The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pike  (Read 1090 times)

Offline ChervT

• IceShanty Rookie
Pike
« on: Jan 15, 2022, 09:35 AM »
What's your thoughts on using dead bait for pike versus the the live stuff? Any success on the store bought shad and stuff?

Offline tferg7

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pike
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2022, 09:00 PM »
I never fished live bait for pike/musky too often but i’ve seen guys say they catch them on both and seen guys that won’t fish anything but live.

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2022, 09:55 AM »
Not sure where you live or fish ChervT, but there are almost no pike in Pennsylvania. There’s basically none in eastern PA and only a handful of lakes in western PA that have fishable populations of pike.

In short, there’s probably not many fishermen on the PA forums that will have much personal experience ice fishing pike. If you want to learn about ice fishing pike with live bait, dead bait or have any other type of pike-related questions, I would recommend:

1. Check the threads on the bottom of the main Ice Shanty forum. There are threads devoted to specific species like pike, trout, crappie, perch,etc.

2. Put a post on one of the other state forums where pike are more common (Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, etc.)

Hope this helps!

Offline Icefishin Wizz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lurker for Life
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2022, 05:16 PM »
Wallenpaupack has a decent wild population as does the Susquehanna river. Two excellant ice fishing choices in NEPA. I dont use dead bait for pike but if i was going to I would avoid the packaged store bought offerings. I did see 2 pound bags of frozen smelt in the supermarket thatn8s getting closer what you need.

Offline paramedicjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2022, 06:57 PM »
We target Pike on a regular basis, and we do it in PA on a few lakes. Feel free to PM me about a few locations to meet up with the Pike Patrol. And we get pizza delivered to the launch!!

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:18 PM »
Dead smelt, on/near the bottom, or just under the ice will smack'em.

Hardwater...is there any other?

Offline Marauder2008

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2022, 01:24 PM »
Caught my PR 44inch pike using dead bait. Suspended almost vertically using a hand-tied quick strike rig.
"When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too."

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2022, 08:12 PM »
We also target pike all the time in PA on the ice. We use the largest live shiners we can find and catch fish all the time. We aren’t pulling out 40 inch + fish like you see in other states but we are still catching them. Glendale has a good population of Northerns   
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram

Offline Jim_R

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Partner
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:48 PM »

Hardwater...is there any other?