Author Topic: Catch Cover alternatives  (Read 1018 times)

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
Catch Cover alternatives
« on: Feb 27, 2016, 10:17 PM »
Has anyone made their own catch cover type hole cover?  I need something just a touch smaller than the ones on the market. 

I built a platform sled for a 5' x 5' hub where I won't have to anchor anything down directly to the ice.  I was about to jump on an FX100 or a Bay Runner but then stumbled onto a damn good deal on a Clam Tamarack and thought..."hmmm, I can make that very, very portable."    Set the hub up on the sled, anchor it to anchor points on the sled and voila...a portable hub.  There have been a few examples of this posted on this site but this concept is slightly different and based on user feedback on those designs they were pretty heavy.  This one is manageable.  For example, there will be sort of a "basket" or "cage" if you will built out of PVC that will provide support to the walls.  This will eliminate the need to anchor any guy lines down to the ice.  All support and anchor points are self contained on the sled itself.  Loaded up with gear I was able to pull it around on a muddy lawn so optimism exists that it's going to be a breeze on snow/ice. 

Since space is a bit limited inside with the way the platform is built the regular catch covers are just a tick too big.  If they were 2 inches smaller it would be ideal.  With a 16 inch outer diameter they won't work with this set up.  I have one section on the floor that is hinged and flips up but that's in the center of one of the sides and I'd like to have hole access in a couple of the corners.  So if anyone has any unique concoctions I'm all ears.  There are a few ideas being kicked around in my head that could potentially work but if someone has something better go for it. 

Offline afritz_07

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Catch Cover alternatives
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Got any pictures?

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:07 AM »
I'll post pictures when I iron out a few of the other nuances so that this question can remain focused on the floor.  I suspect the entirety of the whole thing will open up more discussion but for now I'm holding off. 

The floor is basic for the most part.  I'm just looking for backyard engineered catch cover ideas without going the old fashioned route of simply cutting a hole in the floor and making a cover out of plywood. 

Offline afritz_07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2016, 09:40 AM »
It's kind of hard to throw ideas out when you're not able to visualize the task at hand

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.