The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice shack exterior walls  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice shack exterior walls
« on: Dec 12, 2019, 04:00 AM »
We are in the process of building a shack and was curious what you guys use on your exterior walls. Trying to keep as light as possible and want it to last without a lot of maintenance.

Offline The Rusty Crab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm not leaving until I catch a fish!!! R. Crabs
Re: Ice shack exterior walls
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:23 AM »
Lexon is light

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Greenhouse sheathing its light and lasts a long time on a sunny day no stove needed

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:50 AM »
My son bought some of these sheets. Worked great and was priced right. They use the sheets in the tops of box trucks.
https://nh.craigslist.org/mat/d/fiberglass-panels/7035392380.html

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2019, 07:55 AM »
thank you guys for the great ideas, Pretty pumped up do you have a hard sided shack ready to go by January 1

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:03 PM »
We used free beer signs from a corner store .

They had a bunch of old ones they were happy to get rid of . There made of coroplast I think it's called.

Cedar deck boards ripped in 3rds for light weight framing.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2019, 12:49 PM »
Great idea to use the beer signs for your shanty GasBlaster. My only comment is you put them on backwards (with the wrong side facing out).  ;)2

I need to get to work on a shanty, or strike gold in the yard to buy one.  :tipup:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2019, 01:04 PM »
Well, you didn't mention cost as an issue soooo.... If I were to build a permanent shack, I would start with a cedar frame of 2×2 and/or 2×4's. Side it with 1" styrofoam panels and wrap it with Tyvek. For the doors and door frames, I would probably panel the foam with 1/4" plywood for strength before wrapping, then paint it. Put it on a Smitty sled to transport. Can't get any lighter than that.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:35 PM »
With Greenhouse sheathing you need no plywood and no outside wrap. wind proof and sun will heat up great

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2019, 03:59 PM »
Well, you didn't mention cost as an issue soooo.... If I were to build a permanent shack, I would start with a cedar frame of 2×2 and/or 2×4's. Side it with 1" styrofoam panels and wrap it with Tyvek. For the doors and door frames, I would probably panel the foam with 1/4" plywood for strength before wrapping, then paint it. Put it on a Smitty sled to transport. Can't get any lighter than that.
im going to build a hardside for spearing this summer and taking a few ideas out of your playbook i think.pink foam insulation and tyvek.i wish i wouldve kept all my thin aluminum sheets i had.that aluminum skin used to be the staple for shacks years ago.now it hard to find and expensive.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2019, 05:59 PM »
im going to build a hardside for spearing this summer and taking a few ideas out of your playbook i think.pink foam insulation and tyvek.i wish i wouldve kept all my thin aluminum sheets i had.that aluminum skin used to be the staple for shacks years ago.now it hard to find and expensive.
Me being a home builder I wouldn’t go with Tyvek. It would be really noise on a windy day and UV light will make it break down. You might be able to find thin aluminum from a news paper company or is the printing plates a thing of the past??

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:04 PM »
Me being a home builder I wouldn’t go with Tyvek. It would be really noise on a windy day and UV light will make it break down. You might be able to find thin aluminum from a news paper company or is the printing plates a thing of the past??

Just curious...how noisy could the Tyvek be "streched" and attached to the foam panels?

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:11 PM »
I guess if you stretched it tight and secured with a cap nail it would hold.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2019, 06:14 PM »
I guess if you stretched it tight and secured with a cap nail it would hold.

Kinda what I was thinking.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Great idea to use the beer signs for your shanty GasBlaster. My only comment is you put them on backwards (with the wrong side facing out).  ;)2

I need to get to work on a shanty, or strike gold in the yard to buy one.  :tipup:

I thought about putting them out , I decided to go with a winter camo . I had permission to put it up on a point in the woods so I didn't have to worry about it getting slushed in or getting froze into the lake.   If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even see it . ( Not a jigging shack !)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:52 AM »
I thought about putting them out , I decided to go with a winter camp . I had permission to put it up on a point in the woods so I didn't have to worry about it getting slushed in or getting froze into the lake.   If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even see it .

(Image removed from quote.)

Great idea and much less risk/hassle.  How far to fishing water from the shanty? Can you see your tip-ups from there?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2019, 06:55 AM »
I thought about putting them out , I decided to go with a winter camp . I had permission to put it up on a point in the woods so I didn't have to worry about it getting slushed in or getting froze into the lake.   If you didn't know it was there you wouldn't even see it .

(Image removed from quote.)

Wow, that really does blend in. This and other threads where foam board is used for siding have me thinking. Fantastic for weight savings, my only thought is that it's so light the wind might take it while you drag it out?

Offline Icemanzak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2019, 04:53 AM »
We almost finished our 6’ x 8’ shack yesterday. Was a great day to be inside working on it and getting ready for good ice in our area. We ended up using 2” x 2” framing and used thin plywood for the walls.
Kicked around so many ideas and materials but feel it came together awesome. I have some good pics and a material list if anyone is interested in building one. We are planning on having it on Maranacook Lake in Winthrop for smelt jigging and fishing. It will be avail for rent as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.