Author Topic: Sleeper rental fishing trip advice  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sleeper rental fishing trip advice
« on: Oct 11, 2021, 01:19 AM »
Trying to knock one off the bucket list this winter. Looking to take a trip where it's possible to rent a sleeper shack. Would like to rent a decked out shack we could stay on the ice for 4 days. Live near Pittsburgh PA and willing to drive 12hrs. Panfish and walleye are the desired fish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sleeper rental fishing trip advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Not as familiar with your area but I’ve stayed in a few sleepers. That are a great experience but I do like having a porcelain toilet and a shower every couple days. Ice castles are usually pretty much the same. My advice would be to bring portables and move around during the day. It’s a great experience but for no more than it costs for a hotel or rental cabin I’m sticking with a cabin most of the time.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2021, 11:36 AM »
If anyone has info on same accommodations in Vermont I would appreciate that.

Offline parker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2021, 05:41 AM »
https://www.northherohouse.com/

This is a great place  in Vermont. Had some friends go there. Lots of good sized pike on Lake Champlain.
is there anything better than a day on the ice?

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2021, 06:01 AM »
They don’t have sleeper shacks.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2021, 08:58 AM »
Junkie; i live about 60 mi. north of you. we( son ,n, i) go to MN ,n ND several times every yr. our trips are 14 to 18 or 19 hrs. tho. we take 2 days to get there. 2 reasons; most sleepers you can,t check in til noon or later. get up 2nd morn, get good breakfast, shop for groceries, tackle , and nonres. licence, drive 2-6 hrs, check in refreshed, not beat up from long day in pickup. we stay in sleeper 4-7 days. take WAY more food ,n, water than you think you need, even if you,re anal about menu. reason-weather!!! we,ve been stuck a couple times when storm moved thru ,n, resort can,t keep road on ice plowed. some sleepers have 5 gal bucket ,n, trash bags in closet, some have heated ( or not) portapottys handy. i,m an old  farm boy,raised on a 2 holer, so no problem there. you could take an rv portapotty if you prefer. you don,t say when you want to go, but, if this          upcoming season, go online, go to state      you are      interested in, tourist bureau, winter resorts, sleeper ice houses, ,n, book. you may have to book late season. check out MILLE LACS, MN LEECH LAKE, MN, WINNIE MN UPPER RED LAKE, MN. hope this helps. good luck. P.S. have we fished ARTHER  together ,n, didnt know each other?

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2021, 12:51 PM »
Thanks wirenut, there's a very good chance we were on Aurther together.  Spent a lot of time in the muddy creek, church or McDaniel 's areas. Sounds like you hit all the best lakes in MN. Thanks for all the advice

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2021, 03:58 PM »
I went up to Lake Nipissing from Williamsport back in 2007 and stayed in a sleeper shack for a few days. it's about an 8 hour trip from north central PA and the same from Pittsburgh. We took out own gear/food/drink/supplies. The service we used brought fresh bait by a few times a day and even delivered more beer when we ran out(10 or 11 guys can put a dent in some booze). We had three shacks located relatively close so we could visit during the day and then just use one shack to cook each night. They had propane heat and lights, had a small TV that could get channels over the air, and a semi-heated toilet that was attached to the shack, but you had to exit the main door and go around to the side to enter. each shack could hold 6(maybe 8) people, but we only had 3 or 4 in each, since a few people had to back out at the last second.

10/10 would go again.
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2021, 02:41 AM »
Thanks prime, I will check it out.

Offline Ice Junkie 76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Anybody know, are there sleepers in the U.P. Michigan? Thanks

Online bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2021, 08:36 AM »
Most of the sleeper huts I've seen are on Canadian bodies of water. I haven't heard of anyone consistently offering anything like that in New England (within your driving range). I know there are some sleepers around the Chequamegon Bay area as well.
Tight Lines!

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2021, 10:13 AM »
there are some in Maine and Vermont
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 19, 2021, 03:14 PM »
Papa, do you know where in Maine or Vermont?

Offline bubbagill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Marking Reds, Catching Greens.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 19, 2021, 03:53 PM »
Anybody know, are there sleepers in the U.P. Michigan? Thanks
RTH fishing LLC offers basic sleepers on little bay de noc, we stayed a couple of nights last year.  It was a cool experience, the bite was off but we had a great time.  Ryan works his tail off to find his clients fish.
Marking Reds, catching Greens.
HOLY COW.  Go Cubs Go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.