Author Topic: EPA Tackling Forever Chemicals  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
EPA Tackling Forever Chemicals
« on: Mar 14, 2023, 09:54 AM »
Hot off the press. Looks like some good news in regards to the forever chems, PFOS and PFAS, which have been in the news a lot lately. Hopefully spur some change in regards to water quality and environmental pollution in our waterways.

https://apnews.com/article/epa-pfas-forever-chemicals-water-contamination-regulations-560d0ce3321e7fa8ed052f792c24f16f#:~:text=WASHINGTON%20(AP)%20%E2%80%94%20The%20Environmental,prevent%20serious%20illnesses%2C%20including%20cancer.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: EPA Tackling Forever Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2023, 10:02 AM »
Until the production of PFOS and PFAS happens it won't stop the pollution.  They are hard to break down and found in a lot of man made products.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2023, 12:41 AM »
News thread deals w/ drinking water, which has been treated at a plant & sent to tap. The problems w/ chemicals in the waterways are gonna remain till pfa's are no loner used. In da mitten we've been dealing w/ this since the 80's due to manufacturing & fires being put out w/ the stuff & running off into storm drains.
The do not eat fish advisors seem to come up w/ a different take on it every year.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2023, 09:09 PM »
Steidyj thank you for posting the link. I agree with Fisherman 1 and Ronnie D's comments. I live is southeastern New York around 7-8 years ago PFAS was found to be in the water supply reservoir of City of Newburgh. The source of problem was traced to our local airport and foam used in fire fighting. The foam had gotten into a water retention pond which drains into a stream which feeds into reservoir . The city's filtration plant has new equipment installed and a small filtration plant has been installed along the stream to combat the problem. Growing up in the area good chance I have the chemicals in my body . I also use some non-stick cookware and as was posted these chemicals are in many common products such as some food packaging. So in my humble opinion we all need to stay alert and do what we can to avoid contact with these and other harmful chemicals.
  Steve

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2023, 05:22 AM »

Even your bum isn’t safe 😱
 http://Researchers tested 21 brands of toilet paper and found “forever chemicals” in all of them.
 Article from target walleye

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2023, 09:39 PM »
 Filletandrelease  starting to wonder how many potentially dangerous chemical I'm exposed to on a daily basis.

Steve

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2023, 08:04 AM »
Filletandrelease  starting to wonder how many potentially dangerous chemical I'm exposed to on a daily basis.
It does make 1 wonder ,

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2023, 10:20 AM »
Well I'm sure if you really check what's in city water you would be spending more time on the white phone.  Human female hormones causing fish to turn into females, drugs that can't be filtered out of the sewage factory system, chemicals from production of all sorts of consumer products,  chemicals that are built into or sprayed on foods to enhance growth and kill non desirable weeds for better return and profit.  I like my oatmeal,  in cookies, date squares, etc and just about dropped a log inn my shorts after reading this about Quaker Oats and products.  Needless to say I've gone to organic brands.
Just a small clip from one study:  In the first round of EWG tests, Quaker Old Fashioned Oats cereal was found to have the most glyphosate per sample, with more than 1,000 ppb in two of three samples tested. In the second round of EWG tests, the highest level of 2,837 ppb was found in one sample of Quaker Oatmeal Squares breakfast cereal.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2023, 10:37 AM »
 I worked construction for 35 years I’ve been exposed to all kinds of nasty things, at 66 I’m sure it’s a little late to be really worried about all these things that are exposed to or ingested on a daily basis after 70 years of use 😉

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2023, 08:26 AM »
I worked construction for 35 years I’ve been exposed to all kinds of nasty things, at 66 I’m sure it’s a little late to be really worried about all these things that are exposed to or ingested on a daily basis after 70 years of use 😉

Im with you Fred.  Thing is if the media says something, lots of people take it as gospil.  The maine guys are off the rails with the PFAS concerns.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.