Author Topic: Taking the Picsifun plunge  (Read 1261 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Taking the Picsifun plunge
« on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:53 PM »
Done working on the 13 fishing pickle freefall and buying a picsifun inline reel. Recommendations on the ICX Carbon or Precision? Using for smaller jigs panfishing.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Taking the Picsifun plunge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:18 PM »
I have both models since you ask. The Carbon is good and fairly smooth in acting with its drag. The ICX i have in both left and right hand, decent for what you pay and get. My only advice is to make sure you get the newer ICX they have a better drop lever offset that does not interfere as much as the older ones.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:34 PM »
Didn’t realize they updated the handle. I have the original and that handle is terrible. Not sure how they tested that and put it on the market. I have a blackbetty freefall that gets the most use by a Mile. Though could use better drag.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:37 PM »
Saying goes, If you plant corn you get corn. Buy a pickle. :o

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:40 PM »
Watched a video that was made with the update and asked if the new handle would be made available to the owners of the older models. At that time the answer was and I can not quote because I do not remember the exact words but boiled down to the handles are not yet available for the older models and he was not sure when they would be.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2022, 07:46 PM »
Found the video
&t=97s

Gary Kyte
Gary Kyte
1 month ago
I have enjoyed my ICX P in both Left and Right-hand models I picked up last year. Is it possible to order the new drop style releases for them?

Piscifun
Piscifun
1 month ago
We are working on that now and will
Let everyone know when ready!

Gary Kyte
Gary Kyte
1 month ago
 @Piscifun  Thank you, between Piscifun and my family we are enjoying more quality time fishing.

Gary Kyte
Gary Kyte
1 second ago
 @Piscifun  Just wondering where we are with the updated handle for the older icx p's

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2022, 08:48 PM »
Maybe i’ll hold off. Son can use my freefall as i dont use it anyway. Still figuring out how the inline fits in My fishing plans.

Offline kyl_me

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:03 PM »
Found the video
&t=97s

Gary Kyte
Gary Kyte
1 month ago
I have enjoyed my ICX P in both Left and Right-hand models I picked up last year. Is it possible to order the new drop style releases for them?

Piscifun
Piscifun
1 month ago
We are working on that now and will
Let everyone know when ready!

Gary Kyte
Gary Kyte
1 month ago
 @Piscifun  Thank you, between Piscifun and my family we are enjoying more quality time fishing.

Gary Kyte
Gary Kyte
1 second ago
 @Piscifun  Just wondering where we are with the updated handle for the older icx p's

Is that guy using his reel turning hand to drop the line? That design change makes it look like I would have to reach even further across the line to drop the jig. I use the hand that holds the rod to drop the line. The hand that turns the reel is doing nothing unless I want to raise the jig or reel in a fish. That reel is still a pass for me.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:41 PM »
Yes, the crank and drop are on the same side.

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2022, 07:20 AM »
What an awkward reel... it would highly benefit that company to hire some people that fish to help with designs.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2022, 09:46 AM »
What an awkward reel... it would highly benefit that company to hire some people that fish to help with designs.
I agree 100%. This video is misleading if you hold the reel in your right hand you still have to reach across the line to grab the lever. He has a right hand reel and he holds it in his right hand to show how easy it is to use the lever. Who does that?
So what do they do they come out with the new Piscifun ICX Carbon reel with lever problems. And a spool that's open in the back causing problems for people using a pencil grip. Makes you question R&D.

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2022, 10:24 AM »
I picked up an ICX carbon inline a few weeks ago and have had the chance to use it a few times.  My first inline setup, so not much to compare it to.  I'm left handed, hold the reel in my left hand and use right hand to crank, so I purchased the right hand retrieve version.  No issues getting to the lever with my left index finger.  Spool tension knob is a bit tricky to adjust with gloves on.  Happy with the performance so far.

Also picked up a Viper X reel at the same time.  Both showed up and sat outside the house for a few hours around 0*.  The ICX functioned fine right away, the Viper's anti-reverse wasn't working after sitting out in the cold.  Not a great start for an ice reel.  I pulled the spool off and worked some oil into the clutch bearing and it was fine this past weekend.  I like the drag on it and it's pretty smooth overall.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.