The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Albino ling  (Read 3774 times)

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Albino ling
« on: Feb 21, 2019, 08:34 AM »

Fished with a buddy who caught this albino ling.  I believe he said the game and fish said that this is pretty rare...Maybe 1 in 200,000 to 250,000 ling?  Pretty cool!

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Albino ling
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Super cool! I bet that thing looked amazing in the water.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:12 AM »
Very cool... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Online PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Wow.  I'm surprised that thing made it to adulthood.  Albinos in the wild usually get eaten......early!  Even many albino predators can not survive, as they rely on camouflage to hunt, in many cases.  Definitely cool.  Here in CT our state record channel cat was an albino.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:21 AM »
That is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2019, 09:38 AM »
Wow.  I'm surprised that thing made it to adulthood.  Albinos in the wild usually get eaten......early!  Even many albino predators can not survive, as they rely on camouflage to hunt, in many cases.  Definitely cool.  Here in CT our state record channel cat was an albino.

That was my thought too, the thing was glowing all the way up to the hole.  How he was able to get anything to eat I'll never know, but he was in good shape!

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2019, 01:24 PM »
Did it have red eyes?  From the other picture of it it looks like a black eye.  Albinos usually have red or pink eyes.  You think it might just be a skin pigment anomaly like a color phase bear or even a white moose or deer?  Did the G&F see the fish and say it was an albino?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2019, 05:34 PM »
Did it have red eyes?  From the other picture of it it looks like a black eye.  Albinos usually have red or pink eyes.  You think it might just be a skin pigment anomaly like a color phase bear or even a white moose or deer?  Did the G&F see the fish and say it was an albino?

I am with WYOBEAR on this one; if it did not have red or pink eyes it was not a true albino. 

Interesting fish, no doubt!

ClearCreek

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:53 PM »
I am with WYOBEAR on this one; if it did not have red or pink eyes it was not a true albino. 

Interesting fish, no doubt!

ClearCreek
Yeah I'm not sure of the degree of albinism, I may be wrong but the fish biologist was the one who said it was albino after seeing the pic, he wound up giving it to a taxidermist who was going to enter it in some taxidermy exhibit or something.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2019, 08:06 AM »
Yeah I'm not sure of the degree of albinism, I may be wrong but the fish biologist was the one who said it was albino after seeing the pic, he wound up giving it to a taxidermist who was going to enter it in some taxidermy exhibit or something.
I would suggest that the biologist got it wrong.  I would further suggest that what you see here is a leucistic fish.
Leucism: Condition in which all types of skin pigment are reduced due to defects in pigment cell differentiation with the normal result a partially (often referred to as 'pied' or 'piebald'), or more rarely, completely white animal. Differs from albinism, which is caused by a lack of melanin only, in several ways, with one of the most apparent being that albino animals typically have red eyes whereas leucism does not normally affect eye colour. Pronounced, and sometimes spelled, leukism.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline perkhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:23 PM »
Yeah I don't really care either way but it was pretty cool

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2019, 04:35 PM »

Fished with a buddy who caught this albino ling.  I believe he said the game and fish said that this is pretty rare...Maybe 1 in 200,000 to 250,000 ling?  Pretty cool!
beautiful fish!
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2020, 12:18 PM »
Mounter fish for sure!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2020, 02:15 PM »
That is pretty cool looking! quite the surprise  :o

Offline Tacofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2021, 11:01 AM »
Awesome fish!

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Wow! That is cool!
Come on fish!

Offline Adkrs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:56 PM »
This is one of the coolest things I've seen icefishing! Awesome catch!
Beer will get you through times of no ice better than ice will get you through times of no beer...

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:41 AM »
I have caught a bunch of ling in my day and can't say i have ever caught a white common (molva) ling. That is a beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing.                                                                                                                                                   

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:46 AM »
great looking fish id have rep made of it.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2021, 12:00 PM »
I have caught a bunch of ling in my day and can't say i have ever caught a white common (molva) ling. That is a beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing.                                                                                                                                                 

Cargo:

The fish shown in the photo in this thread is a leucistic burbot. 

From Wikipedia:  The common ling (Molva molva is a North Atlantic species found in the further eastern coast of Canada, southern Greenland, Iceland, and the north-eastern Atlantic from the Barents Sea, around the coasts of the UK.

It gets confusing because in Wyoming we use the names burbot and ling interchangeably.

ClearCreek

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2021, 02:04 PM »
ClearCreek, Thanks for the info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.