Author Topic: Clam Auger Drill Plate Adapter(s) Help  (Read 2355 times)

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishin or Trail Ridin!
Clam Auger Drill Plate Adapter(s) Help
« on: Oct 07, 2021, 07:54 AM »
So I picked up the Clam Drill Adapter,  overall I like it, it's a decent design.

However,  it's useless in real world applications with the hand auger it's designed to fit.... stupid thing is about 2.5' tall.  I mean really,  you supposed to use it on your knees?

The only extensions I'm finding are for the power augers.  And frankly,  I'd rather use a power auger bit anyway. 

Does ANYONE make an adapter that goes from the clam hand auger size shaft to the larger power auger size?

These are all I can find and I don't believe either works with the eskimo power auger bit. 

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Clam Auger Drill Plate Adapter(s) Help
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:55 AM »
Try eBay. Search “clam plate adapter”.  Lots of different sizes listed there. I use Nils and got mine from an eBay seller.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:04 AM »
This one will work goes from the Clam plate output shaft (18 mm) to the input shaft of most Gas power auger heads (22 mm)

https://www.amazon.com/K-DRILL-POWER-AUGER-ADAPTER-CONVERT/dp/B076TDQL54

this is the extension ..from the Clam Plate output (18 mm) to most hand auger (18 mm)..This will also work with most flat blade composite augers (Pistol Bit..HT E-Drill Vevor)

https://www.amazon.com/Clam-CLAM0-9561-Drill-Extension/dp/B00FJXWLX2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=clam+plate+auger+extension&qid=1633614358&sr=8-2

The other one you posted could work ..but I am not familiar with it ..as I have other one above ..it fits my K-Drill and my steel 8" SM Mag 2000 chipper.

Now with al lthat  being said ..I would be hesitant to put a Power head steel bit on my Clam Plate..due to extreme weight ..and w/o the right cordless drill set up  you could be asking for trouble .

If you are at the Cross roads ..this may be a better option ..8" composite ..centerpoint (no glare ice skipping) and a center ring/break through ring ..$123.10..and unless you really tall this is the right and should mount to the Clam Plate w/o and adapters/extensions and be a good height

https://www.vevor.com/products/vevor-ice-drill-auger-nylon-ice-auger-bit-8-x-39-w-drill-adapter-ice-fishing?_pos=2&_sid=82bec4c74&_ss=r

use code: MXJP1SWA5CA4 at checkout to get the discount

Added bonus ..to take the slop out of the trigger add castration ring or a rubber seal to the trigger ..castration rings can also double as a reel holder on your ice rods ..Tractor supply usually stocks them or amazon

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:19 AM »
I used mine for the first few years without an extension. Im 6'. By mid season you are almost touching your toes, you are right, its a back killer. I purchased the clam extension last season. works like a charm for hand augers. (https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-auger-extension.html). I run a 6" and a 8".

I would think a local fab shop could probably rig you one up for a fair price.

You must have a big drill or power head if you plan on turning a gas power bit, those are heavy as heck when compared to what most people are running on a drill set up.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:25 AM »
These are the cordless drills that work ..if you do not have the right cordless drill ..you will eventually have an epic fail..note once you get your set up done it will be so light weight and functional you will drill more holes and move more.

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:14 AM »
I have a big Milwaukee Fuel Hammer Drill,  no problem there.  I'm not worried about weight,  I've ran a z71 10" auger for years. 

I'd like to use this setup if I can find the right adapter.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:14 AM »
This may be a better option ..if you have a She Shed Picture Hanging Drill

https://www.scheels.com/p/drill-plate-w%2F-clam-power-drive-gear-box/71992115501.html

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:15 AM »
Try eBay. Search “clam plate adapter”.  Lots of different sizes listed there. I use Nils and got mine from an eBay seller.

I've been searching for days.  I haven't found a single adapter that states it works with both the clam Plate and a gas auger bit. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:16 AM »
I have a big Milwaukee Fuel Hammer Drill,  no problem there.  I'm not worried about weight,  I've ran a z71 10" auger for years. 

I'd like to use this setup if I can find the right adapter.

Then this is the adapter you want

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:21 AM »
ToMang07..once again my BIG concern even with a 2804-22is the weight and the strain of your chosen auger choice ..a 10 in steel auger has some poundage ...does it have a single chipper blade or dual blades ?

