Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 5921 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Vex = Quality, it works when you turn it on year after year.

^^^ this. Marcum, not so much....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2020, 11:49 AM »
Know all about the brand that spends lots of time in a repair shop.lol

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:29 PM »

If you apply for an amazon card and get accepted you’d get $60 off for a $239 price. Has dual beam and zoom

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:56 PM »

I’ve owned vex and are good units , this marcum 5 is an outstanding deal and they work great

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 22, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Check out the Marcum site. They have the M5 with the old SLA battery for $357. You get some really nice features that are not found with other brands in that price range. Dual beam cone, 3/4" target separation, adjustable zoom lock to name a few. Can always upgrade to a lithium battery later down the road.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 22, 2020, 08:37 PM »
As a testament to Marcum reliability...in addition to my current M-5, I still have my old VXR by Marcum, and sold by Cabelas as a “backup,” that still works as new! Makes a lot more noise then the digital M-5, but sometimes it’s just nice to hear that clicking from a 14+ year old flasher! I stand by Marcum quality and customer service.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 23, 2020, 01:44 PM »
As a testament to Marcum reliability...in addition to my current M-5, I still have my old VXR by Marcum, and sold by Cabelas as a “backup,” that still works as new! Makes a lot more noise then the digital M-5, but sometimes it’s just nice to hear that clicking from a 14+ year old flasher! I stand by Marcum quality and customer service.

LMAO........I find myself using my FL20 more then the FLX28 just because I like to hear the spin......that and I got so use the the FL20 face because it was my 1st flasher that it just feels wrong looking at an FL18, FL22HD, or FLX28 face.......looks like I'm not the only one.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:11 PM »
that M5 deal is a hell of a deal.

I'm contemplating picking one up. i have absolutely no need for it. i have 2 flashers and panoptix already. 

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:12 PM »

the rapala years were not good for marcum.  they put out some junk.  but pre and post is just dynamite .

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Nov 23, 2020, 02:30 PM »
What did that cost? I can’t see spending $2k but I think that would include the livescope?   I don’t see much point in upgrading unless i get the advantages you mentioned and if it’s possible for under $1,000 i might do it

Hey John...1800 for the ps22 with a 7" sv73 plus head unit.  You can grab my unit for 1500.  My new unit for this season is a 9" livescope package...2700 bucks....I was thinking about doing a uhd10" and doing my own bundle but I can settle for a pre-built bundle and 9" head unit.

I still own my flx28 and use it occasionally in open water jigging lakers.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Has anyone tried a new one? It sounds like they updated all the models to brushless, curious if it made a big difference or not on the FL8s or FL18s.

From their catalog:

Effective in 2020, All Vexilar Flashers are being produced using Vexilar’s proprietary brushless data transfer technology to deliver a
sunlight-readable display and less noise.

Just to update:

So, a buddy found a new FL8 in a pawn shop of all places last week. Was out on the ice with him this last weekend and I can confirm, it is much quieter. No clicking or chatter like the old ones, it sounds just like my FLX 28, just a little hum or whirring sound.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:48 AM »
I've had the Humminbird ice 35 for a good 10 years. No issues at all, good flasher. This year, I got an additional Marcum m1 for friends and customers that come along. Also a good unit.
Here's what I found when comparing both side by side.

I much prefer the large flat humminbird display. The marcum is a lot smaller and tends to catch drifting snow with the vizer.

Noise level is higher with the marcum.

If you are placing flasher on ice next to the hole, the marcum's arm/stopper system to keep transducer in place is better than the foam float system used by the humminbird.
If you are fishing using the unit from inside a sled as I often do, the humminbird is all I can use, as marcum arm system wont work for that at all.

The marcum transducer can shoot through thicker ice than the humminbird. Very convenient for clear ice less than 7-8 inches thick,  where you don't need to drill uselessly, nor remove ducer from hole to fight fish.

The gain on the marcum is way more sensitive than humminbird. I find it almost too sensitive.

I don't use the zoom features at all, both units have one.

The Marcum also comes with it's carrying case, unlike the humminbird, where you need to purchase separately.

Lastly, I've used an old Vex 8 before, didn't have much time with it, but did not like the small display, and it wasn't nearly as bright as marcum or humminbird.

Hope this helps.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I've used the Hummingbird ice 55 for a number of years and wouldn't fish without it.  In fact, I left it at home one day and drove 1/2 hour back home to get it.  They are a bit pricey at $500.  However, my wife and I picked up an Ice 45 for our son for Christmas and got it for around $350.  He loved it.  The only difference between the two units is one color band.  If I were in the market for a new flasher I would go with the Hummingbird Ice 45, just my two cents.

X2 i have the 55 i love it my buddy uses a vex he loves it at this point its all about price point both units you will not be disappointed in.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:02 AM »
I gotta agree with the FL 18. It gives you the extra edge.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Vexilar =durability that will last many years.pick a model that suits you,after all we are just pulling fish thru a hole in the ice.

Offline cdwester

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing better than hot fishing on a cold day!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I've had a HumminBird Ice 35, Marcum M1, Vex Fl-8 and now an FL-18 (with ProView). None failed and all got the job done. If it's your first flasher or just want to give it a try buy the cheapest one. They all have pretty good resale if you want to upgrade. I ended up sticking with the FL-18 because of auto-zoom and because I like the Vexilar transducer options. I switched to a ProView(9 degree) and it makes a difference when fishing the bottom. I've fished beside a right buddy of mine who has a Ice 35 and have been able to pick up bottom hugging fish (wider Humminbird ducer can't see true bottom). I also like the fact the Vexilar have been made in the same plant for decades and they've had time to work out the kinks. I've really punished my 18 and it keeps kicking.

