Author Topic: Walmart has ice fishing stuff  (Read 5113 times)

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
Walmart has ice fishing stuff
« on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Just visited a Walmart yesterday and was surprised to see a small but dedicated section to ice fishing.

They had a little bit of everything, rods, lines, tip-ups, hand augers and even a pop-up shanty. The prices - as usual - were aggressively low.

I am a sucker for shiny stuff so ended up buying a box of really cool looking ice fishing jigs (all lead free). I hope the fish will like it as much as I do  ;D

“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
Re: Walmart has ice fishing stuff
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Havent been to Wally World in a while, but may go to Lowes to get stuff for the shanty and maybe stop in to check.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:01 AM »
Yep it's true! Was to NY a couple weeks ago and saw it then my home store stocked some too. Not a big area with stuff yet..but I think if it sells well they will expand in future years.Don't be afraid to buy some stuff local there, as it may help us out in the future. We may need some last minute stuff and they are open 24-7 usually. Just sayin  ;D

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Oh just remembered got to check the local gun and fishing shop and see what they got. Usually really nice or cool stuff.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2011, 01:02 PM »
I really tried to avoid getting political and all, I'll just post this link and let y'all make your own decisions. Keep in mind when when reading this link, Wally World is the planets biggest reseller of fishing gear...

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/08/22/walmart-heirs-and-fishing-freedom-don%E2%80%99t-mix

In short, Walmart has given over 70 million in money to so called "conservation" groups whose philosohy hinges on removing access to recreational fishermen. As an avid outdoorsman, personally, I'll never set foot in another WalMart again.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Even before I heard of that, I've boycotted Walmart for 17 years (lived out west before they had them here). Just my personal choice. But last weekend, a friend of mine was recovering from surgery, and I went there for him. I braved the Christmas music and all....
But I noticed a bunch of tip-ups at the end of an aisle with completely empty shelves, so I knew what was going in there! I was excited seeing that!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Standard supply of HT chinese crap !

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Surf you are right. Look at all the ice fishing stuff in Wally World and where its made.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Ya what he said !!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2011, 03:20 PM »
Well, I hate Walmart as much as the next guy.  The way I see it is, at least they recognize the demand for the one-fishing stuff.  It may be cheap and not much; but it's a lot more than nothin.  And maybe it'll put another young'un on the ice this season.
The last three years, they have not a single thing in the store for ice-fishing - wonder what changed their minds?  I'll tell you, it has a lot to do with demand and profit.

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:27 PM »
I can't stand Wal-Mart. They are the number 4 importer in the United states that is why I boycott them myself

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Frankly I don't see the big deal anymore. But I use to so hate me if you want, but almost everything is imported or made in the USA with "Globel parts" anymore. I have a world renouned garment manufacture right in my backyard..Woolrich.. and do you think they make everything in house...haha think again!  Take Clam for instance.. the flack they been getting about the hardware and such. Do you think every one of those rod blanks or those hooks that are part of that favorite lure or jig is all american. or the paint used to paint them. Or the pants your wearing or the thread used to sew them. Come on...the only way anyone is gonna know for sure is it's all made in the USA is to make it all by hand yourself. I love quality stuff too..but it's getting harder to find every day, so I figured I may as well go with the flow, cause it isn't changing any time soon.  :'(

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2011, 06:56 PM »
"...cause it changing any time soon.  :'("

- so sad...but so very true!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2011, 09:26 PM »
The reason why companies manufacture in China (and in general outside the US) is because it is way cheaper. You want to change that, call your congressmen (-women) and complain about the labor regulations and such.

Unlike most, I actually like Walmart. I see a lot of people who obviously are very beginner fishermen (-women) buying stuff there all the time. Grandparents buying a spiderman rod for their grandkids and stuff like that. I actually feel good about it.

Also, Walmart may posture to look more "green" but I doubt that it would be in their best business interest to help stop recreational fishing.

On an unrelated note, Dick's has ice fishing stuff in as well (saw it today). They had a much better selection, Heritage Lakers were $30.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:20 AM »
 At least the people who own Dicks sporting good don't take the Sportsmen's money and give it to the Anti hunting and Fishing groups like wally world does, Stinkin Hypocrite's !! :%$#!:

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2011, 11:01 AM »
I'm not a big fan of walmart just due to the crowds if not the lower quality fishing stuff.  But on the other hand, they do have the same name-brand plastics and line package as dicks, ktp, cabelas, dover marine or any of my other normal gear stops.

Oh, btw - ktp has all tip ups 20% off right now...got a couple heritage lakers for $23...
TP

Offline Jay Fat City

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That Dummy Out on the Ice By Himself
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Wal-Mart had Heritage Lakers last year in their tiny ice fishing section last year. Now that the selection is larger, the Lakers are gone. Weird.

Jay
  <=== On my car, on my sled, on my soul!

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I have Wally World and Dicks across the street from one another. My gripe with both of them is, no matter how helpfull their staff is, they can not request any particular item or line be stocked. I prefer to shop at the little guy's, if they don't have it they'll order it for you, plus take suggestions on what to keep on the shelves.

My useless take on it.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:37 PM »
boycott them both. i like spending my money at the little guy's store. the relationship one makes with local tackle dealers is worth a few pennies more.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Well Winni. gotta agree literately the only things i buy from wally world can be bought at most other places. Spray paint and bed sheets etc. and the thing i really only go in there for is hunting/ fishing gear. And i would rather shop at Martels Sport and Bait Shop in Laconia. And they have a great selection of ice fishing stuff and quality and and same with hunting and a nice array of guns and bows new and used.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2011, 04:57 PM »
you are probably spending quite a bit more than a few pennies with the small business.  but its just as bad as ordering online which almost everyone does nowadays.

blame the internet b4 wally world lol

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:07 PM »
martels works for me too. i like opeechee trading post for my fly gear. can't discount wildlife taxi. or morses in hillsboro. i like the village variety store in hillsboro as well. they have a fine selection of gear for all fishermen

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Oh yah Opeechee Trading Post is a great fly shop! Love it there and in the fall i think i will need more flies so stop by and try the river there. And FYI there are some B I G salmon in there and i saw it with my 2 eyes at least 20".

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 21, 2011, 05:24 PM »
i would wait till april 1st to hit that spot

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:37 PM »
I'm just waiting for the Ice Hole to open up, But I did see County Stores in Milford breaking out the ice fishing stuff
I buy local when ever possible
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:49 PM »
I'm just waiting for the Ice Hole to open up, But I did see County Stores in Milford breaking out the ice fishing stuff
I buy local when ever possible
Pirk

I hear ya! I wanna buy some Indian Hill traps this year and start phasing out my Heritage Lakers as my main traps. Those Indian Hills are better traps. I will give Rick my buisness when I have the dough to make the switch.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #26 on: Nov 21, 2011, 06:52 PM »
I have bought stuff from Rick since he first opened, he always has top quality gear at reasonable prices
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2011, 05:47 AM »
I feel kind of dumb...haven't seen "Indian Hill" traps before.  Are those a locally made trap in NH?
TP

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2011, 07:17 AM »
Actually, Worcester, MA.

http://www.indianhillicetraps.com/about.html

The anti-wind flag mechanisim is the best I have ever seen. Very, very smooth and totally windproof. Smoother than my Heritage Lakers. The drag and spool is very good quality as well. They are just very nice traps.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2011, 02:13 PM »
they look great, thanx for the link. anyone have any beaver dam tip ups? if so, whaddya think?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.