This would be my go to if I were to run a 10" steel auger ...will not win any speed contest but would save wear n tear .. do you drill alot of holes ?

https://www.scheels.com/p/drill-plate-w%2F-clam-power-drive-gear-box/71992115501.html

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:22 AM »

Then this is the adapter you want

I appreciate it.  I've never put hands on one of those K Drills so I didn't know if they were similar.  Thanks

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 07, 2021, 10:46 AM »
These are the cordless drills that work ..if you do not have the right cordless drill ..you will eventually have an epic fail..note once you get your set up done it will be so light weight and functional you will drill more holes and move more.

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!

You forgot to mention RIGID. They make some seriously power drills that are tough as nails.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2021, 11:01 AM »

You forgot to mention RIGID. They make some seriously power drills that are tough as nails.

I took Ridgid off the list ..as the Octane line up is Kaput ..the current line up is a lil shy on torque and has not been put through the paces by IS members like the above drills. Also some folks use the Ryobi ..once again limited testing/reviews not on my list ..the Flex drill line up(new this year via Lowes) has the right specs but once again  user reviews are non existent. 

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2021, 12:23 PM »
ToMang07..once again my BIG concern even with a 2804-22is the weight and the strain of your chosen auger choice ..a 10 in steel auger has some poundage ...does it have a single chipper blade or dual blades ?

This would be my go to if I were to run a 10" steel auger ...will not win any speed contest but would save wear n tear .. do you drill alot of holes ?

I'm not overly concerned.  I'm not planning on banging it up too much,  and I always have everything secured well when traveling.  I have a 10" and 8" bit for my power augers.  They are much better than the hand auger bit,  they have bigger dual blades and a center point to prevent travel,  plus a ring around the outside,  sturdy,  but not overly heavy IMO. Weak point will be the shaft of the clam plate from the drill chuck adapter to the large bit adapter...I don't forsee it being a big problem,  but if it is Ill reevaluate.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2021, 12:40 PM »
I'm not overly concerned.  I'm not planning on banging it up too much,  and I always have everything secured well when traveling.  I have a 10" and 8" bit for my power augers.  They are much better than the hand auger bit,  they have bigger dual blades and a center point to prevent travel,  plus a ring around the outside,  sturdy,  but not overly heavy IMO. Weak point will be the shaft of the clam plate from the drill chuck adapter to the large bit adapter...I don't forsee it being a big problem,  but if it is Ill reevaluate.

Ok ..with that link above for the Clam Plate to K-Drill adapter and you will be all set . Good luck with your set up .

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 07, 2021, 02:40 PM »
I took Ridgid off the list ..as the Octane line up is Kaput ..the current line up is a lil shy on torque and has not been put through the paces by IS members like the above drills. Also some folks use the Ryobi ..once again limited testing/reviews not on my list ..the Flex drill line up(new this year via Lowes) has the right specs but once again  user reviews are non existent.

Interesting I did not realize they killed the octane that fast.

I've been using the rigid gen5x brushless hammer drill (R86116), 700 in. lbs. Going on year 5 this year with it. Still on the same 2x 4ah batteries as well.

Thing has been a tank for me. I run it on a 6" and 8" metal auger with a clam plate.

Is 700 in.lbs under the suggested rating from clam?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Oct 07, 2021, 03:26 PM »
Interesting I did not realize they killed the octane that fast.

I've been using the rigid gen5x brushless hammer drill (R86116), 700 in. lbs. Going on year 5 this year with it. Still on the same 2x 4ah batteries as well.

Thing has been a tank for me. I run it on a 6" and 8" metal auger with a clam plate.

Is 700 in.lbs under the suggested rating from clam?

I believe its 725 in/lbs ..but if you have been running fine with that drill I will have to add it to my list as a battle tested drill. I know I have seen some one offs drill that members say work ..but doesnt have the battle tested following of the list above  .

I just resurrected my Gen 1 Clam Plate(required chuck removal)  for action..I recently bought a Clam Power Drive Gear Box ..I added that to a Clam Plate ...so the left over/removed drill plate bearing box was retro-fabricated to my Gen 1 Clam Plate ..added a 1" piece of aluminum square tubbing to give the drill plate bracket some needed height and that Gen 1 is back in business.

So I am in search of a 10" Mora style steel hand auger...for the Gear Box Clam Plate ..I have buddies with 10" chipper style blade steel auger from their power auger that I may play with when the ice arrives ..but I think the chipper blades may be asking too much even with the gear box.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:59 PM »
So I picked up the Clam Drill Adapter,  overall I like it, it's a decent design.

