Author Topic: Anyone still make good tip-ups?  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone still make good tip-ups?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2022, 08:19 AM »
I just got 3 Jack Traps for a buddy. They are as good as ever. Oak and ash are interchanged in many applications. They are VERY similar. Ash generally has more swirls in the grain. Major league baseball bats are made from ash, so it has to be tough enough to make a tip-up.

I agree but I just like Oak for some strange reason. What I would love to know is are the new Ash ones still finished and sealed with the high gloss paint like mine? I have no idea what clear paint or laquer they use but the finish takes a beating and just keeps looking great for years and years.

If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2022, 11:42 AM »
The finish is almost fine furniture quality on the Jack Traps that just showed up. The exact same as mine that I bought 5 years ago. The finish has held up perfectly. I use my tip-ups around 20 times a winter.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2022, 12:00 PM »
I refreshed a post under the "Tip-Up" section of this site. The thread is called " Jack vs. BD vs HL". It's a real world plus and minus list of three better brand tip-ups.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #33 on: Jan 22, 2022, 06:28 PM »
I love my 40ups cant find them anywhere now that they are gone.  There was a set on ebay last week for 70 bucks that were probably as old as me
we need to start a thread?
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:40 PM »
I've been using the cheapest HT tip ups i can find. This year i wanted to get some nicer ones.. My first choice was some beaver dams but everywhere is sold out. I know the older ones are better than the new ones. But is $40 for a new beaver dam a fair price in this day in age? I'm wondering if i should jump on the deal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:55 PM »
Hard to beat eBay for the older quality beaver damns.

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2022, 05:57 PM »
Hard to beat eBay for the older quality beaver damns.

So, even for the $40 for a new one you'd still suggest buying an older model for $40 instead? How does one tell them apart, just based on the condition?

Thank you

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2022, 10:26 PM »
I have this set given to me for my 18th birthday 20 years ago they have worked great since don't know the brand looks like it used to be written on the flags years before I came across the set kind of curious if anyone out there knows

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2022, 12:03 PM »
I use Frabill Arctic Fire.  I have had zero issues with them.  Been using them for years.  Not one complaint, not one issue.  I have 15 of them.  Plus the price is right.  Have caught Bass, Crappie, Pike, Bowfin, and Walleye with them.  The flags could be a little higher, but seldom have deep snow where its an issue.

I still have the original 4 that I got back in 2005 when I started fishing "on my own". I don't use them that often anymore, since I mostly jig and move around too much to worry about tip-ups, but they still work as well as the day I got them.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:55 PM »
I love my 40ups cant find them anywhere now that they are gone.  There was a set on ebay last week for 70 bucks that were probably as old as me

Not sure where you are but just saw this on my local NY Hudson Valley Craigslist.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/spo/d/carmel-ice-fishing-tip-ups/7425011739.html
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:40 PM »

Offline FENNDANGO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 28, 2022, 07:44 PM »
I had a bunch of 40 ups I guess I gave them away. Still have a set of Riverside. When I fished as a kid I used Heritage Lakers but if I were to buy something new now I'd go with something round that covers the hole so it doesn't freeze. And there's nothing worse than trying to get a bunch of frozen tip ups that you can't fold back up home.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:52 AM »
So, even for the $40 for a new one you'd still suggest buying an older model for $40 instead? How does one tell them apart, just based on the condition?

Thank you

Ive been ice fishing 40 years and used them all and have settled with the Beaver Dams, by far the smoothest best tip ups out there. If the snow is really high I use Heritage lakers. Beaver Dams are simply the best. A lot of people love Maine Jack Traps and they are good but a pain and painful to set the flags in bitter cold and not sensitive for smaller fish...very hard set. I love all the plastic polars as long as you re-lube them every 2 or 3 years. I have a set of Beaver dams over 20 years old and still as smooth as the day they were made, never had to be re-lubed. I love the flat style tip-ups for 2 main reasons: you always know when the fish is running and the fish NEVER feels the line coming off the reel because the line guide turns to where the fish is running.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2022, 11:05 AM »
Ive been ice fishing 40 years and used them all and have settled with the Beaver Dams, by far the smoothest best tip ups out there. If the snow is really high I use Heritage lakers. Beaver Dams are simply the best. A lot of people love Maine Jack Traps and they are good but a pain and painful to set the flags in bitter cold and not sensitive for smaller fish...very hard set. I love all the plastic polars as long as you re-lube them every 2 or 3 years. I have a set of Beaver dams over 20 years old and still as smooth as the day they were made, never had to be re-lubed. I love the flat style tip-ups for 2 main reasons: you always know when the fish is running and the fish NEVER feels the line coming off the reel because the line guide turns to where the fish is running.

Thank you! I'm pretty set on beaver dams since i'm used to the style. I've just been on the fence when it comes to buying a new one, or take the advice i was given and spend the same amount on a "vintage" one with a soldered spool. I probably wont be able to tell the difference based on the fact I've only ever used the modern cheap plastic ones. Any tricks when winding it back up at the end of the day when you're fishing in deeper water?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2022, 05:58 PM »
I cut a small slit in the brass line guide and then sanded it smooth. That way you can take the line out of the guide, and wrap the line tight like you would with any rail style tip-up.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline davile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2022, 06:03 PM »
I do ..the balanced rocker..made of oak..maple dowel..ceader blocks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.