Author Topic: Pike jigging setups  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Pike jigging setups
« on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:01 AM »
After doing some chatting for jigging rod line here I came to 10lb power pro mainline and 8lb fluorocarbon leader and was wondering for pike if I should tie straight braid to a steel or tie fluorocarbon to the steel
(Edit any way to move this to a different forum section)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Pike jigging setups
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2021, 11:46 AM »
I do braid to mono/flouro to leader.
I also use much heavier tackle but there are a lot of really big pike where I fish.
It's not uncommon to get 40" plus fish in a day.
Still looking for that 50 incher though.  ;)

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2021, 10:30 PM »
For jigging braid to leader works fine.  If youre worried about visibility you can get a spool of heavy fluoro and make your own leaders.

Are you going to be fishing for teeny tiny pike?  10lb is a really light main line if it's a dedicated pike rig. I would go with something at least stronger than max drag on the reel. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2021, 10:50 PM »
For jigging braid to leader works fine.  If youre worried about visibility you can get a spool of heavy fluoro and make your own leaders.

Are you going to be fishing for teeny tiny pike?  10lb is a really light main line if it's a dedicated pike rig. I would go with something at least stronger than max drag on the reel.

No idk how heavy I would go

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2021, 12:24 AM »
My first rig had 50# braid on.  20-30# steel leaders.  Now I would probably use 20# braid maybe 15# braid cuz they usually break at a much higher strength.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2021, 06:59 AM »
My first rig had 50# braid on.  20-30# steel leaders.  Now I would probably use 20# braid maybe 15# braid cuz they usually break at a much higher strength.
True but I was going with 10lb because of diameter, strength and for lures

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 15, 2021, 06:49 PM »
I won’t mess around with my pike set ups. It’s a 50# braid and an 80-100# mono leader. I’m not using small baits though. It’s essentially a muskie set up on a jig pole and I’ll jig with Bondy baits, fuzzy duzzits, etc. You can get away with this because pike of any size don’t tend to be finicky at all so line size doesn’t really matter much. I refer to pike as “water goats” because they will eat anything. Hang a dang hubcap off of a 58 Buick on your line and they’ll attack it.

Pike are impulsive and size doesn’t matter as much as it does with other species. Many have experienced a 16 inch pike taking down a foot long dead bait. So for that reason I’ll go BIG with my baits and use muskie stuff which means that I want to make darn sure that my line, leader, and components are such where I’ll have confidence in it not failing. When you are using baits in the $30 and up range you want to use line that will hold up in order to protect your investment.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 15, 2021, 08:23 PM »
I'll second the, pike will eat anything. I've had plenty come up and chop down on my cameras. Eyoyo and Aqua vu.
I'm looking to pick out a dedicated rod for pike this year. Probably in the heavy category. I got the new Nasci 2500 all spooled up and waiting.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2021, 05:17 AM »
i always use a swivel to connect main line to leader.  you can use what you want but pike arent line shy a bit.  if there is a bait they want its getting chompped!  most fish are like that really.  like mentioned though heavy line wont let some lures work like they need to.  also too light of line and or rod wont let you set the hooks good enough!  too flimsy a setup and you cant drive the bigger hooks home into bony mouths of gators.  short fight and "aw he's off" scenario. lol 

also use bigger baits than you mite think.  "suspenda strips" put just so on a full size rattle trap can flat out jig up some pike!  glue a chunk of rag on its back to hold some "yum" scent too.  ;)  jig it like your trying to break the line then pound and stir up bottom silt with it.  then i shake it 4 ' off bottom gently till i start over or move.  it shouldnt take long if one is close.  the rattle calls them from a long way off and the scent gets them to commit.  we can use three lines here.  i set 2 flags out then jig the trap around them with a rod.  get funny looks when im in a group.  everyone around you can hear that rattle trap down there. lmao  they all become believers when the snot rockets start coming out the holes though!  some mondo bass have also been caught on my trap.  especially in shad lakes.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2021, 09:22 AM »
i always use a swivel to connect main line to leader.  you can use what you want but pike arent line shy a bit.  if there is a bait they want its getting chompped!  most fish are like that really.  like mentioned though heavy line wont let some lures work like they need to.  also too light of line and or rod wont let you set the hooks good enough!  too flimsy a setup and you cant drive the bigger hooks home into bony mouths of gators.  short fight and "aw he's off" scenario. lol 

also use bigger baits than you mite think.  "suspenda strips" put just so on a full size rattle trap can flat out jig up some pike!  glue a chunk of rag on its back to hold some "yum" scent too.  ;)  jig it like your trying to break the line then pound and stir up bottom silt with it.  then i shake it 4 ' off bottom gently till i start over or move.  it shouldnt take long if one is close.  the rattle calls them from a long way off and the scent gets them to commit.  we can use three lines here.  i set 2 flags out then jig the trap around them with a rod.  get funny looks when im in a group.  everyone around you can hear that rattle trap down there. lmao  they all become believers when the snot rockets start coming out the holes though!  some mondo bass have also been caught on my trap.  especially in shad lakes.
Set up 5 tip ups for my self then jig in between and my buddy uses his own
Will the jigging aggressively spook perch and the main place i ice fish is 4’

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2021, 06:15 AM »
your only fishing 4 foot deep water?  probably dont need to be as aggressive in the shallows. and rattles attract perch most days.  jiggin pike in 4fow i would use a big tasty/smelly plastic on a rattling jig head.  id assume they in scavenge mode that shallow.  big heavy weight to keep a small( anal fin hooked) gill/perch semi-pinned to bottom kicking around is deadly.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 19, 2021, 04:24 AM »
your only fishing 4 foot deep water?  probably dont need to be as aggressive in the shallows. and rattles attract perch most days.  jiggin pike in 4fow i would use a big tasty/smelly plastic on a rattling jig head.  id assume they in scavenge mode that shallow.  big heavy weight to keep a small( anal fin hooked) gill/perch semi-pinned to bottom kicking around is deadly.
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.