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:29 AM »
As a Marcum guy, I'd agree with the Vexilar fanboys on the FL18. Bottom zoom is an absolutely necessary feature so the FL12 won't cut it. In summarizing everyone's comments, I have to agree. Vexilar quality seems to be superior, they are rock solid and run forever. If you want the bells and whistles, Marcum offers that. I ran a FL20 for years, loved the thing but the digital screen on the LX7 was too much to pass up so I made the switch last year.

Vexilar guys bash Marcum for unnecessary features, just more things to break. Some people like those features, like myself. If you try to claim a brand new digital unit is going to last as long as a 10 year old FL-8, you're just kidding yourself.

Marcum guys bash vexilar for being the same unit they always were. If it's not broke don't fix it.

I'll also agree that the humminbird 35 is an awesome unit. I bought it this year as a backup while waiting for my MX7 to show up. If it has bottom zoom I would put it above the FL18, bottom zoom is irreplaceable.
Da Pack!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I would suggest the cheapest model Marcum. I think now it’s the M-1. No bells and whistles, has bottom zoom, SILENT,
Shallow water to deep perfect no buttons, adjustments or cords to change, standard medium wide transducer, and excellent interference eliminator. Don’t realize you need that until you do.
You said no bells and whistles, this has just the right bells that anyone needs and no whistles. And very affordable without compromise.
  Most of the vexilar users saying theirs last for years and years have been using an OLD flasher. I like new but personally don’t care for the digital.
   They all get the job done, none are bad, but I’d go with the cheapest or cheaper model Marcums.
My MX-5 I bought when first came out I realized I wasted money when my sister got her cheapest Marcum a few years later. Then my nephew recently. I never used the bells an whistles. The fine separation was nice, I could tell when my waxie was stripped from my jig. This took too long, I’m going fishing now.

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:23 PM »
I stand by vexilar. Have had mine for 6 years or so and haven’t had any issues....knock on wood. I have an FL-20 which is on the higher end but even the cheaper ones function just as well. The one feature I would look for is the bottom zoom. Mine will zoom in on the bottom 6’ or 12’. It works well in deeper water when you’re targeting the panfish that like to hug the bottom.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:37 PM »
I've been running a Vexilar FL8SE for the past 10 years. Everyone that I have fished with are Vexilar users. I have nothing against other brands because I am not familiar with them. If I were to upgrade it would be an FL 18.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 12, 2021, 12:40 PM »
I stand by vexilar. Have had mine for 6 years or so and haven’t had any issues....knock on wood. I have an FL-20 which is on the higher end but even the cheaper ones function just as well. The one feature I would look for is the bottom zoom. Mine will zoom in on the bottom 6’ or 12’. It works well in deeper water when you’re targeting the panfish that like to hug the bottom.
Yup. SILENT!!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:51 PM »
I switched to a ProView(9 degree) and it makes a difference when fishing the bottom. I've fished beside a right buddy of mine who has a Ice 35 and have been able to pick up bottom hugging fish (wider Humminbird ducer can't see true bottom).

All your buddy needed to do was switch from the wide beam to the narrow beam. The 35 is a dual beam. It use to be comparable to an FL 18 when vexilar had the dual beam. Now it's actually a unit with more options then the FL18 and can do more.

It is sad Vexilar was a bunch of pricks and took away the multi beam transducers.....now what customers to drop $800 on a BB30 to have a multi beam transducer. I see Marcum is starting to do the same.

Offline IceSavage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:29 AM »
Vex FL18. Just the right bells and whistles for just about any ice fisherman. Solid work horse. Reliability and simplicity. Too much hype and  over complicated options in other brands imo.....that now includes the new vex 30bb too   :-\
ICE FISHING..........  ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.
CO Native. C&R Esox Lucius

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 13, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I just upgraded to a flx 12 from a fl8-slt.  I really don't need the zoom, I just wanted better viewing while outside especially on the bow of the boat.  Had my fl8 around 20 years, put it on craigslist for $175 and had 0 trouble selling.  FLX 12 shipped to door from reeds, $299.  Its awesome!!

Offline Winds-of-Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 13, 2021, 07:18 AM »
I have  newer FL18 and it's got everything I need.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Buy the most expensive one so you can look down on everyone else. It's the only way.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #56 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:33 AM »
Theres a downside to having panoptix and livescope.my peasant a$$ with my cheap vexilar is immediately looking for you guys using them.i know they are on fish.lol

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 13, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Theres a downside to having panoptix and livescope.my peasant a$$ with my cheap vexilar is immediately looking for you guys using them.i know they are on fish.lol

Thats why I hide with mine in the flip or hub so you don't see me catching all the fish n come camp on my doorstep. The other downside is the damn thing is heavy beast.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2021, 07:44 AM »

Hahaha I'd just invite you over to fish with me.  The benefit is you can have three people jigging no problem.  My gf and daughter absolutely loved my ps22 unit.  (Which I have an ice bundle for if anyone needs one)

I took it for a maiden voyage last night.  I can't say the livescope offers much of a different experience than the ps22 but have yet to take it to 100 fow for lakers. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.