Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Salmon

hooking bait

(1/3) > >>

adkbrookie:
when you hook the bait where do you all put the hook. towards the head or tail? i had two steal the bait the other day before i even got there and want to improve my ratio. thanks.

adkRoy:
We usually hook the bait just infront of the dorsal fin. Also try a smaller hook size. and check the action of your tip-up to make sure it releases smooth and easy, not hard.

nativetrout:
I wish smelts would live a little longer when hooked up in the head area cause I think you hook more that way. Last weekend had a smelts head almost bitten off, but did not catch the fish. Obviously taken front the front and not swallowed yet. Any areas in the head region that allow the smelt to remain lively?

adkRoy:

--- Quote from: nativetrout on Jan 31, 2007, 10:51 AM ---I wish smelts would live a little longer when hooked up in the head area cause I think you hook more that way. Last weekend had a smelts head almost bitten off, but did not catch the fish. Obviously taken front the front and not swallowed yet. Any areas in the head region that allow the smelt to remain lively?

--- End quote ---

We are not allowed to use live smelt in NY anymore unless it is jigged out of the lake it will be used on. Also some of our waters don't allow the possesion of smelt as bait or food at all.

When we could use smelt we found that hooking them a little behind the head kept them alive all day.

nativetrout:
Thanx adkRoy, I'll try that. Are you still in front of the gills?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version