The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fished spencer  (Read 4176 times)

Offline TogueRogue

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fished spencer
« Reply #30 on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:21 PM »
I looked in the official Maine Fishing Laws book and could not find anything referencing a 30 minute rule but here is what I does say and I would focus on the word immediate I guess.... I’m not siding either way here just contributing relevant information.

Page 7
Supervision of Lines: All lines must be under the immediate supervision of the person who set them.

I looked up the definition of "immediate":  "at once; in an instant; without delay; not deferred by ANY instant of time"
Unless one is standing next to their trap when the flag goes off, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to observe the letter of the law as written. This law should be changed, removintg the word "immediate", and denoting a fair amount of time one should be allocated to reasonably get to and tend the line. Crazy how ambiguous and gray the law is and this just allows GW's to interpret as they see fit......TR

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:56 PM »
Please don't think I was siding against you jfisherman, is that was not my intent, rather, just offering another take.  Of course we have all done what you got pinched for, you just happened to be the one who got caught.  A do remember Loves to Fish mentioning about a 30 minute grace years ago on here as JDK eluded to.  As i remember it though, it wasn't something written, it was just a directive from the top.  That's were the trouble can come in, more "gray area."

Offline Boglake

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 04, 2018, 09:51 PM »
It’s opinion based, good to hear both sides of the argument. I was gone for 30 minuets my best argument is I was in distance where I could still see flags go up. I was talking to a guy that had a tun of knowledge, 30 minuets went quick. I was stunned to find out my buddy got a ticket for unattended traps 6 years ago an it was 150$ so I’m planning on at least 180$. Pretty steep price for being a nice drive off the tee an a 7 iron away from ur trap.

Offline Sampson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2018, 04:38 AM »
Tin cup?

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:07 AM »
I had a buddy two years ago get busted for unattended traps when he was going back to camp to use the bathroom (about a half mile away) and his sled died.  was probably gone an hour total.  Later that afternoon (about 3 hours later) a warden showed up and ticketed him for unattended traps.  The warden admitted to seeing the whole thing with the sled breaking down and all, but didn't write the ticket until hours later once he had already been back fishing for quite some time.  If the warden saw him broken down wouldn't it of been better for him to help?  That's the stuff that gets me......

Offline allagashking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2018, 10:20 AM »
ID go to court fight it.Wiling to bet warden wont even show up on court date knows you are from away.if u can see and have snowmobile how is that illegal?
arnie may your bait allways be under the ice.

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #37 on: Mar 06, 2018, 06:28 PM »
No, that about covers it, we've all been guilty, some times it gets you some times it doesn't , the only thing you left out was the "cute, cuddly animals," miss Buddah and the rest of you guys, hope all is well. :tipup:
We need to get the crew together for a trip!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:12 AM »

Hey buddy!  Anytime! @)

Offline Steamingholes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2018, 05:47 AM »
Doesn’t matter if she doesn’t show. Warden only needs to submit a written report and the regional/deputy warden at the courthouse handles it. You can plead your case to them but still have to go in front of the judge then he will schedule a future court date to make a decision

Offline FishPaws

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I'd be game. Maybe a little too late for this year.?. But the lake mentioned in this thread was a good time... if you know anyone with a camp up around there.  ::)   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.