Author Topic: Smoke em if you got em?  (Read 4170 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Smoke em if you got em?
« on: Dec 18, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Went out and bought some round steaks 4 to be exact 2.82 pound total so I decided to make some smoked pepper beef jerky

Here's what's in the marinade
1)2.82 pounds eye of round or roast sliced then aginst the grain.
2)2tea spoons garlic powder
3)1cup soy sauce
4)1/2cup Worcestershire Sauce
5)1/2 cup brown sugar
6)2 tea spoons onion powder
7)2 tea spoons red pepper flakes
8) 2 tea spoon black pepper flakes
9)1 cup beer or beef stock I used beer
10) optional.. 1 tespoon pink salt or pargue  powder

Mix all ingredients mix well to disolve sugar..
Marinade 8 to 24 hours

Then pre heat smoker oven or dehyrater to 170*f  transFer to grill or grate then add additonial black  pepper as needed ..smoke\cook 2 to 3 hours some thicker piece 4to5 hrs check often looking for jerky that is drying evenly and is firm and pliable but not soft or to dry and breaks if it breaks it's cooked to long ..
Store in zip lock bags will last week's if you did not add in curing salt it will lady a couple weeks in the refrigearator..

Just got back from store and steak is cut in to strips and is maninading as of 10 minute I will smoke it tomorrow when I get a chance will see how it all come out??  I will post pictures when it's all done!!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smoke em if you got em?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Will let you know how it tastes when done this picture is after one hour of smoking pepper beef jerky.. tell you one thing it smell darn good so far!!  I have only add about a hand full of wood chips in the last 2 hours of smoking just a heads up there cherry wood chips soaked in water .

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Sure looks good!

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:36 PM »
mmmm good  ;)

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2018, 04:40 PM »
whats the pink Salt ?  ???

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2018, 05:21 PM »
whats the pink Salt ?  ???

I was wondering if they were talking Himalayan pink salt??  Not sure my self??  is why I did not use it!!  the jerky came out awesome just a heads up.. I did 1/4 inch by 1/4 strips and it only took 3 hours to cook less then two hand fulls of chips in that whole time !! More cooking then smoking the meat!! so there not over done!!

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:00 PM »
I thought they were talking about real salt. because it"s pink too.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:07 PM »
It's pink curing salt. It's also got some nitrate in it. Really, a good addition toward safe food. Nitrates are not evil, just gotta watch how much of that you consume.

Here's some more info: https://www.thespruceeats.com/pink-salt-using-nitrates-to-cure-meat-1447029

We use a little dab in our cold smoked venison summer sausage. Got a batch fresh out of the smokehouse doing a little extra drying as I type.Should be good to go by Christmas day  :thumbsup:

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2018, 07:56 PM »
esox, is that your summer sausage recipe you posted earlier?  Im planning to try it out. 

Chilly, I like to cut my jerky strips somewhat with the grain, so it has some tear to it.  Yours looks really good! 

I need to dust off the smoker for this weekend!!  Totally getting the itch to smoke, and no fishable ice by me yet.   :'(

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:29 PM »
esox, is that your summer sausage recipe you posted earlier?  Im planning to try it out. 

Chilly, I like to cut my jerky strips somewhat with the grain, so it has some tear to it.  Yours looks really good! 

I need to dust off the smoker for this weekend!!  Totally getting the itch to smoke, and no fishable ice by me yet.   :'(

Yep! See below for the recipe. Now I have to go kill myself for revealing the secret...  ::) :roflmao:

Willard’s Rocket Fuel
Secret Sausage Recipe

Here is the basic summer sausage seasoning recipe as developed by Bill XXXXXX, based on top secret information from long time cold smoked sausage maker Elroy XXXXXX. (Measures in () are for 5#)

1 cup   - Salt (non iodized canning, pickling or Kosher) (3.2 Tbsp)

½ cup – Sugar (1.5 Tbsp)

¼ cup – Pepper (2.5 tsp)

1 Tb – Pink cure (1/8 tsp)

2 tsp – Coriander (ground) (heavy ¼ tsp)

1 tsp – Thyme (ground) (heavy 1/8 tsp)

This is the basis for all permutations for high quality cold smoked summer sausage. The seasoning package presented here is enough for 25# of mixed meat for sausage. See below for additional flavoring options.

