The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Navionics? GPS?  (Read 756 times)

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Navionics? GPS?
« on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:47 AM »
Hello my fellow comrades! I'm getting the itch quite badly! I'm not a super tech savvy guy, so I'd sure appreciate some advice on what to use to find lake contours, save locations, etc...I have a Helix 9 on the boat and love the contour maps on it. I would prefer to not have another app on my phone but would consider it if there is a good enough reason. And as always, something that could be multi-purpose is always appreciated also. Thanks!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Navionics? GPS?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:01 AM »
Hi ColdHole,

I use Navionics on my cellphone and it works out great. 

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:11 AM »
I have Navionics and its ok. I've found the contours are not super accurate on a lot of lakes I fish but will get you in the ball park. For saving waypoints I use OnX because it's my go to app for hunting too and I like to drop pins via desktop scouting prior to going out which isn't an option on Navionics.com.   
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:12 AM »
Hello my fellow comrades! I'm getting the itch quite badly! I'm not a super tech savvy guy, so I'd sure appreciate some advice on what to use to find lake contours, save locations, etc...I have a Helix 9 on the boat and love the contour maps on it. I would prefer to not have another app on my phone but would consider it if there is a good enough reason. And as always, something that could be multi-purpose is always appreciated also. Thanks!
I have used the Navonics for two seasons. works fairly well through the ice, much better than flying blind with out it. I too am disadvantaged with tech stuff.  If I had a gripe, they change/update the program just about the time one figures how to use it. That and home base is Italy! Cost was free a couple years ago and now is about $20. Still, I solidlly recomend it. It is really good for locating the edge of drop offs and river channels.
Thread killer

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2020, 03:51 PM »
I use lake master on my helix 7, works good.
A lot clearer than navionics

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2020, 05:54 PM »
If you can get by with paying for 1 set of maps, that is the best. Navionics on iPhone is better than my Garmin 73sv maps, but I use them since I use the Garmin as my winter fish finder. I have the Navionics as a backup if the Garmin dies in a whiteout, but I don't use it any more.
If you like the maps on your boat, build or buy an ice kit for your sonar and take it with.

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Thanks everyone! I hadn't thought about bringing the Helix. I ordered a different power cord and will just mount it to the 4wheeler. I love it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.