Author Topic: Ion G2 problem advice  (Read 3316 times)

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion G2 problem advice
« on: Oct 06, 2021, 08:40 PM »
I have an Ion G2 8". Have only used it twice, but both times the power would cut out while drilling. Blades cut fine when it is turning so no issue there. Fully charged battery. Was warm out (above 30 degrees both days) and I keep the battery in an insulated bag when not in use. Also not a matter of needing to clear the hole of shavings because it occurred shortly after starting to drill the hole. I contacted Ardisam customer service about it. First they had me disassemble the forward switch housing to check for loose or pinched wires. No issue found there. Now they are sending me a new controller once it becomes available.

Anyone else run into this problem? I'm thinking it's a battery issue, but they seem to think it's the controller. Thoughts?

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ion G2 problem advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2021, 09:38 PM »
Friend of mine had a strike master 40v brand new with same issue. We tried one of my batteries in it and it worked fine.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2021, 10:15 PM »
Running the 10" G2, only time mines cut out was when the battery was tired .

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2021, 07:07 AM »
I had the same issue with my Ion. The controller was the issue. Never had a problem after I replaced it. It acted like you just let off the trigger. Click the trigger a few times and it would work fine for a while, Finally it quit all together.

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds identical to what I have going on, BH2. Guess I'll wait til the controller arrives (they estimated early Dec) and see if that does the trick.

Was it difficult to install the new controller?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2021, 09:47 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Sounds identical to what I have going on, BH2. Guess I'll wait til the controller arrives (they estimated early Dec) and see if that does the trick.

Was it difficult to install the new controller?

I tend to think if ION has a video on controller components  replacement ..they may have had a lot of issues .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2021, 01:16 PM »
I would certainly send it back before taking a brand new electric auger apart.  I would have to think that would affect the warrantee?

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2021, 02:40 PM »
I would certainly send it back before taking a brand new electric auger apart.  I would have to think that would affect the warrantee?

Agreed, ion/ardisam gets a pretty penny for those G2s I'd want a new auger not the faulty one

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:48 PM »
I contacted Ardisam CS again today. They reiterated that the issue will be resolved with the new controller. Also confirmed that installing it myself will not affect the warranty. They said they keep records of all of these communications and with them advising me to do this my warranty will not be affected.

I'm admittedly not very handy so I found the video rather daunting. I could see myself having a tough time with a few of the steps. Also would be nice if the video was actually of the G2, which is designed quite a bit differently than the model shown.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2021, 06:40 AM »
vinella couple quick tips ..get a muffin baking tin ...helps keep and organizes the various parts/hardware . Use your smart phone to take some pictures as you go through the disassembly . Good luck.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline vinella

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2021, 11:00 AM »
vinella couple quick tips ..get a muffin baking tin ...helps keep and organizes the various parts/hardware . Use your smart phone to take some pictures as you go through the disassembly . Good luck.

Good advice, HD. Thanks! First, I think I'm going to push a little harder for them to send me a new auger or power head. I'm sure they'll tell me they are out of stock :-\

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Yes, having to spend your time alone to fix this is BS!  I am very surprised that ION is taking this approach.
"Yeah, it's faulty.  Here's how to fix it.  Good luck!" :-\

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Good advice, HD. Thanks! First, I think I'm going to push a little harder for them to send me a new auger or power head. I'm sure they'll tell me they are out of stock :-\

They may after a little static ..if memory serves I have come across some reconditioned/refurbished IONs on some sites ..so they may just take it back ..shipping may not be negotiable though good luck.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2021, 04:26 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.