Author Topic: Bait tank help...  (Read 857 times)

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
Bait tank help...
« on: Nov 28, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Well i need bait tank help my parents think i should just buy my shiners but i want to catch and keep them what is a small compact tank that can hold at least 4 dozen of shiners? :tipup:
I live for pike,bass,crappie,pickerel, and anything thats big and swims! Can't go jigging without my vex!

FRESHBAIT

Re: Bait tank help...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2012, 05:38 PM »
If your gonna keep only about that many then a 5 gal bucket would suffice with out much trouble,  a simple air pump and a simple corner type bubble filter should keep you going.  Or just use a tote probably around the 17gal mark,  or see if someone is giving away an old glass aquarium. You can usually find a 10gal tank pretty cheap if not free.  Or a cooler.   As long as it will hold water, you can probably put bait in it. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bait tank help...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2012, 05:56 PM »
I'd say go to walmart and find yourself a tub (a sturdy one, not the cheap flexible ones) around 10-15 gallons and a HOB style filter (hang on back). You might have to do some trimming to the lip of the tub to get it to hang right, but it will work. And that's it. Plug it in and go. The whole set-up should cost you less than $30 which is what, 8 dozen shiners or so at the bait shop? Lots of savings can be had by catching your own or buying bait in bulk then holding it yourself. If you want you can buy a simple glass 10 gallon aquarium at walmart for $10-$15 instead of a tub. But just make sure you are careful with it, cold and glass don't go well together.

If you are going to hold them any longer than 3-4 days, air bubbler only is out of the question. Get yourself a power filter, the bubbler ones are no good for what you want.

Just for reference. a 15 gallon tub, and a 20 gallon HOB filter will be plenty for about 5 dozen shiners held over long time. It will overnight up to 10 dozen smalls.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.