today I couldn't believe the loss on the shoreline.  I was very happy seeing it firm up late day. 

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3271 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:45 PM »
Last ice report for me.  I'm done.
Went out of Jewell early.  Ice was good there.  Little open water near shore, but no problem getting on.  Took my snowmobile out without any issues getting on the ice.
Next I went to Constantia (Mill Street) around noon.  Took the snowmobile out off the west side of the point and it was pretty slushy.  Went about 300 yards out and the ice was soft and slushy-didn't like the look or feel so I came back in.  Even chopping down 3-4" with the spud the ice seemed soft.
Finished the day at Williams and took the machine out again.  Ice was still good there, shoreline was also good but it's deteriorating by the day.  Didn't seem nearly as good there today as last weekend or even last Wednesday.
Was great season.  Stay safe everybody.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3272 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Hardcore here's a pic looking at mill st and scribe creek from my camp

Thanks for the info P.P.
I think I'm done for the year..

Offline firstcast 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3273 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:17 AM »
Well calling it a season over for me everyone stay safe out there

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3274 on: Mar 24, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Last ice report for me.  I'm done.
Went out of Jewell early.  Ice was good there.  Little open water near shore, but no problem getting on.  Took my snowmobile out without any issues getting on the ice.
Next I went to Constantia (Mill Street) around noon.  Took the snowmobile out off the west side of the point and it was pretty slushy.  Went about 300 yards out and the ice was soft and slushy-didn't like the look or feel so I came back in.  Even chopping down 3-4" with the spud the ice seemed soft.
Finished the day at Williams and took the machine out again.  Ice was still good there, shoreline was also good but it's deteriorating by the day.  Didn't seem nearly as good there today as last weekend or even last Wednesday.
Was great season.  Stay safe everybody.
Thanks for your reports kingfisher22...very helpful as usual this season.
I will be sure to give you a wave and "hello" when I see your unmistakable,awesome Kingfisher 22' boat prowling around the Oneida shoreline and shoals this season .
Have a great open water season on those perch,  wally's and smallies .
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3275 on: Mar 24, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Got out this morning had the whole bay to myself for a while when I say by myself that includes active fish. Ice was 14" half white, half black that is beginning to candle. Shore is good where I get on. Couldn't get to my spot because a crack opened up. Ice is starting to move some, top was tight.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3276 on: Mar 24, 2019, 05:49 PM »

Thanks for the heads up everyone
 This time of year the temps can be cold but between the long sunny days and wind it does do a number on the ice

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3277 on: Mar 24, 2019, 06:08 PM »
Thanks for your reports kingfisher22...very helpful as usual this season.
I will be sure to give you a wave and "hello" when I see your unmistakable,awesome Kingfisher 22' boat prowling around the Oneida shoreline and shoals this season .
Have a great open water season on those perch,  wally's and smallies .
Please do.  Pull right up and introduce yourself.  I'm sure I'll have the look of disgust/**censored** at first, but I'll get over it. ;D
It's always nice to put names with faces.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3278 on: Mar 25, 2019, 01:54 PM »

couldnt stay long  but had fun

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3279 on: Mar 25, 2019, 03:32 PM »
Nice job trap squeezing out a few late season perch.  Nice day the sap is even running a little.

Offline grubdropper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3280 on: Mar 25, 2019, 03:36 PM »
Fished out of williams park today.  Shore line was good going out and coming in, easy walking.  Morning bite was descent.  Keep 19 perch 9 to 11 inches.  Bright sun all day but still cold.   

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3281 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:34 AM »
if you  go out  be careful around the cracks  ...

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3282 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:43 AM »
Please do.  Pull right up and introduce yourself.  I'm sure I'll have the look of disgust/**censored** at first, but I'll get over it. ;D
It's always nice to put names with faces.
I have seen you out there on the water several times over the years....I will pull up close and say hi next time for sure @)
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3283 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:48 AM »
Nice job on the striped perch trap and grub.

BTW all...I did not see many posts about east end guy's getting into the white perch very much this season.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3284 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:44 AM »
I fished to the East a few times and never caught a white perch this year. I think Fred finally put a dent in the population.  ;D

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3285 on: Mar 26, 2019, 04:16 PM »
I didn't see a white perch caught this year on the east end. I know alot of "Uticans" put a dent in the population in the spring in the canal  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3286 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:50 PM »

I had some luck today , managed enough for a couple mealsb

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3287 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:22 PM »
those two hens look like real pigs  good job ole boy

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3289 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:59 PM »
Nice looking perch Fred.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3290 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:16 PM »

Anyone see this
http://http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2019/03/dec-weighs-options-for-ridding-skaneateles-lake-of-illegally-stocked-walleye.html

Quite interesting Fred. If they truly want to remove them, than a no season, no size, no limit would put a dent in them. Don't know much about that Lake, but I would think that they should be able to hone in on the spawning streams (like the South end of Conesus Lake) and a good DEC netting project for the prime spawning week should greatly reduce any present year class fish? Of course I got to believe that Walleye fry should be good forage for those trout.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3291 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:34 PM »

There is a western state that has this problem , maybe they should look at what they are doing , only thing I can remember ther is no limit or size limit and kill them all

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3292 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:40 PM »
It seems almost impossible to get rid of them entirely.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3293 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:51 PM »
It seems almost impossible to get rid of them entirely.
Agreed , Bruce maybe we should go and see if we can help them out 😉

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3294 on: Mar 26, 2019, 07:56 PM »
I got out this afternoon for my first trip in a few weeks. Pretty easy drag out there but had a hard time finding biters. Ended up grabbing a half dozen decent ones for a meal.

Also stopped at Apps and they were closed and then East Shore and they had a 30% off everything going out of business sale. It’s a shame but that is a hard business to keep going.

Beautiful walk off.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3295 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:00 PM »
I fished to the East a few times and never caught a white perch this year. I think Fred finally put a dent in the population.  ;D
That is funny lol.
I never caught one or saw one caught either....but only fished down east a few times.

nice picture chowdaire.

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #3296 on: Mar 26, 2019, 08:20 PM »

Anyone see this
http://http://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/2019/03/dec-weighs-options-for-ridding-skaneateles-lake-of-illegally-stocked-walleye.html

Yea last year my buddy who fishes skinny all the time and caught several keeper walleye...first year he did so.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3297 on: Mar 26, 2019, 09:38 PM »
Agreed , Bruce maybe we should go and see if we can help them out 😉
Count me in! I’m calling shotgun 😂
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3298 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:10 PM »
Much shorter drive for me to skinny than it is to Oneida.  I’m hoping they take off in there lol

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3299 on: Mar 26, 2019, 10:44 PM »
They might as well hang up any Idea if getting the eyes out of SL. And accept them. Will be impossible to eradicate them and the population will explode as long as those fat trout last, they will grow fast off them.  Look at Oneida, think 25 % of legal eyes are removed each year and each year the bound right back. That is along with heavy fishing..  So if and a big if, 50% are removed by a year round season and a little netting, there are still a lot of mature eyes to well populate the lake.  Very few will argue that it is a great trade off if you eat fish...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.