Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bass

depth

(1/2) > >>

WeponsOfBassDestruction:
what is the best depth for settting a tipup for catching bass?

near the bottom by the weeds or by the serface?

sbfPA_Mike:
I like to be 2-5 feet off the bottom, right on the weed edge. I try to stay in the 12-15 foot range, but this depends on the weed edge.

Mike

BassHouse:
I have set my tipups about 2-3 feet off the bottom unless it's real shallow (under 6 ft.).  This guarantees that you are just above the weedbed.  I have found over the years that Bass seem to attack your bait from the weedcover and then speed right back.  This is why you sometimes pull up a lot of weeds.  If you go too low you run the risk of hiding your bait or getting it tangled up in the weeds and you'll never get a flag.  I have consistently "outfished" everyone around me and I'm not trying to brag, it's just that you learn from experience.
One key thing to look for is dropoff points.  If you find a change in depth of 1ft. or more between holes then chances are you are in a good spot.  I picked up an Aqua-Vu underwater camera a couple of years ago and while it is fun to use, it is priceless for confirming what you suspect about certain fishing spots.  A lot of places I just knew were good spots, revealed the reason when I dropped the camera down.  If you are serious about ice fishing, this camera is a valuable tool. 

WeponsOfBassDestruction:

--- Quote from: BassHouse on Jan 20, 2007, 09:11 PM ---I have set my tipups about 2-3 feet off the bottom unless it's real shallow (under 6 ft.).  This guarantees that you are just above the weedbed.  I have found over the years that Bass seem to attack your bait from the weedcover and then speed right back.  This is why you sometimes pull up a lot of weeds.  If you go too low you run the risk of hiding your bait or getting it tangled up in the weeds and you'll never get a flag.  I have consistently "outfished" everyone around me and I'm not trying to brag, it's just that you learn from experience.
One key thing to look for is dropoff points.  If you find a change in depth of 1ft. or more between holes then chances are you are in a good spot.  I picked up an Aqua-Vu underwater camera a couple of years ago and while it is fun to use, it is priceless for confirming what you suspect about certain fishing spots.  A lot of places I just knew were good spots, revealed the reason when I dropped the camera down.  If you are serious about ice fishing, this camera is a valuable tool. 

--- End quote ---
how is the aqua view? i was thinking about getting one a couple years ago but i didn't. does the picture come in clear and is it easy to use?

BassHouse:

--- Quote ---how is the aqua view? i was thinking about getting one a couple years ago but i didn't. does the picture come in clear and is it easy to use?
--- End quote ---

I have the older (doesn't look like a fish) model with the standard camera w/ infrared lights.  It works really well and the picture is very clear but depends on the lake your fishing.  I have been able to see up to about 15 ft. when I have used it in pretty clear water.  It is amazing to see the fish swimming around under there.  I usually put it down a hole that is a couple yards away from a tipup and can see my minnow swiming around.  It gives you a great picture of the bait presentation and how things look under there.  It also helps me to scout for substructures and weedbeds.  One area I was fishing in turned out to be devoid of weeds the following year because they used too much chemical weed-kill the prior season for the boating folks.  You would never know how the lake-bed had changed so drastically without having one of these.  It doesn't help you locate the fish like the Vexilars but I have a lot more fun using it and it keeps you entertained on those slow days.  Never thought I really needed/wanted one until after I had it (it was a gift).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version