Author Topic: Faulty Flame King 1lb Tank  (Read 2313 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Faulty Flame King 1lb Tank
« on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:56 AM »
Just a heads up, I filled up my 6 Flame King 1lb cans yesterday and 1 of them just would not seal up and was hissing and leaking propane out of the valve on top.  I tried re-screwing it in to the refill adapter, used a small screw driver to poke the needle to try to get it to re-seat and nothing would work.  For now, I just screwed it into my buddy heater, but there's no way I'm using that tank again.  I've only refilled this tank maybe 5 times at most and have always used brass thread protectors on the top when it's not hooked up to anything.  I've sent an email to Flame King, so we'll see what they have to say.  This is a post-recall tank, so even though these are meant to be refilled, definitely check them each time.  Pretty discouraging, but hopefully Flame King makes it right and replaces it.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Faulty Flame King 1lb Tank
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2023, 10:57 AM »
I have used a  small plastic zip tie end and pushed it down into the tanks seal ...make sure no water/moisture is in or around the seal before filling .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:12 AM »
Thanks for the vid. Glad to see I'm not the only one.  We'll see what Flame King has to say, I sent them an email yesterday.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:55 PM »
I also had one last year do the same... :tipup:

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:58 PM »
How'd you end up resolving it?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2023, 08:13 AM »
Just to follow-up, Flame King is sending me a new o-ring to try to install.  I'll follow-up to let you guys know if it fixes it after I install it.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Just to follow-up, Flame King is sending me a new o-ring to try to install.  I'll follow-up to let you guys know if it fixes it after I install it.

Any updates with this? did the new o-ring resolve the issue? Did Flame King charge you for anything or just send it for free?

I have one leaking now also have a couple seasons of use. 3 out of the 4 I have do  not have any  issues.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2023, 06:55 AM »
If you put a drop of vegetable oil in the valve/ o- ring seat before re- filling, it will keep the rings & needle lubricated allowing it to open & close freely..
Do not use a petroleum based oil lubricant, it's an explosion hazard due to regulator being used.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2023, 07:21 PM »
If you put a drop of vegetable oil in the valve/ o- ring seat before re- filling, it will keep the rings & needle lubricated allowing it to open & close freely..
Do not use a petroleum based oil lubricant, it's an explosion hazard due to regulator being used.

Flame King ended up sending me 2 new o-ring kits.  No instructions at all, but thanks to Dtro's video, I was able to dig the old one out.  It didn't look damaged at all.  I pressed the new one in and refilled the tank tonight and no leak.  Sprayed some soapy water on the valve to make sure, and saw no bubbles. I'm a happy Flame King customer again  ;)

If you're having any issues, I'd recommend sending Flame King an email and they'll make it right.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2024, 09:18 PM »
bumping this old thread back to the top

attempted to fill my four 1lb flame king tanks tonight to fish tomorrow and now 3 out of the 4 are leaking. I am going to reach out to flame king for more seals. First time I have attempted to fill them since last march.

also have the refill assembly leaking where it connects to the 20lb tank. with no canister screwed on it doesn't leak but once I screw one on, the weight of the empty 1lb tank makes it start leaking. not just a hissing, its literally leaking liquid lp basically making the entire assembly useless. i no longer feel safe using it even if filling outdoors.

any one else experience this? considering the mark up and high price I paid for canisters last year and year prior I would expect to get more than a couple seasons out of them.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2024, 09:54 PM »
I've had some similar issues but overall still a fan.  Couple of years ago I emailed FK and they sent me a couple of ORing kits at NC.  I reached out again this year hoping to purchase a dozen or so. They still don't offer them for purchase but asked for proof of purchase and said they'd send some out at NC after I sent them POP.  A few weeks later...still waiting.  My leaker this year seemed to seal up after I rinsed it out good and depressed the pin in the valve assembly a few times when it dried in warmer temps.  Holding tight now.  O'ring and valve stem seem to be 2 different issues but we'll see.  Not sure about the leaks at the bottle connection.  Maybe a gasket failing in there.  After 5 or 6 years they've more than paid for themselves. I use them all year round. Surprised there's not a better (more expensive) mousetrap in the market yet. 

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2024, 08:06 AM »
I've got another leaky tank that I'm beginning to suspect is from my Little Buddy heater.  I'm thinking the pin on the valve on the heater is just a hair too thick and causes the rubber o-ring and plastic sleeve to pull out a little bit, causing a leak.  I recently filled a tank and noticed it leaking, so I quickly screwed it back into the heater to stop it from leaking all of the propane out.  Once I use it and the tank is empty, I'm going to try to push down on the plastic sleeve to see if I can't get it to re-seat.  On my last tank that I replaced the rubber o-ring and sleeve, the one that I removed looked perfectly fine.  We'll see.  I'll post back here once I figure it out.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2024, 08:53 AM »
just following up, after providing proof of purchase, flame king did send me a replacement refill assembly, the part that connects to the larger tank that the refillable canisters get connected to. they also sent some more seals for the cannisters

I am happy with the support and service, not thrilled about having to request additional seals for the 2nd time though. Hopefully this new assembly lasts longer.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2024, 09:47 AM »
Between the issues with flame king and Mr Heater refillable tanks along with other sites I watch. I’m starting to take a second look at those little green bombs. Never had an issue with those.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2024, 10:45 AM »
My issue ended up being from using my torch, not my buddy heater.  I pressed the plastic sleeve down a little bit, and it didn't do anything. I ended up taking a small screwdriver and pushing down on the needle valve on the tank a couple times to get it to re-seat properly, and the leak stopped.  I'm thinking this is the same issue I had last time too seeing as I've only put these Flame King tanks on my torch a couple times now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.