Other Flavor Options

Double Pepper - another ¼ cup (2.5 tsp)

Mustard Seed – 1/3 cup to ½ cup (1 – 1.5 Tbsp)

Garlic Powder – 1/8 cup (1.25 tsp)

Light Heat – 1 T ground Habanero (heavy ½ tsp for 5# or 1/8 tsp per individual pound)

Hotter – 2 T ground Habanero

This year Bill got distracted while weighing spice packets out and used a Tbsp instead of a tsp for both the thyme and coriander. He and I elected to try the "mistake by the lake". He called today and said it was great. I'm waiting till Sunday to cut one open but I can't think that it will be bad. Just different (and maybe only just a little).

For smoke we've been using maple chunks with cherry sawdust. Geeez. I'll never make it till Sunday... :P

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:01 AM »
awesome....im doing this, this weekend. I'll get some venison out tonight...one quick question.  What temp are you cold smoking at, 170-180?  And do you go for an internal temp? (165?). I planed down some cherry planks so plenty of cherry sawdust/shavings in a bag just waiting to be used!!  Oh, and do you use a mix of pork and venison, or some other fat source?  20%? 30%?  Sorry for the questions, if you want to PM me you can.....

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:17 AM »
It's pink curing salt. It's also got some nitrate in it. Really, a good addition toward safe food. Nitrates are not evil, just gotta watch how much of that you consume.

Here's some more info: https://www.thespruceeats.com/pink-salt-using-nitrates-to-cure-meat-1447029

We use a little dab in our cold smoked venison summer sausage. Got a batch fresh out of the smokehouse doing a little extra drying as I type.Should be good to go by Christmas day  :thumbsup:

Prague Powder/ Speed Cure is often tinted pink for safety reasons. It otherwise looks like salt and if confused could be deadly. The small amount needed to develop the cured color and flavor is safe and provides safety against some pathogenic bacteria Clostridium botulinum specifically. (Causes "Botulism".) It is generally 6.25% Sodium nitrite using salt as a "carrier".
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2018, 10:20 AM »
awesome....im doing this, this weekend. I'll get some venison out tonight...one quick question.  What temp are you cold smoking at, 170-180?  And do you go for an internal temp? (165?). I planed down some cherry planks so plenty of cherry sawdust/shavings in a bag just waiting to be used!!  Oh, and do you use a mix of pork and venison, or some other fat source?  20%? 30%?  Sorry for the questions, if you want to PM me you can.....

That's not cold smoke. Our upper limit is 100 with a preferred range of 70 - 90. You're not cooking this (really, it's raw meat) so internal temp does not apply. We've got one of those indoor/outdoor thermometers on the smokehouse so we can monitor temp without opening the door, 4 vents: top and bottom/front and back. We use an old modified Weber kettle on three cinder blocks inside the door with the heat/smoke separated from the sausage buy a couple metal siding sheets for a heat shield.

Our meat mix is 60/40 vennie and pork. 15# of vennie with 10# of pork makes a 25# batch. I don't care, no trade secrets here  ;D This year with moderate temps it went in Saturday afternoon and came out Monday noon and was beautiful. Make sure you use casings that will take smoke (collagen or fiber, not plastic) Bill (our wurstmeister) goes by the color of the sausage to determine "doneness" though I've come to believe that 48 - 60 hours is a good amount in almost every case.

Sausage gets stuffed Friday, hangs and dries till it goes in the smokehouse Saturday. Once out, it hangs until you want to eat it. Best in 7 - 10 days or it's still very soft. You can hang one on a nail in your garage and eat it this time next year too. No refrigeration. It'll shrink from 2.5" to the size of a pepperoni and if you hit someone with it you'd kill 'em. Very good, very different, sliced paper thin it's a unique treat.

Friday night, all done, working on tequila and peanuts...

x2 on mjmeyers' observation. Pink curing salt should NEVER be substituted for regular table salt.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2018, 12:54 PM »
WOW!!  Thats some sausage!!  Im impressed. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2018, 03:14 PM »
One more thing (now I feel like Columbo), make sure you use those clear(ish) casings instead of the brown ones or you won't be able to gauge color. The stuff in the pic above is before it goes for smoke. When it comes out it'll look like this:

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2018, 05:14 PM »
One more thing (now I feel like Columbo), make sure you use those clear(ish) casings instead of the brown ones or you won't be able to gauge color. The stuff in the pic above is before it goes for smoke. When it comes out it'll look like this:

.  Those look amazing! :clap:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 21, 2018, 05:04 AM »
Back OT... Dang Chilly, that looks awesome. And thank you for reminding me that smoked jerky is waaaay better than any other way. We've done some in the smokehouse when we do sausage and it's killer. Got one more round of sausage coming up on the 18th. I'ma get me round steak and "Chilly-ize" 'em!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Back OT... Dang Chilly, that looks awesome. And thank you for reminding me that smoked jerky is waaaay better than any other way. We've done some in the smokehouse when we do sausage and it's killer. Got one more round of sausage coming up on the 18th. I'ma get me round steak and "Chilly-ize" 'em!

