The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Good multi-purpose trap setup ?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline blackdog1

• IceShanty Rookie
Good multi-purpose trap setup ?
« on: Feb 23, 2006, 06:57 PM »
Looking for a little advice....I have a couple of new traps, Heritage Lakers from KTP
$13.99 each.  Set them up with 50 yards 27lb test, 5 foot 10lb steel leader, and a
size 6 hook.  Is this a a good "multi-purpose" setup for lake trout, salmon, and
pike ? (if there is such a thing)  Would you recommend any sinkers and if so, how much weight and how high up from hook would you put them ?  Am I on target or
way off ?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Good multi-purpose trap setup ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:05 PM »
welcome blackdog1...youre 27lb backing is fine. IMO 10 lb steel is smaller than i like for pike and i would never use steel leaders for trout or salmon. there is no leader i would comfortably use for both pike and trout/salmon. 10 b flouro or superbraid would be my choice for trout/salmon

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:08 PM »
IMHO, I'd lose the steel for togue and salmon. I go with 10lb flouro for leader.  Might want to up it some if you know there are big togue around. :)  Hook size is OK for togue and salmon but a bit on the small size for pike. 1/0 VMC treble is my choice for pike. Very strong hook for the wire size.  Smaller the wire....less damage to the bait. 50 yards should be ok for shallow areas but 150feet doesn't give yah much room for error when your fishing togue in 75 feet of water. Nice thing about your traps are that they can be easily upgraded for not much money. Big plastic spools are available for $2-$4 that hold 150yds. PM me if you want more details.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Yeah, definitely get rid of the steel for trout and salmon.  I put on 20 pound fluorocarbon for the tournament this weekend.  Usually go with 6-10 pound test for leader (6-20 feet).  I use a small sinker foot from hook.  This allows the weight to pull the bait down and keeps the bait from swimming up past the sinker.  I always put a quality swivel between my braided line and the leader.  You can't get any more backing on the standard Heritage spool?  I try to get 125 yards of line on my spools.  I've been spooled more than once!    #6 hook is hook of choice for salmon and togue I would say.  Just my 2 cents....there will be other knowledgeable posts....
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:38 PM »
Thats what i was thinking that 50 yards may bit a bit short.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:07 PM »
need 100yrds plus for big togue and big sal.

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure what Heritage was thinking when they went with those new black plastic spools. Ohhhh, more profit....never mind. :) 

Offline phisherdude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Maine
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:54 PM »
If your looking for a good multipurpose line you may want to try 20lb or so braided powerpro.  The diameter is about 6 lb so you'll pick up the trout bite and you should land most pike. If you only have 50 yards on your spools and are fishing for touge make sure you have a good knot at the end for when they spool you.  At the Sebago derby last year one of my brothers small traps got spooled and we where lucky to catch the fish. Use as little weight as you can.
~ryan

Offline Marsh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tools of the Trade
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2006, 02:59 AM »
im using 20 or 10 # powerpro as my all purpose leader this year and it seems to work fine.  bass pickerel perch crappie and  a brown all on the same leader.  size 4 or 6 hook i think

As for pike im trying some pre snelled hooks with like a 30 or 40 # mono  big hooks!!  caught one 24 inch last week and it diddnt seem to affect it to much as abrasion goes and he swalled the hook.
Marsh

Offline king salmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:44 AM »
I prefer flora carbon 10# or smaller depending on where I'm fishing for trout and salmon.Don't do much pike fishing but these guys can sure help you out.Different setups catch different fish,it only takes a few minuets to change gear the night before you fish and I don't believe there are many waters with trout and pike .Target your species and set up for them accordingly.Hopefully this thread helps you out and welcome to Ice Shanty.

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:50 AM »
Ditch the steel if you are going multipurpose. I use 3-4' of 20# floro tied directly to size 6 hook for a leader and have done very well this year. It definitly doesn't limit yourself to one species. I have caught lakers, bass, brookies, pike, splake, pickeral and perch with this setup. Good luck and tight lines.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2006, 08:58 AM »
I agree with Mettipin.  I fish an even lighter flouro and rarely have a break off.  Your number of flags will increase as well, in my opinion.  Or as another suggestion, if you seriously think steel is the way to go, how about just getting a cheap set of traps and leave them set up for pike?  I think others have posted $12 - $14 heritage lakers at a variety of locations.  Might give you the confidence you are looking for.  Just a thought.
     Mettippin - are you going to be at the "hot hole" this weekend?

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:14 AM »
Game he bought HL for 14 bucks at KTP! ;D which are nice because HL caught on and started staining and varnishing their traps 14 bucks is a steal.

Thats what I do I have 8  traps and 3 are setup with a #4 octopus hook crimped onto 20# toothy critter for pike which works great IMO

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:47 AM »
the light green 18lb Polaris ice fishing line that Walmart sells is great stuff.....it's relatively thin compared to others I've used in past and I have no problem putting 100 yds + on my heritages....I've used anywhere from  25 to 40lb test for backing in the past and I thought it was bulky and it held more water, which can make for a quick freeze of your reel on those really bitter cold days.....the flouro suggestions above are good advice for trout/salmon fishing....I generally use about 6 ft of leader attached to my backing with a barrel swivel to prevent foul ups when your bait decides to swim in circles..........
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline METIPPIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:58 AM »
A good barrel swivel is key. I use S-Pro 50#. and my maine line is US Line love that stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.