Author Topic: Tip up Line  (Read 1046 times)

Offline midstate1989

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up Line
« on: Dec 05, 2021, 09:19 AM »
What is everyones GO TO tip up line.   Just ordered the brand I usually use and its now " Stronger and Thinner "  I dont like thinner.  it slips through my hands. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Tip up Line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2021, 11:36 AM »
I only use mason or woodstock brand.nothing fancy.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:11 PM »
I only use mason or woodstock brand.nothing fancy.

X2 on Masons
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:25 PM »

My recommendation for tip-up line is #1 Woodstock #2 Woodstock and #3 Woodstock  :)

"Woodstock™ Tip-Up Line
 Woodstock makes some of the toughest, yet most subtle tip-up line around. Its unique round configuration and tightly braided nylon make the line exceptionally strong and manageable. The line is subjected to a
 three-step heat-set and waterproofing process that reduces stretch and freeze-up. You won’t find a tip-up line that performs better, is more durable, or has more hook-setting power. Made in USA."

I haven't tried Mason, but have only heard good things about it.

Good Luck All  :tipup:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2021, 01:15 PM »
I've probably used of the most brands over the years:  Berkley, Cortland, Mason, Woodstock, Gudebrod, Cabelas, and some "no-name" spools. All were pretty much the same, even the no-namers except for one spool and I can't remember the brand. My go to is Gudebrod GT. Nice tight weave, PTFE coated and easy to handle is pound tests of 30 -36#. In those diameter you get 60 +/- yards of line on a typical Polar or Beaver Dam spool; just fine for the type of fishing I do.

My preference is Dacron vs nylon. Be mindful of the quality of the braid. I had some once where the weave was very loose and "floppy". It was horrible. Held tons of water, got snagged on everything, knotted like crap.

You are right to be choosy about diameter in regards to handling. For Dacron or nylon 30# is about the minimum diameter for good handling. Superlines should be out altogether unless you're rich. There 100# would be my choice. It's not about the pound test but the diameter of the line.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2021, 01:23 PM »
Mason for me.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.