Author Topic: Waubay/ Webster South Dakota trip  (Read 1885 times)

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Waubay/ Webster South Dakota trip
« on: Sep 08, 2017, 01:42 PM »
Looking to take a trip around New Years in the waubay Webster area, mainly looking to get into some perch and the occasional Walleye. Not sure about about doing a guided trip or not, might be worth it to learn from some locals, open to any suggestions, really just want to get out of our comfort zones.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Waubay/ Webster South Dakota trip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Talk to or call sportsmans cove in Webster city.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2017, 11:45 PM »
I heard there was a land dispute that has been heating up the past few years that finally boiled over causing at least one of the lakes in that area to be closed. You heard about this one Agronimist?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2017, 10:04 AM »
They closed 25 lakes and re-opened 24 of them. Non-meandered water on private land can be posted "NO TRESPASSING" by land owners. It's still a mess here and probably will be for years in my opinion. Reetz is the lake that is still closed. Waubay and Bitter Lakes were never closed.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:23 AM »
The SD GF&P is still in negotiations with the Reetz family on renewing the lease for the property that the public ramp is located on.  I have caught wind that the family wants to change the regulations before they reopen the lake.  That could possibly mean an opportunity to keep a couple walleyes for the fryer while maintaining the trophy potential.  I could see 2 under 20" or 1 over 28" as a realistic possibility.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Am I understanding this correctly....most of the glacial lakes in NE SD are private lakes that the "owners" rent out rights to? Are all of the lakes like this? I would assume some of the lakes have multiple "owners" then? Kind of an interesting concept.
Da Pack!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2017, 11:16 AM »
We are talking about non-meandered waters. The ground under "non-meandered" water is privately owned and could be accessed from public lands or roads. The land under "meandered water" is state owned as I understand it. Now land owners can mark their submerged property with buoys to keep you off of it. The state is negotiating with landowners for access and some landowners will want limited access controlled by them, smaller limits on "their water" and of course G,F&P should keep them stocked. Gonna be a while before this gets sorted out.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2017, 12:30 PM »
I did a quick google search on it and it sounds like a pretty interesting situation. I've never heard of anything like that before. I can see where the dilemma comes into play. Hopefully the owners and SD GF&P manage it well, I'd hate for such a fertile fishing habitat go to waste...Especially one that is only a couple hours from me :)
Da Pack!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2017, 12:41 PM »
SD GF&P is supposed to be working on maps of accessable waters in NESD. I'm sure this will take some time before printed maps are available.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2017, 05:17 PM »
Guys I don't think any of us will understand the issue fully, hence why I usually stop and talk to Doug at sportsmans cove. He tends to be helpful and point a guy in the right direction.

What I do know is they have plenty of good lakes in that area that can be fished, and the perch are fat piggies eating all those freshwater shrimp. The walleye and northern tend to feed well off the perch. I mean just the major lakes like Bitter, Waubay, Thompson, Ponsite sp? and some others are great fishing. I remember when reetz wasn't even being talked about......Doug drew us a map and said to us this is one of the recent spots that guys were finding fish it is pretty new they call it reetz you need to try it...........Heck I hear more names of lakes and spots every year, there is no shortage of good fishing up that way. The key is to have a good map of all the lakes with the names, and some friendly helpful buddies or people like Doug to point you towards the lake that has the bite on. The difference in just a little info like that tends to be the deciding factor in a trip with limits or a skunk.

I mean when the South Dakota guys complain about all the people driving over from Minnesota to fish the area you know it is good fishing.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Great info so far. I want to have a good handle on the area before I head that way, sounds like I will definitely have to stop by sportsmans cove and probably call a few times. I have been looking at google earth a lot and scouring the web for maps and lake info. It's like here in Iowa where there are few enough lakes that almost all of them have a descent depth map. I would love to get into some South Dakota perch! Any info is good! Thanks!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2017, 09:47 PM »
Great info so far. I want to have a good handle on the area before I head that way, sounds like I will definitely have to stop by sportsmans cove and probably call a few times. I have been looking at google earth a lot and scouring the web for maps and lake info. It's like here in Iowa where there are few enough lakes that almost all of them have a descent depth map. I would love to get into some South Dakota perch! Any info is good! Thanks!

SDGF should have maps and stocking info....most of it isn't very up to date due to the lakes growth...I think the bitter maps is super old......Like now goose lake and bitter are connected and one lake...Plus the middle of bitter is like 31+ ft in depth.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Where is the best place to stay on the cheap?

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2017, 10:04 AM »
Not sure if you're interested in a sleeper but I just booked a shack for a weekend with JRs. $500 for the weekend or $225/night during the week for 4 people. $125/person is pretty cheap compared to what I've paid for sleepers in Minnesota....
Da Pack!

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Where is the best place to stay on the cheap?

I deer hunt up there and this is where we stay... All the comforts of home at a great price!

http://bearsdenlodging.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.