Author Topic: UV Jig Box mod - early stages.  (Read 3645 times)

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
UV Jig Box mod - early stages.
« on: Oct 25, 2012, 10:56 AM »
Some early photos of my UV Jig Box - was looking to build something similar to the Rapala charge glow but wanted to be able to keep the jigs in there full time.   Hit a switch and charge them for 8-10 seconds, see which ones are glowing well or decided between colors.  I could also put the existing jig in there to recharge it.  Plus it is just fun to build stuff.

I haven't finished it fully yet but on another thread I said I would get some of the initial photos up.    I am using A23 12Volt batteries with corresponding holders.    The A23 batteries are small 12volt batteries used in things like garage door openers.    The amperage is only 50 mAh hours but I did the math based on the mA for the UV leds and you could get 2 hours of continuous use or 3.5 hours if two A23 batteries are wired in parallel which is what I think I will end up doing.   This of course is continuous use,  only need 5-10 seconds to blast these so I think it will work fine.  I wanted something smaller to charge jigs that wasn't tied to a larger 12 volt vex type battery, something to keep in the pocket.  Also don't worry about looking for the UV flashlight etc.

I started out with a TB jig case I had and just laid things out.    I think a longer single 4" UV strip running vertical would be best but I was just getting things going for now and put the two smaller ones horizontal.   The switch is for an RC airplane, it works great,  I will attach that so the switch comes to the outside of the jig box cover.  And can be turned on and off without opening it. 

how the wiring is laid out,  I will be putting two batteries in parallel and shortening the wires,soldering etc when I get some time.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
Re: UV Jig Box mod - early stages.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:05 AM »
I like that.
I'm going to run a few strips in my finder bag tied to my backup 12v battery that has a cig lighter plug on it now.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:09 AM »
That looks awesome BB  :thumbsup:
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline quigley257

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:16 AM »
LOL... I have a bunch of those old Futaba switches from when I used to fly gas RC. Great mod!!
Say when...

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2012, 11:52 AM »
this is awesome, where did you get the lights?

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2012, 12:43 PM »
this is awesome, where did you get the lights?

I ordered the LEDs from this company

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Located in the US, was impressed with their service, items showed up quickly and there was good technical info on the site.  I ordered a few of the 1.2" , a few 2.4" (what is in my photos) and a couple of the 4.7" ones, just to have a few sizes to work from.  Click on the Technical info tab on that link and you will see the mA rating for each length which is how I calculated the battery life.   They do carry the battery holders as well and even a switch but I had these old RC plane switch laying around. You can get those at a hobby store for cheap.

I found a ten pack of the battery holders on the e-auction site for $3, that was before I realized the oznium place sold them too, $2 for one.   The A23 batteries I found at my local Fleet Farm in the garage door opener section.   Not a common battery you usually see in the main battery areas.

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:42 PM »
I finished up the UV jig box, at least the first prototype.

I cleaned up the wiring a little in side and then mounted the switch so it can be turned on and off from the outside.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:43 PM »
awesome job!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Dr Huxtable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2012, 07:52 PM »
Nice mod, I really like that setup.

What sort of jigs do you have in there and where'd you get them?

Offline BuckyBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:51 AM »
Nice mod, I really like that setup.

What sort of jigs do you have in there and where'd you get them?

The ones with hair are Tungsten Bluegill Bugger Killer Panfish Jig and I think 1 Deadly Damsel Tungsten Ice Jig  in there as well,  that I got off of the e bidding site.  Picked them up a month ago so haven't used them on ice yet.  I'd have to check on the other two, I was in the process of loading this up with all my glow jigs.

Offline Dr Huxtable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2012, 04:31 PM »
The ones with hair are Tungsten Bluegill Bugger Killer Panfish Jig and I think 1 Deadly Damsel Tungsten Ice Jig  in there as well,  that I got off of the e bidding site.  Picked them up a month ago so haven't used them on ice yet.  I'd have to check on the other two, I was in the process of loading this up with all my glow jigs.

Thanks, those flies are the ones I was curious about.  None listed at the moment, but maybe they'll pop up again soon.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Great job. It looks awesome.

Offline vandy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2012, 07:59 PM »
This is a portable UV box,that I can dip my jigs in the hole and not have my hands tied up with anything,and I also use it to light my shack lights with. When I am done I
can unplug it and bring it in and plug it into the charger.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:47 PM »
This is a portable UV box,that I can dip my jigs in the hole and not have my hands tied up with anything,and I also use it to light my shack lights with. When I am done I
can unplug it and bring it in and plug it into the charger.
(Image removed from quote.)
can you show a breakdown?  ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2012, 08:54 PM »
both of these look like great ideas! i have the camera flash flashlight thing but i might need one of these gizmos too! ;D

Offline vandy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:35 PM »
What I did was start with a radio shack project box,(big) that is bolted to the smaller box,(UV light is in this box) I drilled a couple holes threw both box's, and ran my battery wires threw them. I hooked up a on/off switch to the UV light(switch has a light in it,it might draw more then the UV light)
I also hooked up a plug in to power my shack lights.

And I can unplug it and bring the unit in and plug it into my charger.

Another reason I made it portable, is if I am fishing out of someone elses shack.
I might have to make the hole in the top a little bigger,after we get some ice so I can check it.

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:45 PM »
Nice! Thanks!!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:48 PM »
I really like both your guys set ups. I think I'm going to make the battery box/uv light when I have time. Ill post up pics for you guys when I start it. First I need to have my wife help me sew a soft pack for my ice troller.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.