The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: ATV lifespan and dependability  (Read 7110 times)

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
ATV lifespan and dependability
« on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:28 PM »
I can't get a reliable answer from ATV dealers or their service departments, so I'm asking all you IceShanty ATV users -- what has been your experience with the expected lifespan (mileage, years, etc.) of ATVs you have owned? How high a mileage before you get concerned about trading? Which brands do you recommend? Thanks to all of you!
 :tipup: :D

saltyshores

Offline doughtdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LTD!
Re: ATV lifespan and dependability
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:01 PM »
I have a Yamaha Big Bear 400 that I bought at Ken's Yamaha.  It is either a 2000 or an 01, we bought it as a left over for 4000, without four wheel drive.  I was a freshman in highschool when we got it, and beleive me, if you think youve seen a fourwheeler beatin, you havnt seen this one yet... This has been rolled over front ways, side ways, backwards, you name it, its happened... The only thing weve had to do to it was rebuild the starter and put in a temp. sender.  When I had to rebuild the startor I went back to Ken's Yamaha where I bought it, he tried to get me to spend upwards of 200 dollars just for internal parts, I basically told him to shove it, I got home, went online and ordered everything from a company in Gorham, New Hampshire and it costed me less than 60.  There isn't a spedometer on it, so therefor I'm not sure how many miles are on it but im guessing easily hundreds.  I used to drive it everyday.  My dad even uses it to hook the winch onto logs and pull them off to split... they are BIG logs too, nothing small... The only other problem we had is that there is a reserve fuel filter in the gas tank whcih fell off and got dirt and crap into the carb, we had to clean that, works fine, and there is moisture in the choke cable so we have to keep it in the garage the night before we go fishing in the winter... other than that, pretty reliable.  Also it is very VERY low geared, hope this helps

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Thanks, Doughtdawg, sounds like you and your big Bear have been through some tumbles together but are still working well! Keep it up.

I had a neighbor with a 2-wheel-drive Honda from the 1990's. He and his wife rode hundreds of miles every summer weekend, then he sold it in good running condition with more than 10,000 miles on the odometer! That sounded like a record good lifespan to me so I wondered what ATV lifespans you IceShanty ATVers have had.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:18 PM »
I've got a 91 Suzuki King Quad with 6k miles on it.  It's main two duties are plowing the driveway and ice fishing transport, but it has hauled more than its fair share of half-ton loads of dirt.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:26 PM »
I had a 84 Honda 200...drove it forever (until about three years ago)...now my friend has it....runs it every weekend....currently use my feet...wish I hadn't sold the wheeler....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Honda has a proven record of relaibility.  Just wait for the posts.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:27 PM »

2000 honda foreman...if it cant get there i shouldnt go  ;)  very dependable machine and stong like bull!   :D

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:49 PM »

I'm on the ice with you guys in the last 3 posts - as favoring Hondas. I have a 1985 Honda Big Red and my wife rides a little 1982 Honda 110. They're still going strong, although we use them just for ice fishing so don't have as many miles as the trail riders have. Someday, though, we want to move to a 4x4 ATV because they go through some snow far better than 3-wheelers. There's nothing worse than finding that the long, icy snow trail you rode to arrive at the lake in the morning has melted out in the March sun so the front wheel of a 3-wheeler just sinks in and plows snow on the way out at the end of the day.

Looking forward to hearing from more of you!

Offline watchfull eye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:11 PM »
99 Suzuki king quad 7k miles and every bit as good as the day I bought it. The machine is used year round and it has not failed me once.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:21 PM »
i had 2 honda 4 wheelers and they lasted forever. they were still running when i sold them . i currently run a 2004 yam. 350 bruin 4by 4. put about 2000mi. on it so far . no problems. a very simple fuel efficent lightweight bike for under $5000. i think both brands wont do you wrong.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2006, 10:03 PM »
I have a 99 or 2000 Polaris Sportsman, bought it used 4 years ago and its still running strong, put a lot of hard miles on it hunting and fishing mountain lakes.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2006, 05:04 AM »
I bought a 2005 Honda Foreman 500 last year for work around the cabin, plowing and grading the driveway, hauling firewood, and of course ice fishing transportation  ;D...I took the recomendations from the Forum on getting a Honda...glad I did...great machine!

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2006, 05:45 AM »
I have an 85 Honda Big Red 3 wheeler that I've beaten the hell out of and have never done any work to.  It still runs like a top.  I bought a new 04 Honda Rancher it now has almost 1000 miles on it with no problems.  I would recommend Honda all the way for reliability.  The only thing I don't like about them is the brakes.  The older ones had drum brakes which really suck, but the new ones have disc.  Make sure you get a model that can switch in and out of four wheel drive, not full time four wheel drive.

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:20 PM »
Have a 2000 Kawi Bayou. About 3000 mi. hard miles on it . Put it under water a week old filled motor so full of water coundnt turn it over pulled plug pumped water out started it up drove it home. When I was burning wood yarded 10 cord a year for 3 years from stump. Then my daughter run it at atv pulls never placed worse than second. Now it just gets used for hunting and fishing yard work still runs like a top. Just a matter of choice. They are building them all pretty reliable now.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Had a yamaha 200cc, 2 wheel drive 1987 that I beat, my kids beat on and I sold to a buddy.  He's till using it!  My current 2003 Arctic Cat has 900 miles on it and it's still like new to me.  Just like a jiffy auger...will last forever!
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:15 PM »

I know plenty of people who have all the above mentioned and they all seem reliable .I my self have had a 2000 yamaha grizzly 600 that i absolutely love.Fishing ,Hunting ,or just trail riding it cannot be beat .oh yeah it has pulled out many a honda!!!haha
i ain't scared

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2006, 08:28 PM »
One thing I'll say for Honda is that I approve of their use of sealed bearings versus bushings.  Constantly greasing bushings on my Polaris was a chore. However, all the bushings held up AOK with proper maint.  I buy another Polaris, no prob.  But I'd give a Honda the first look.

Offline fishinmastah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2006, 10:19 PM »
This is my brothers (wormwigglers) honda foreman...he uses it to plow and pull things around and takes it trail riding and ice fishing...no problems at all with it...Honda all the way
Team Maine!

Offline saltyshores

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Hey, everyone who posted, Thanks for describing your ATV experiences. I was away for a long weekend of fishing, so missed the last few posts till I checked back in today. Ice Shanty is a great site 'cause we can all get info from people who know on any topic related to fishing the ice flats. My wife put about 25 miles on her little 1982 Honda 110 towing a Jet Sled full of gear to the fishing holes - it started first pull all weekend.
 :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.