Author Topic: Just got some Kahtoola micro spikes !  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just got some Kahtoola micro spikes !
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Haven’t put them on the boots yet...but they look good....and won’t fall off. When we got asked for our license on the lake last week...I noticed the CO was wearing them....I said to myself, if Fish and Games use them,they must be good. Anyone have any comments about them ? Thanks !

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Just got some Kahtoola micro spikes !
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:06 PM »
I am on my second set after having the first for 9years.  Only reason the first pair went is I nicked the rubber with my auger blades 4 or so years ago and it gradually ripped over time.  I was impressed with durability though, and I fish a lot.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:10 PM »
Best ones ive ever used. Broke my first set, not sure how.. they sent me a new set, a bag, and an apology letter. Then a year later I got a letter in the mail saying they were again sorry that I had an issue with their product and it had a card in it for I think 25% off their online store. Amazing company and amazing product. The COs around here all have them also, so they can run on the ice if need be.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:16 PM »
I absolutely love my Microspikes. I feel more stable on ice with them than I do standing in my living room in my socks. Great investment. Just don’t leave them on your boots and you shouldn’t have any issues with them. I take them off and rinse them in clean water after every use. This is my 3rd season with them as I couldn’t imagine using anything less.

What sold me on them was a video I watched where a guy had a golf cart with chains on the tires out on the lake. Another guy wearing Microspikes held on to a rope attached to the golf cart. The Microspikes held the golf cart in place while it went on to dig holes into the ice with the chains. Microspikes for the win! After that I ordered a pair.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:36 PM »
Micro Spikes are all I will use. best spikes out there. expensive but worth it.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:18 PM »
Bought my first pair of Micro Spikes 3 weeks back, and man O man they are some bad mama jama's.
I've been keeping them in the cab of the truck, with all the freezing rain we've been getting in Michigan I'm not
taking any chances.
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:11 AM »
Great product Great company to work with.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:33 AM »
One of my top investments. Going on 6years with mine.

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:05 AM »
I tried a pair from tire chain.com that fell apart stretching them over my boot the first time, what a joke!
Invested in a set of Kahtoola's and are very impressive. The fit was so tight though I thought they were going to break as well so I leave them on my size 14 Mucks. I can also tell you that Kahtoola VS auger blade is no match! The first
Hole I cut and BING it cut half way through my brand new strap. I was so pissed you could have used my head to melt
3 more holes in the 3 feet of ice that day! Well anyhoo, year two and still holding up. When it does break I will get another set because they are awesome.

The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:19 AM »
They suck.  I just replaced mine with the LL bean cleats with the boa.  The rubber on my micros stretched in cold weather and became useless.  One side broke completely.  When they worked the traction was excellent.  If there was wet snow they were useless, they clog up and I took some good diggers because of it.  I'll hit up kahtoola regarding the issues.  Then I will come back to this thread and give away the replacement if they hook me up.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:25 AM »
They suck.  I just replaced mine with the LL bean cleats with the boa.  The rubber on my micros stretched in cold weather and became useless.  One side broke completely.  When they worked the traction was excellent.  If there was wet snow they were useless, they clog up and I took some good diggers because of it.  I'll hit up kahtoola regarding the issues.  Then I will come back to this thread and give away the replacement if they hook me up.

3rd season, no issues...
only thing i dont like about them is they are so NOISY! i take them off when chasing pike...so like always

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:30 AM »

Just have the replacements sent directly to me.  ;D ;D
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:55 AM »
Absolutely love mine.  They are a little noisy, I sound like I'm wearing spurs when I'm walking around.  I always take mine off at the end of the day as well.  They are a little tight on my size 14 Baffin's, but after I adjust them a little bit, they fit great.  They sometimes get a little too tight on the toe of the boot as I'm stretching them over, but it only takes a second to redistribute the stretch so that they are on correctly.  Buy nice, not twice!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:15 AM »
3rd season, no issues...
only thing i dont like about them is they are so NOISY! i take them off when chasing pike...so like always

I was 5 trips deep.  -12 seems to change the composition of the rubber and made it stretch and it had no more elasticity.  One of the long straps on the side broke.  I lost my spud that day too!  Haha it was a good day...

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:41 AM »
After some bad mishaps with Yaktraks a while back, I went with Kahtoolas about 8 years ago.  They lasted until last year until somehow when I went out at 2am to get my spot for eyes, I must've been so tired I put one pair on inside out.  No idea how I got them on and I didn't even realize it until about 100 yards in, I realized I wasn't getting as much traction from one foot and one of my chains had ripped through the rubber.  I will say that the first winter, adjusting to them from yaktraks took a few trips.  I thought I was going to tear an ACL on my first flag as I ran to the tip up and expected to slid and just had my boots stick. 

When I'm walleye fishing, I wear them to drill all my holes and get setup, and then I take them off when I can.  On too many occasions, I've worn them walking to a slowly spinning tip up only to watch it stop spinning as I get close and miss the fish.  They are loud - but they do the job. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:45 AM »
4 years with mine.best cleats out there.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:47 AM »
Kahtoola spikes is a great company and especially their customer service. My first pair worked great. Getting them on my size 12 xw Mickeys was a little tedious. So I left them on. That fall the plastic material had all dry rotted. Evidently not supposed to leave on while in storage. I just chalked it up to my bad.

