Author Topic: Fishing Eielson Lakes  (Read 5735 times)

Offline AKCarl

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing Eielson Lakes
« on: Dec 01, 2009, 05:37 PM »
I was thinking about heading over to the lakes out across from Eielson. What do i need to do before I go fish there. I have never fished those lakes before but remember some people talking about stopping by the gate and registering or something.

Thanks
Carl

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
Re: Fishing Eielson Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2009, 06:49 PM »
You need a USARAK Recreational permit (RAP). You can obtain them at the Visitor Center at the front gate on Wainwright. If you get an AF one from Eielson at the Natural Resources building by the old gas station you have to take a class for the AF one but the Army one you don't. They are free and you just need to follow their rules when doing recreational things on the military reservations. Like you need to call a number if you plan on going 4 wheeling or hunting and the Army one is also good for Air Force property as well. USARTRAK.

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 01:09 AM »
When are you going Carl?  I have the next $ days off

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Well put Brad!

Carl, I went out this past weekend with my boys and did well on the salmon/char on Polaris lake.  Hidden lake was deadish for pike with a couple stunted pike to show.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline AKCarl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:13 PM »
I was thinking about going to the lakes across from the gate. On google earth they look good size. I also wanted to hit up Moose Slough for a bit while I was out that way. You interested in going for a bit tomorrow?

Carl

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Jim...what no muskrat stories for us...LOL

Carl...you can also try Mullins pit for pike it's out by the tank farm on Eielson.

Offline Muddskippa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Quartz Lake Rainbow
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2009, 10:16 PM »
Get your permit through Ft Wainwright so you dont have to go through the nut roll at Eielson all the lake on that side of the highway have decent fish in them but I always had my best luck in Grayling lake its got a few small pike and salmon but decent bows and char.
good luck,
Muddskippa
~~~~\\\"Si vis pacem, para bellum\\\"~~~~ <>< <\\\")))))><<br />

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:29 AM »
Brad,
No rats on ice so far this year!  I did see some push ups out on Polaris, so I know they're actively searching for a shack to make there home in! ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:16 PM »
I hope big brother isn't watching my computer.  I'm thinking about sneaking out to Hidden this afternoon.  If anyone else can escape, swing on out and drop a line.

Offline upnorth12345

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Is it fair to ask where Grayling lake is?  Sounds fairly close to home and easy for me.

Thanks

Mark

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:29 PM »
Is it fair to ask where Grayling lake is?  Sounds fairly close to home and easy for me.

Thanks

Mark

Grayling Lake is right across the Rich. Hwy. from Eilson.  If you're coming from North Pole, you take a right about a mile or so after the road necks down from four to two lanes onto a road with an "access by permit only" sign, then take a left after you get to the first intersection on the gravel.   You can't miss it, the lake's at the very end of the road to your left.  Also, most of the lakes around the area have signs with their names.  You can also try Google Maps, it's pretty handy for finding new fishin' holes.  It doesn't have all of the lake names, but it can give you a general idea if you know what you're looking for.  On there, Grayling is the most southern lake of the chain just to the west of Eilson.  Hope this does more good than harm.  Good luck, I haven't had any there myself so far...  Oh, you also need a R.A.P. permit unless you like running through the woods.

Offline upnorth12345

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2009, 01:33 AM »
Thanks Bandit!  That does help.  I'll fire up google earth also and do some looking that way.

What is an R.A.P. permit?  Guess I better google that too.

I appreciate the directions.

Mark

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Thanks Bandit!  That does help.  I'll fire up google earth also and do some looking that way.

What is an R.A.P. permit?  Guess I better google that too.

I appreciate the directions.

Mark

A RAP card is a recreational access pass. It is required by anyone (each and everyone / no group cards) to have when you are on military (Army/Air Force property in Alaska) land in alaska for recreation (camping fishing hunting atv snow machine or even walking your dog...and anything else not covered above) If on Army area you must call in USARTRAK and follow the directions for a reservation. If on Air Force area land there is no call in required. The Air Force accepts the Army RAP card and the Army accepts the Air Force's RAP
A RAP card is free. You must have a fishing liscense if you tell them your going fishing when you go to get one. You must have a hunting liscense and hunters safety card for hunting (no matter what age you are).
Info on links below:

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservation/REC_home.htm

How to use it:

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservation/REC_USARTRAK.htm

FWA/DTA areas

http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservation/files/FWA_USARTRAK_Summer2008.pdf

Offline upnorth12345

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Thanks!  I didn't know that.  I'll read up on it with the links you provided.

Thanks again.

Mark

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Brad,
No rats on ice so far this year!  I did see some push ups out on Polaris, so I know they're actively searching for a shack to make there home in! ;D

Hey you know rats could be good for having in your shack....they could keep your holes open.  I think i need to catch a few pet muskrats for my shack :P

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:05 AM »
So Bandit how did you do on the lake?

Jake,  I'd love to export you a couple swamp rats!  Did you get your shack out yet?
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:52 PM »
So Bandit how did you do on the lake?

One 8" pike.  Could have threw him in a jar and just pickled the whole thing.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:58 PM »
might not get the shack out this year...to much snow and the shack is too heavy...I guess i'll be more mobile this year now that I have a snow machine

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Hey Jake,

if you make it up this way and need partner let me know, I  got a portable otter and a sled...would love some tutledge on this style of burbot fishing.  Contemplating nenana.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2009, 12:52 PM »
would love to, but i can't see it happening in the forseeable future...when we do get up that way we're pretty booked with friends and usually are only there for a couple days.  Plus the young kids, 20 months and 6 months old...makes it hard to get away for serious icefishing trips.  Took them out yesterday and it was a disaster,  overflow, wind, rotton firewood, 15 minute snowmachine ride....not ideal....maybe had bait down for 15 minutes, no bites....i don't know what i was thinking. :P  anyways Barley dog has hit the burbot with me before so maybe he'd go with ya...I'm sure the river has changed since the good ol' days though...anyhow here's the best tip i can give you for the tanana, slow deep water with no frazel ice...if you can find that you'll be in the burbot.

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:42 PM »
frazel ice on top?  not sure what frazel ice is?

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:49 PM »
no...frazel ice is loose ice underneath the ice...drill a hole and you'll be scooping ice out nearly indefinately.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.