However,  it's useless in real world applications with the hand auger it's designed to fit.... stupid thing is about 2.5' tall.  I mean really,  you supposed to use it on your knees?

The only extensions I'm finding are for the power augers.  And frankly,  I'd rather use a power auger bit anyway. 

Does ANYONE make an adapter that goes from the clam hand auger size shaft to the larger power auger size?

These are all I can find and I don't believe either works with the eskimo power auger bit.  it should work with the eskimo bit the only power auger bit that doesn't work is jiffy bits since they turn the opposite direction then then all the other bits.

this will give you a longer length overall when using a hand auger:  https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/drill-auger-extension.html for a power auger bit use the kdrill/power auger adapter then add a power auger extension. the eskimo power bit will work the only bit that doesn't work is the jiffy bits since they turn the opposite direction then the other power bits.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:44 PM »
Am I reading this right?

=Person buys a clam plate setup without the clam extension for the the hand auger to get to the desired height.

=Person then decides to use and put on heavy steel auger bits from gas augers to get height.....since they don't care about weight....

=Person has to buy a special adaptor to attach the steel augers.....and goes that way instead of buying the clam extension to use the hand auger.

= It woulda been cheaper to by a gas power head or gas auger and would have had a better cutting result........I don't understand why you would want a clam plate and drill setup if you didn't want the advantages of the weight savings?

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:02 AM »
Am I reading this right?

=Person buys a clam plate setup without the clam extension for the the hand auger to get to the desired height.

=Person then decides to use and put on heavy steel auger bits from gas augers to get height.....since they don't care about weight....

=Person has to buy a special adaptor to attach the steel augers.....and goes that way instead of buying the clam extension to use the hand auger.

= It woulda been cheaper to by a gas power head or gas auger and would have had a better cutting result........I don't understand why you would want a clam plate and drill setup if you didn't want the advantages of the weight savings?

I'll break out the crayons for you, since you're apparently special.

Yup!

*draws green star*

Offline ont_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 08, 2021, 08:14 AM »

I believe its 725 in/lbs ..but if you have been running fine with that drill I will have to add it to my list as a battle tested drill. I know I have seen some one offs drill that members say work ..but doesnt have the battle tested following of the list above  .

I just resurrected my Gen 1 Clam Plate(required chuck removal)  for action..I recently bought a Clam Power Drive Gear Box ..I added that to a Clam Plate ...so the left over/removed drill plate bearing box was retro-fabricated to my Gen 1 Clam Plate ..added a 1" piece of aluminum square tubbing to give the drill plate bracket some needed height and that Gen 1 is back in business.

So I am in search of a 10" Mora style steel hand auger...for the Gear Box Clam Plate ..I have buddies with 10" chipper style blade steel auger from their power auger that I may play with when the ice arrives ..but I think the chipper blades may be asking too much even with the gear box.

I got the power drive last year. Thing is so much better then the first gen. Held up all season like a champ. Unlike my first gen which exploded after its 3rd time out lol. Doubled my battery life too.

Did slow down the auger a bit, but I'm not one of those guys looking to punch 10 holes in 3 seconds...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Oct 08, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I got the power drive last year. Thing is so much better then the first gen. Held up all season like a champ. Unlike my first gen which exploded after its 3rd time out lol. Doubled my battery life too.

Did slow down the auger a bit, but I'm not one of those guys looking to punch 10 holes in 3 seconds...

Nice ..going to suggest you do a full review/new post on the Clam Power Drive Gear Box..as you are the first IS member to have one and put it through its paces for a season ...did you buy it as a complete Clam plate or did you just get the gear drive and add it to an existing plate set up ? I am going to use my geared set upon my Dewalt DCD985 ..which is under torqued and brushed w/4ah batteries and see how that goes ..my buddies have some smaller drills that I may set it up on as well to see how it performs.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:59 PM »
I'll break out the crayons for you, since you're apparently special.

Yup!

*draws green star*

Well…..I guess….good luck…..with that…

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2023, 07:16 AM »

I have a Ridgid R86116 as well. I just upgraded my batts from the 1.5 Ah that came with the pkg to 4 ah batts. I am using it to run a 8" Mora Swede blade. So far, so good. Ice is not very thick though
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2023, 11:29 AM »
 I must need the crayon treatment as well..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.