Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bass

Icing bass

<< < (2/3) > >>

sbfPA_Mike:
Hey Fish,

I believe it is more to do with where you are setting up than anything. I  wouldn't say I killed the Bass in MN, but I certainly caught them regularly. I have to believe the Bass are schooled up and moving slow. I believe they are deeper than the Pike are. I don't know what kind of setup you do when putting out tip-ups, but try one on the deepest edge of a weedbed. I wish I could give you a formula, but I can say I caught Bass in MN.

Mike

Van_Cleaver:
Here in PA the bass are often in the same water as perch; weedy flats, breaks on the edges, and sometime creek channels can be exceptional. The nicer bass (largemouth) seem to be in shallower water6-12', but that probably changes with various bodies of water. You also might downsize a little just in case the bass are not aggressive. On a good lake in PA it is often easier to catch bass than perch; usually I'm using medium shiners to keep from catching too many small perch. Mostly I jig, and bass will wack a spoon, minnow lure, or just about anything when the mood strikes them. As mentioned above though, a lot of it is location.

Wellsy:
Seems to be consistent with the Largemouth bass being caught (myself also) in shallower water near or on weed beds. No I don't target them, and yes more LMB on tippers.
Smallmouth for me are usually deeper and much lighter on the bite. The only SMB I have caught on tippers I actually have to pull my rig out of the water and drape the line over the extended flag to see the slightest movement (like you might do for a crappie).
Mostly SMB on "small" jigs.

Wellsy

fishuhalik:
Well, I'm gonna give it a go this weekend.  I have one little lake in mind that is loaded w/ decent bass, and I'm gonna go out there and show 'em everything i know, from waxies on a #14 marmooshka to 7" shiners on a tipup and everything in between, shallow and deep.  I'll let ya know how I end up doing!

1MOFISH:
i have caught them as shallow as 18" and as deep as 30' all the same way minnows 1' off the bottom on days they are hittin they will move up in the water column saw them suspend 6' off the bottom in 14' of water,consistantly though 1' off the bottom -in weeds -onthe flat-deep or shallow- in the channel relative to the depth the channel flows through hope you get them     mo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version