Author Topic: Is cleaning fish in a boat legal?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is cleaning fish in a boat legal?
« on: Mar 09, 2023, 05:55 AM »
Dtro’s video brought up a question. Why is it illegal for me to clean fish in my Minnesota fish house, without having grease going and ready to eat them, but yet it’s legal to clean them in a boat? Am I confused, or is it not legal to clean fish in a boat either? I know about the leaving a skin tag on the fillets, but even that’s not legal in my fish house. Right?

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Is cleaning fish in a boat legal?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06:41 AM »
Call the dnr warden and ask them they will tell you that is is part of your daily bag and need to keep your carcass until you get home

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2023, 10:44 AM »
The answer to this question will most likely change from State to State. In Montana when I take long trips fishing I fillet my daily catch either on the ice or in a boat, but I leave the skin attached so identification is possible. I seal them in ziplock bags so it is easy to tell how many fillets or fish are in each one, and I date the bag. With multiple folks along I add a name to each bag as sell. A wise man once told me when he was checking my catch that I may have violated the letter of the law by cleaning the fish, I met the intent of the law by providing evidence of species and dated the bags to ensure I didn't exceed a daily limit. In doing so I also prevented wasting any edible meat. As always when asking questions about what is legal, ask the local authorities.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2023, 11:41 AM »
In MN, slot limits may also come into play.  I know we've had a panfish meal in the fishouse and they were mighty tasty!!

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2023, 03:10 PM »
If throwing the entrails over board may be considered polluting also, kinda frowned upon in some places.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2023, 12:25 PM »
Here in Michigan one C.O. told me its ok if there no size or creel limit on the species. Another C.O. said its illegal regardless and I can't legally fillet, gut, or even scale fish on my boat or on the ice.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.