Author Topic: Pole went swimming - fetching tactics?  (Read 3192 times)

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can’t catch me I’m slippier than a fish to you ;)
Pole went swimming - fetching tactics?
« on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:55 AM »
Ahhh the notorious swimming rod. Mine so felt the need to take a dip through the hole the other day and has felt utterly no need to surface for O2 yet.

Best tactics for fetching a rod in 15 FOW w/bad visibility? I personally don’t own a camera and attempted the best I could with my largest trebles to retrieve it, to no avail. Got the spot marked well where it’s at & am determined to teach this rod it’s meant for land, not water.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pole went swimming - fetching tactics?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2023, 07:58 AM »
big jigging blade bait and let it hit bottom between pulls or the bigger jiggin raps so it travels a bit on slack line dropping.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:06 AM »
Jigging Rap, biggest one and having a upsized treble hook.

Once my lantern got kicked into the hole and a Jigging Rap saved it.  Also it was about 80 feet deep and it was the biggest fake fish of a life time on the rod.  Had to be careful with 6# test and took about 20 minutes maybe longer just to retrieve it.  And the front hook was just barely on the rim of the lantern too.  Would have been terrible if line broke or the lantern hitting the ice edge and the whole ordeal would've needed a repeat.

Put new mantel on and lit the thing back up and it worked.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2023, 08:06 AM »
Bunker snag hook or similar VERY large treble?

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2023, 09:36 AM »
Best tactics for fetching a rod in 15 FOW w/bad visibility? I personally don’t own a camera and attempted the best I could with my largest trebles to retrieve it, to no avail. Got the spot marked well where it’s at & am determined to teach this rod it’s meant for land, not water.

Did a fish pull it in or did it just fall in?  If a fish dragged it in, you might be out of luck.

If it just fell in, then borrow a camera or buy a cheap one online - then try again.

If all else fails, you could try to retrieve it in the summer time w/ a snorkel, fins + mask.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2023, 10:33 AM »
While your down there, look for my phone.

Offline frnak001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2023, 10:43 AM »
I usually yell into the hole "Hey all my other rods down there, add that one to your group"!!!!

Offline theskydiveguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2023, 12:50 PM »
Buy a fishing magnet - something down there must be ferrous.
Ice fishing is better than open water - change my mind!

Insta -  @smittyoutside
Tiktok - @smittyoutside

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2023, 04:53 PM »
All great ideas, thanks everyone. Thankfully it wasn’t a fish that dragged it away so it should be in its drop spot, and I have access to some sturdy magnets I can test out along with some now-new larger lures. Hopefully I’ll have less troubles than fetching a lantern in 80 FOW…if a phone pops up with my rod I’ll get it returned hah!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2023, 02:10 PM »
MissRappala, did you lose this rod on Hauser by chance?, I might be there fishing this weekend and I do have a camera
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2023, 02:16 PM »
Had mine stolen by a big pike and it has never been seen again.  :'(

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2023, 03:07 PM »
MissRappala, did you lose this rod on Hauser by chance?, I might be there fishing this weekend and I do have a camera

It sure has been claimed by Hauser. If I can’t re-claim it by the weekend and you’re out, let me know if you don’t mind please  :)

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:36 AM »
It sure has been claimed by Hauser. If I can’t re-claim it by the weekend and you’re out, let me know if you don’t mind please  :)
Sure will
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2023, 08:02 AM »
Ah, the feeling of total helplessness as your treasured fishing equipment sinks into the deep fathoms.   I lost a 8 -inch Mora augar bit as the wing nut stripped and failed on my newly assembled power drill rig.  Oh well. 

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2023, 07:46 PM »
Grateful to be able to now update, the rod is back where it belongs from a short venture with a friend! Life is good again after using pan optics to locate, a camera to view, and someone with exceptional jigging tactics to hook the sucker!

All the input & help was much appreciated :)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2023, 02:17 AM »
 :thumbsup:
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06:17 AM »
Never lost one but have jigged up a few in the summer....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2023, 06:38 AM »
Grateful to be able to now update, the rod is back where it belongs from a short venture with a friend! Life is good again after using pan optics to locate, a camera to view, and someone with exceptional jigging tactics to hook the sucker!

Glad you got it back  ;D

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2023, 06:08 PM »
I had a short canoe rod decide to bounce over the side in about 18 ft of water. I tried a couple of lures but had no luck until I put on
a fairly heavy blade bait that sank straignt down. After several futile attempts I was just about ready to write the rig off as lost.  I tried
one last time and up came my rather soggy spinning reel

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2023, 07:30 PM »

That sounds like it might have been a fun time.
And at least you knew your target was down there and you didn't have to wait for it to show up.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2023, 09:24 PM »
Buy a fishing magnet - something down there must be ferrous.
First thing I picked up when I started dead sticking for Lakers with decent gear was a 50lb magnet

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 13, 2023, 01:58 PM »

Nice job!   ;D

Offline SmilingBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Apr 26, 2023, 09:04 PM »
Back around 1973 when I was 15, I was fishing off the boat dock at Fishtrap lake resort near Sprauge Washington. Dad had gotten me a brand-new Wright & Mcgill rod with a Berkley spinning reel, had it laying on the dock next to me when a big ole lake trout hit and dragged it into the drink. About the time my rod disappeared my dad had walked out on the dock, he was not a happy camper to say the least. As dad was deciding how to retrieve my pole, a little girl fishing off the dock with a toy Zebco started hollering that she had a big bite. Her rod was doubled over as she furiously cranked it in. Seems as she had snagged the line on my pole and brought it back to the surface along with a 24inch lake trout still hooked to it. Dad went over a helped her land her catch. I was not too thrilled when he decided to let her keep the trout in return for recovering my pole. I was fishing from the dock later with night crawlers on the bottom, that little brat came over and said "You should try corn, that's what I caught that big fish on."

So, to retrieve your pole, you need to find a little girl with a toy Zebco  ;D

SmilingBob

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2023, 09:34 PM »
About 16 yrs. back, ice tournament at Antero res. Young gun looses his rod to a big rainbow because he wasn't paying attention. Down the hole it went. His group was yards from open water near the dam. One in his party spotted the rod just out from the ice, very clear water. I tossed him a snagging hook. He retrieved the rod, fish still on! Played the trout. It flopped onto the ice and back into the water. The line got cut off on the sharp ice. Many were sure he had first place in the bag till that last second.😂  Great entertainment at others expense.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2023, 11:58 AM »
I lost a set of car keys a vape and an 8inch Lazer auger last year. Only made it out 2times this year Ice was crap
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline MissRappala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2023, 09:36 AM »
Sounds like quite a few of us have been through the wringer of hearing the dreadful noise of water consuming our belongings, although stressful it’s quite amusing to hear all the mishaps & resolutions out there hah! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.