Author Topic: Fisher kids  (Read 1149 times)

Offline SteveTheChimneySweep

• IceShanty Rookie
Fisher kids
« on: Apr 14, 2019, 11:31 PM »
My boy turned 7 yesterday, so i took him to Walmart for a fishing pole.  Told him i would during the week, and he was pumped up for it.  So off we go, he picks out a little UglyStik dock runner, 36 inch ultra light.  Had to have the blue tackle box to go with it.  Then he wanted to pick one out for his sister, a little Frozen themed spin-caster. 

So today after the chores and grocery run we stopped for some bait, all they had left were some meal worms.  We went to Whitehall pond in Rutland, MA easy access not a lot of brush near the water perfect for newbie's.  I did the casting to start and in the first 5 minutes he had a  blue gill, didn't even get the girl set up yet.  So the wife took over with my son while I set up the little one with hers, boy catches number 2, another little blue gill.  He posed for the camera and was ready to go all day.  Finally we got the little one a fish,  she would only reel in a little bit and gave it back to me, she is almost 5, but thought it was great.  They are now hooked and can't wait to go again.  The plan is to get out this week with my son for April vacation.  Don't need to catch quality just quantity to make it fun.

Wife is also super happy to get back out fishing again,  She loved using the small rods, and i must admit they were very handy and fun to use.

A great kick off to the spring and summer fishing.  I told him once he gets better at casting and fishing in general we can bring his friends for a fishing play date,( still sounds weird to me).

Have fun this summer.

Thanks
Steve

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fisher kids
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2019, 12:09 AM »
Very cool. I enjoy fishing and the outdoors with my kids.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2019, 06:04 AM »
way to go Dad, good job.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2019, 07:50 AM »
It was a lot of fun, I never even took a rod out of the truck.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:20 AM »
I have fished with 2 granddaughters and it was a total blast! The younger 1 didn't know how to reel so she just ran backwards when she got a fish on!! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2019, 08:53 AM »
The younger 1 didn't know how to reel so she just ran backwards when she got a fish on!! ;D
  My brother does that, and he is almost 50 years old.

The little one would just reel 3 -5 times and hand it back, but it counted for her.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2019, 06:35 AM »
when my 2nd family was young( 2,2,31/2,5yo) i bought them    B&M telescoping poles from BPS ,n, after the   smallest watched their older sisters a few times, they got it, n, started catching their own fish. didn,t use spinning ,til about 7 or 8. i still use them for crappie during the spawn. still fun. wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.