Author Topic: Shanty Security  (Read 2933 times)

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shanty Security
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:25 AM »
I had to put my shanty build on hold this spring, but this has given me more time to go over my plans and revamp some of my ideas.  I already have a ton of money invested in this build.  Hopefully this will be my last build so I want my shanty to be nice and comfy.  My plan is to mainly pull it out and spend four or five days out on the lake at a time then pull it off and go someplace else the next week.  I know that there is no way off keeping out the thieves. If they want in, they are going to get in.  I don't plan on leaving the shanty unattended for any period of time, but there is always the beer run or dinner at the bar that my turn into a couple eight hours.  So my thought is to mount window guards on my shanty to keep thieves from climbing in the windows. I will have three 24 x 24 inch windows on one side and a 24 x48 inch on the other side.  I like windows and want to see what is going on when I fish, I can't do the small little plexi glass eye holes.  What do you guys/gals think of this idea?

surflizard

Re: Shanty Security
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 11:43 AM »
As long as your wall materials are 1/2 plywood or better that can't be kicked in, those grates should do the trick !

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2012, 12:04 PM »
It's going to be built on a large pop up camper.  I am going to keep the bottom part of the camper and frame the rest from the floor up.  I was planning on using the ribbed metal sheeting that is used on metal roofing and storage building siding. Then insulate and use cedar tongue and grove on the interior.  I was thinking of mounting the window guards with bolts and washers all the way through the studs.  They would have to pull the whole wall off to get the window guards off.

Offline IceMarc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:01 PM »
I would look at a car(12v) alarm system w a remote and a strobe light....

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2012, 02:55 PM »
I don't have the strobe light yet, but I do have have four infrared security cameras with dvr ;D

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:41 PM »
If you get a chance, take a look at Joe dirts "popup camper build" post, it is chock full of metal roofing and metal trim tricks and tips !

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Believe me, I have read them all.  Lots of great info.  That thread is the reason that I decided to go with the metal panels.  Originally I was going to use vinyl siding but figured it would get to brittle bouncing around the lake.  My buddy is a professional carpenter and has worked with metal buildings so that is a big plus for me.  Probably not a plus for him though, he has to figure out how to tie in my ideas.

Offline TEAMGRIPPER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2012, 09:38 PM »
My thinking here is the better it looks on the outside the more they want to get inside.  There was a rash of break ins last year in my neck of the woods and the one thing that stood out was all the houses in the area that had tv antenas got looted.  These chumps looked for clumps of houses out away from shore and hit all the nice looking ones and passed by the rest.

If it looks like you got something good in there you will be a target.  I however am I more of the other type of guy!  I would secure the crap out of it and say I'd like to see you try and get in.  Unfortunatly with all the cordless tools made these days they probably will but its worth a try.  Just paint the outside rust color and install your widow grates crooked so it looks like a peice of crap. 

“I am, Sir, a brother of the angle" - Sir Izaak Walton

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2012, 06:36 AM »
That is why I don't plan on leaving it unattended for any period of time.  I just want to be able to fish/sleep in comfort for a three to five day stretch without having to come home.  Then I will pull it off until the next outing.  The only length of time that I can foresee being away from it would be for beer or bait runs.  Worst case, I can try to get the pizza delivery guy to deliver to me out in the middle of the lake.  ;D

Offline amcmullen

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I may be obsessed...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2012, 08:14 AM »
Boy with that fancy iron work you'll be sure to be a target...might as well paint a bullseye on the side! ;D

My buddies hunting shack has homemade  'bars' in the window.  He bolted in eye bolts top and bottom about four inches apart.  Then runs a sturdy cable through the holes and pulls everything tight.  He made the cable just long enough so he can masterlock it to the frame of the building. The lock is far enough away so a thief can't reach it.  When it's set you cant spread the cable far enough to get in.  When using the place you can take it down.
I'm cold and I like it

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2012, 11:01 AM »
My goal is to make it look nice so that in the off season when it is parked in my yard it doesn't look like a boxed turd.

Offline roostertale1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:59 PM »
is your main door secure.....we put a handle lock and dead bolt on ours....also reinforced thr lock side with steel. also i have made plywood inserts to go over the insides of the windows held in place with slide bolts....works great

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:13 AM »
I'm still working on the door details.  I am thinking about going with a $150 home depot or menards entry door and going from there.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:38 AM »
Now don't forget to compliment your steel door with a solar powered electric fencer!
Just don't forget to shut it off before you grab the door or that circle of yellow ice in front of the door will be from you!  :roflmao:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:47 AM »
Your best bet is to not leave anything in it of value. Just because you have it locked up don't mean nothin'. Someone hooked a strap or chain up to my cousins door and pulled it right off the shack with there truck. The only thing he had in there was a little bag of bobbers that they didn't touch.

After that happened i don't leave anything in mine that i care about losing. I also no longer lock my shack. If someone wants in they can simply walk in and see that there is nothing of value. Also in an emergency someone can light a fire in the woodstove to stay warm. If i go out there and someone is using my shack to fish.....well i guess i am facing murder 1.

Offline Rightarm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:59 AM »
A picture of my mother in law would keep the thieves away.  That always scares the hell out of me.  Second thought, it could scare the fish away.  Too drastic.  Sorry.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:32 AM »
A picture of my mother in law would keep the thieves away.  That always scares the hell out of me.  Second thought, it could scare the fish away.  Too drastic.  Sorry.

Bahahaha!!

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Now that's a thought, Fathead makes those big sports wall stick ups.  I wonder if they do custom orders of mother in laws?

Offline saskfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:17 PM »
remember, the daughter usally turns out like the mother..... i feel sorry for you :P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:27 PM »
remember, the daughter usally turns out like the mother..... i feel sorry for you :P
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Don't leave anything that you can't replace or I should say don't mind replacing....
Locked doors just keep the honest folks out.

MD

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I'll just put this sign on the door

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:28 PM »
Lol that's a good sign were ca you buy them I realy want one ;D

Offline flyangler00