Author Topic: will the ice last?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline cp13

• IceShanty Rookie
will the ice last?
« on: Jan 05, 2008, 08:56 PM »
today there was some safe ice on a local lake...its was 4 inches near shore, i didnt venture out to far so i dont know about the deep  areas...but the temps went up today and we got a lite drizzle of rain...the temp as of right now is 36 degrees...will the ice stay or can i kiss it goodbye...?

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
Re: will the ice last?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:18 PM »
that doesn't sound too promising..  what's the upcoming forecast like where u r?

Offline cp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008, 09:21 PM »
40's for the next 3 or 4 days then high 20's that gradually  become teens

Offline davieb78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:41 PM »
I week, then we will be back at it!  By the way with #'s like that (fish) do you even work, or is fishing your job?
Jealous either way...

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:16 AM »
u should be good if there's no rain to speak of...  i would wait until a couple days after it gets back to freezing, but that's just me..

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:20 AM »
Nope, not a chance with 60 degree weather being forecast for next week.

Here in NE Ohio, we've barely had a nibblin of ice fishing season.  I'm still waiting for safe out in area south of Cleveland.   >:( >:( :-\ :-\
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline T.W

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2008, 02:12 PM »
Temp is 55 degrees now and calling for 58 tommorrow w/thunderstorms. then a cold snap later in the week. Hope the ice will tighten up by next Sat. :tipup:

Offline Jello

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Lake Simcoe Ontario will probably hold its ice in the perching grounds (bays), but the common agreement is that the big water is going to open right up.  A lake of that size will be devistated if there is a lot of open water and the winds pick up.  I was out there on Friday and the bay I was fishing looked like a jigsaw puzzle.  Presure cracks galore, but 6-9" of ice.  A few days of mild and the rain should flatten it out so when temps drop again, it'll be glassy and hard.

They're calling for +12 celceus up there for a couple days.  Around where I live in SW Ontario, it's going to be a bit warmer.  I think my local lakes will be pooched.  Long Point Bay of Lake Erie is still wide open, and the marinas in the Niagara area haven't frozen over yet.  C'mon cold!

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:35 PM »
Like icebucketjohn said, we are lucky to have any ice atall here in Ohio, Had 3 '' 2 weeks ago, lost it, got cold again, got the 3'' back, but today Sun. temp 48, Mon. temp 50 our above and rain. So it back to watching the weather channel to see when the next cold spell is. Kind of reminds me of last year, took a long time to get cold, but when it did it stayed cold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.