Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bass

smallies through the ice

<< < (2/3) > >>

DasRottweiler:
Targetting smallies thru the ice can be difficult , they winter in groups in roughly 30-40 feet of water and are almost impossible to git them to bite-unless weather has been stable/warmer for 3-5 days in a row-They might move up into fall feeding areas in 10-20feet of water- Bear in mind ya should catch and release em and dont set traps or jig below 17 feet- Doing so is signing the fishes death warrant. Barotruama=the bends for fish. Once you do find them mark them on yout GPS and return when it is warm and stable and they will be there. Just release them because a few harvest-oriented ice fishermen can deplete a school rather quicky if they tell 2 freinds and so on... Do the work-find em -enjoy em release em and mums the word. Big pig smallies??!? not me!!!

Rebelfisher:
6# yo zuri hybrid flourocarbon/nylon line, or even 4# Fireline (0.75 lb diameter). size 12 trebles. just play em out.

9huskies:
I catch a lot of smallies jigging a northland forage minnow tipped with a piece of smelt.  Usually about 6 feet below the ice.

fishslayer37:
i catch them on normal walleye set ups with clear 6lb line with a 4'' sucker or shiner. thinner and longer the mono leader the better. And fish 1 to 3 feet above the  bottom on a tip up.  if thin ice walk really slow and carefully they are really sensative. Generally you catch one you will catch more... Ive usually caught them in rocky areas and they were in with the walleyes...During the winter if caught them from 5 feet deep to 40 just all depends where you find them

HUNTnFISHSD:
 I don't target them because they are very inactive during the winter but I have seen people catch them before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version