Nice!! Mine came out awesome be carefull not to over smoke them!! Also if you have to fish off in oven .. I am sure you know this your a pro!! Lol's but just letting others know!! I doused them in pepper before smoking these are awesome tell you the truth got about 2.5 pounds out of it all shank a bit but meat was very lean.. was thinking to try the dousing with red pepper flakes for insane spicyness. After chopping on a few in the beff jerky that were done it would work is all I can say!!

Oh ya esox_xtm feel free to get off topic in my threads and posts I am very for giving when it comes to this.. cause it gets people talking like a meet and greet.. that's what this sites about is to have fun off ice and on!!  I don't mind as long as there no trying to piss any one off..  I am fine with it..

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:47 PM »

Nice!! Mine came out awesome be carefull not to over smoke them!! Also if you have to fish off in oven .. I am sure you know this your a pro!! Lol's but just letting others know!! I doused them in pepper before smoking these are awesome tell you the truth got about 2.5 pounds out of it all shank a bit but meat was very lean.. was thinking to try the dousing with red pepper flakes for insane spicyness. After chopping on a few in the beff jerky that were done it would work is all I can say!!

Oh ya esox_xtm feel free to get off topic in my threads and posts I am very for giving when it comes to this.. cause it gets people talking like a meet and greet.. that's what this sites about is to have fun off ice and on!!  I don't mind as long as there no trying to piss any one off..  I am fine with it..

Thanks Chilly, as you know I can be a bit of a blabbermouth  :P ;D

For my last batches of oven jerky I made 1 "regular" and the other hot. Sprinkled habanero flakes on plus some heat in the marinade.

I'm a pretty broken guy where my "hot button" is concerned.  ::)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2018, 02:54 PM »

Whether or not nitrates are that bad for you or not, I get migraines from consuming them. Which is a real shame because I can't eat processed meats without taking loads of asprin to counter some of the effects (so i tend not to eat processed meats with nitrates). Whenever I make any sausages or the like, I have to cook it without nitrates which significantly decreases the shelf life. So, yes nitrates are definitely a nice preservative, but my body absolutely despises them haha. Just something to consider when making or consuming any processed meats. As much as I enjoy a nice hotdog or deli meat, the aftermath is not worth it for me.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:14 PM »
Whether or not nitrates are that bad for you or not, I get migraines from consuming them. Which is a real shame because I can't eat processed meats without taking loads of asprin to counter some of the effects (so i tend not to eat processed meats with nitrates). Whenever I make any sausages or the like, I have to cook it without nitrates which significantly decreases the shelf life. So, yes nitrates are definitely a nice preservative, but my body absolutely despises them haha. Just something to consider when making or consuming any processed meats. As much as I enjoy a nice hotdog or deli meat, the aftermath is not worth it for me.

Some people can be very sensitive to nitrates. Even salad bar stuff is often sprayed with a nitrate or sulfite solution so the greens stay looking fresh. And that is a shame Noon... Not sure what I'd do if it were me. I love sausage of all kinds. Ham too and bacon and bacon and bacon...

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2018, 03:17 PM »

Some people can be very sensitive to nitrates. Even salad bar stuff is often sprayed with a nitrate solution so the greens stay looking fresh. And that is a shame Noon... Not sure what I'd do if it were me. I love sausage of all kinds. Ham too and bacon and bacon and bacon...

What I do is be selective with my consumption. And a lot of time that means I enjoy that turkey club with bacon for every last bite. Then pop some asprin. Because food is too good to deny myself in this life  ;D Now if fishing gave me migraines you better believe I would live with migraines everyday before giving up fishing.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2018, 07:57 PM »
What I do is be selective with my consumption. And a lot of time that means I enjoy that turkey club with bacon for every last bite. Then pop some asprin. Because food is too good to deny myself in this life  ;D Now if fishing gave me migraines you better believe I would live with migraines everyday before giving up fishing.

I'm in the same boat with gluten. Old man was full blown celiac. Couldn't even look at a slice of bread and he'd be miserable. Me? I'm good for about a serving per day. Toast in the morning? OK. Cheeseburger for lunch? Sure. Sub sammie? That's pushin' it.Heaven help me if I have toast for breakfast, a sandwich (of any kind) for lunch and then pile on pasta and garlic bread (YUM!) for dinner. I pay... Don't forget beer is bad too. <sigh> I HATE that because I LOVE beer!

I hope the day never comes where I'm where the OM was... I'll deal with it better than he did but I won't like it any more.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.