Author Topic: Best Rod Case  (Read 1930 times)

Offline prov1ml

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Rod Case
« on: Feb 14, 2023, 03:56 PM »
Looking to either upgrade my Frabill that's probably 5+ years old or add to it. It's getting rather full. I've checked out most of the ones out there but curious what 'real world' experience with some are and hopefully a general consensus of what the go-to is.

Thank you in advance!

Offline clmiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best Rod Case
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2023, 04:42 PM »
Eagle Claw Ice Rod and reel case,will hold up to 6 rods and reels plus some tackle.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:50 PM »
Scheels case looks pretty good may be too bulky for some but probably would drop some weight from my current setup. I currently use a big Plano gun case, I can get 6-8 rods, the extra large clam spoon box, 3 slim 3600 trays, couple jig boxes, and some other miscellaneous stuff. I have no real complaints other than it's heavy. Too many different factors that play into a decision to say there's really a best case out there. Number of rods, rod length, and durability vs portability are the big things to think about imo

Offline billybob851

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2023, 05:34 AM »
I also use the plano gun case.  Its big but never worry about a rod being broken or tangled when I get there. I have 7 combos in it

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2023, 06:59 AM »
I love my SI Transported case .. holds 5 rods .lots of storage..it does double duty for lure/tackle storage and the large center pouch holds some spare hats/gloves my M18 light an M18 drill and what ever else I can stuff in there....it almost seems endless .

My new Eskimo 32" bag holds 4 rods and has a center pouch ...I like that one as well.

I have used the Eagle Claw and Flamebeu cases ...just not my style ...but these are good for rod protection .

I also started out with a Frabill case ..that one was good but had to collapse the reel handles so my love for it weened .

And of course the soft bags...good storage with golf tubes and/or HT rod guards helps .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Shall08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2023, 07:28 AM »
I love mine from scheels. It’s a bit bulky and heavy but it keeps my rods secure and holds majority of my tackle in it as well. Great box.

Offline hillestadj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2023, 08:27 AM »
I have a Scheels 2.0 - 36" that I can comfortably get 8 combos in (4 inlines on one side, 4 spinning on the other).  To me unless you need the length the 42" is just overly bulky.

Also have a pair of 2B rod bags that I really like. One I keep tip down set ups in if I'm going out focusing on that only. The other I like for days I know I'm hole hopping. 

Had the Eskimo 32" bag and IMO 2B is the better set up if you're going that route.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2023, 10:32 AM »
I use the Otter Sportsman cases for mainly storage of rods during the off season.  Will also use this case if I know I am driving the truck out on the lake.  The size of this case is a little large to be storing inside the flip-over or hub when fishing.  If I am trying to go light, then I use the new to me 2B XL rod case.  Holds 4 rods, but can get 5 in there if needed.  This has the tubes built into it to keep rods from being damaged, and is now my choice to use when I go out on the lake. 

The Sportsman is no longer manufactured, and really hated to see this.  I know Otter came out with a new designed case, but I think they are too heavy when trying to reduce weight.  No doubt it will keep your rods safe.  I prefer the hardside cases, as these provide more protection during storage and travel.  If you don't have to worry about that - look into the soft sided cases and you can always add a golf tube for protection if you need that.

I don't have the Scheels cases - but these look to be a good idea to look at.  Ice Innovations and Lakewood products have similar cases, so you could look there. 

Really comes down to what you will actually use it for.  Also, what are the typical rod lengths you use - this will lead to a certain design. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2023, 12:27 PM »
I have the big Scheels 2.0, It's a monster and it's heavy but it holds everything I need plus stuff I don't lol... It stays at home when I'm hoofing it, but if the ice is good enough for a sled or wheeler and the flip shack I bring that knowing I've got everything. It's also great protected storage in the off season. When on foot I use a Fenwick soft side case that is a rebadged version of the cabelas 8 rod case, I think that is now only sold with the BPS badging.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2023, 07:03 AM »
   my case is HT SOFT canvas bag ,
   what  I added was  golf club tubes and also I use the
   foam POOL noodles to protect the ultra lite rods   works for  me
snowsnake

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2023, 07:27 AM »
on another thread they recommended the piscifun collapsible handle reels. I can't speak to their performance other then they seem to work well but the handle folding is really nice for storage.

Offline Percheye1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2023, 03:04 PM »
I have the Eagle Claw hard case and have been very pleased.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2023, 03:26 PM »
STRIKER ICE ROD CASE
EAGLE CLAW HARD CASE
PLANO FOR MY BIGGER RODS
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2023, 03:55 PM »
I have the Scheels 2.0 in the 36" size. I think I have 6 rods in it right now and all of my lures. it comes with 5 or 6 medium size tackle boxes, 2 small tackle boxes(hooks, snaps, sinkers), and a spot to add your own items. When I got it, I loaded all my rods in, shut it and walked out of the room. When I came back, my 5 year old was standing on it with zero damage to the rods. I wouldn't toss it from the second floor of my house, but from an average height of a tailgate, I wouldn't be worried if it fell.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2023, 10:49 AM »
Made one out of cut PVC, foam, and some of my wife hair elastics. Serves double duty as a sand spike in the spring!
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline mugsy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2023, 05:51 PM »
eagle claw

Got everything i need in it,  all my lures n tackle, 4 rods - 3 w/reels on them.
secured the plastic shoebox in it w/handwarmers, gloves, cleats, safety picks and baitcast reel

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2023, 02:24 PM »
It's tough to find a good ice rod case.

Some of them are way, way too big + bulky & take up most of your sled.  Anything w/ latches, you have to be double dog sure those latches will last in the cold or need to secure w/ a bungee or similar.

I have 2 old, green Cabela's ice rod cases.  I prefer zippers over latches in the cold - less issues.  Both are great - I prefer the older one.  Seems like every iteration of a product, companies have a way of making them worse - maybe cheaper manufacturing?  I don't know.  They are showing their age now, but I wouldn't trade them.  1 of which I just had to replace the cheap stock tube (w/ 2" PVC).  The PVC is super heavy duty & will never bend or break, but adds weight.  I don't believe they make them any more, but I think I saw a cheaper BPS version (in black).  I can fit 2, 36" rods w/ reels (not fold down handles) in each case.

My other 2 cases are old Ready Rig 34" cases.  These weren't very well sewn & will fray over time, but they are excellent cases for shorter rods (<32").  I just keep trimming the frays w/ scissors + re-stitching every year.  I don't believe they make these any more, but you can still find them at online auction sites.  (Just checked & there's 2 for sale).

Depending on where I'm going, I might bring 2 or 3 rod cases w/ me, so I can mix & match depending on where I plan on fishing.

Hope that helps.  Good luck in your search!   ;D

Offline Flatrocker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2023, 03:14 PM »
I also like my older version Otter, metal latches!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.