Posted on forum here about what had happened. Nothing snarky just the facts. I had never contacted the company. Next thing I know I get PM from Kahtoola. Asking for my mailing address so they can send me a replacement for FREE. Evidently someone at Kahtoola checks this site. Three days later they are in my mail box. They even paid for shipping.

To me that was above and beyond normal CS. To me it was stellar.

Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:53 AM »
I love my micro spikes. My ice boots are huge (size 15) so its quite a stretch to get them on. I can't drive in those boots so I just leave the cleats on all winter. Got 5 seasons out of my first pair with the black rubber, on season 3 with the red rubber now. Definitely felt like I got my money's worth with the first set so I didn't bother trying to get a replacement. Plus one of the cleats is still good so I keep it in my bucket as a backup. 

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Kahtoola spikes is a great company and especially their customer service. My first pair worked great. Getting them on my size 12 xw Mickeys was a little tedious. So I left them on. That fall the plastic material had all dry rotted. Evidently not supposed to leave on while in storage. I just chalked it up to my bad.

Posted on forum here about what had happened. Nothing snarky just the facts. I had never contacted the company. Next thing I know I get PM from Kahtoola. Asking for my mailing address so they can send me a replacement for FREE. Evidently someone at Kahtoola checks this site. Three days later they are in my mail box. They even paid for shipping.

To me that was above and beyond normal CS. To me it was stellar.

Wow that is stellar customer service! 3 years on mine and going strong. For some the rubber does seem to be the weak link, perhaps another material here in the future?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:20 AM »
Got 5 years on my $20 Eagle Claw chinese knock-offs and I always get a chuckle when I see people over-pay for  this stuff.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:25 AM »
My micro spikes are 8 years old still as good as the day I bought them. Rubber is still soft and pliable I leave them on my mucks all winter. They are the black ones.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:45 AM »
No complaints with my Kahtoola's - they've worked and held up well for me.  Only issue I ever had was having them pop off my boots once while climbing up an icy hill.  Had to give a little extra tug on the tow rope of my flip shanty to get it over an exposed tree root and in doing that I must have did a little twist with my feet causing them to pop off.  A few buddies who were along with gave my high marks for my backside surfer skills.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Got 5 years on my $20 Eagle Claw chinese knock-offs and I always get a chuckle when I see people over-pay for  this stuff.

A days worth of gas, snacks, beverages, and bait isn’t far from a pair of Microspikes. It’s just money. Buy what you want. I always chuckle when people concern themselves with how others spend their own money. It wasn’t only until recently that there were even similar options to Microspikes without going full on crampon. So they filled a void in the market and priced it accordingly. It helped that it was a product that worked. That’s why there are copies now (probably had to wait for patents to expire or something). I do see how that can affect Kahtoolas sales.

My Microspikes are awesome. Love em. But I am intrigued by Eagle Claws offering especially given the price. SportsmenDirect offers a very similar cleat at a very similar price point also. Can’t beat Kahtoolas warranty and CS though (which is reflected in the price). I thinks it’s only a matter of time before Kahtoola has some major competition.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:20 AM »

Had these...great grip...rubber broke making them unusable....

These won't break! (I hope)

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/90699?page=llbean-boa-footwear-traction-mens&csp=a?feat=ice cleats-srm_rrbottom&pn=pd&skCatId=90699

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:08 AM »
i have given  eagle claw enough $$ to get me 2 sets of kahtoolas over the year. everything eagle claw i have owned sucks. including their cleats
glad a made the switch

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2019, 10:33 AM »
Had these...great grip...rubber broke making them unusable....

These won't break! (I hope)

https://m.llbean.com/llb/shop/90699?page=llbean-boa-footwear-traction-mens&csp=a?feat=ice cleats-srm_rrbottom&pn=pd&skCatId=90699

Wow, those look awesome! I like my Microspikes if the conditions are right. If it's glare ice they are miserable and I far prefer my Stabilicers Maxx.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #26 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:06 PM »
I can personally tell all of you that Kahtoola or any of the other mirco spike creepers out there are a lot cheaper than the broken elbow that I have for not having creepers on this year.  The doctor bills would easily have paid for many pairs. Not to mention the fact that it has been over a month that I have not been able to fish.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:36 PM »
Wow, those look awesome! I like my Microspikes if the conditions are right. If it's glare ice they are miserable and I far prefer my Stabilicers Maxx.

Glare ice is kind of the only time I need spikes and they work well (I have knock-offs), with any kind of snow they just collect slush, freeze up, and I have to smash it off all day which is extremely annoying. So I'd say I like mine too if the conditions are right, and that condition is glare ice.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Only thing i use on the ice, when I need something for traction. Also took them on a 3k vert  foot hike yesterday. Ice and packed snow, 10 degrees. They never missed a beat.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I don't mind stomping the packed snow off. It far outweighs the piece of mind that I get from wearing them. I have tried many styles. The first time I put these on I was amazed at how I had been getting around before.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.