• IceShanty Rookie
Re: shanty windows breaking/cracking in the cold
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:37 PM »
How cold does it really get there?

Offline saranacjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2006, 09:02 PM »
Are your windows cracking as you are folding up for the night or day? If so the only thing i could think of is try to get it home in one piece and let the plastic warm up before folding.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2006, 09:15 PM »
we have the same problems up here in n. maine. - 20f or lower you are almost guaranteed to split a window. i patch mine with the clear seam sealing tape. i try to fold mine as soon as i take the heat out of it. other than that i dont know what else could be done.

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2006, 10:45 PM »
How cold does it really get there?

To answer your question, the other day we were fishing at 10 below with a 30 below windchill and that was warm except for the windchill. It was 36 below at my house the night before according to my wife. 20 below is about average for this time of year.

The thing with the windows blowing out is the time that the gear is in the cold going from town to the lakes we usually fish at. It does not take long for things in the truck bed to get brittle when traveling at 55-60 mph for 30 miles or more at 10 or 20 below. Right when we go to set up the, windows seem to crack.

I guess a solution would be to put some heat near the windows before putting the tent up. A better solution would be for a more flexible material to be used for extreme climates. I know the material is out there somewhere but it's up to us to push the manufacturer to start using it. This is not the only place in America where it gets below zero.

Brad

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2006, 02:37 AM »
Saran wrap and duct tape  :P
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2006, 03:05 AM »
It wont flex when folding, but why not try incorporating lexan or plexiglas into it. If your windows are not
on a fold point, and you have a way to adhere it, it might work.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:04 AM »
I see the new Frabil has windows that are velcroed in place. This would allow you to keep them in a warm place before set up (a cooler with a heat pack?) and remove them before you fold down and store them in a safe place.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:09 AM »
I see the new Frabil has windows that are velcroed in place. This would allow you to keep them in a warm place before set up (a cooler with a heat pack?) and remove them before you fold down and store them in a safe place.

Spike

my eskimo lodge also has velcro around the edges of the windows...they are all removable

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:13 AM »

Spike

That's the answer.  My older frabill duplex had the sewn on windows, 20 below and they would crack.  My new triplex they have velcro on them, you can take them off and stack them in a flat spot in the shanty and no more cracked windows :thumbsup: It also makes it easier to look out when they are fogged up, just pull them down for a look.   ;D

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2006, 05:16 AM »
just remember too, the wind isnt affecting your shanty cold wise, It might add extra pressure on the window making it crack. THe window itself is only going to be the exact temperature outside, the windchill doesnt matter. I have no Idea what you could do? Maybe try that huge clear tape they have, I know we use it at my work, its like giant scotch tape. Just tape the entire window, it will still crack but it will hold together.
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:37 AM »
I have a Frabill XLT and I remove the windows and lay them flat before I put the shack down on the tub. One nice thing is you can get replacements.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ejensen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I have a Frailly XLT and I remove the windows and lay them flat before I put the shack down on the tub. One nice thing is you can get replacements.

My Eskimo quick flip II also has windows that has Velcro sewed all the way around them and if one breaks you just cut more plastic to size and Velcro it back on.

Ed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.