Author Topic: Ice Fishing ATV Advice  (Read 1565 times)

Offline jlesh8480

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing ATV Advice
« on: Oct 01, 2021, 10:57 AM »
Hi,

Wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a good ATV to use for ice fishing. Do I need fuel injection? Brands to stay away from... Engine size? Certain years better?
I have never had a 4x4 ATV so I don't know much about them. Looking to buy a used unit as I will only use it for ice fishing.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing ATV Advice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2021, 11:19 AM »
I have been thinking the same thing, but only due to my age, physical capabilities and wanting to get out further on lakes. Thinking of needing only a 250. A buddy said 400, but he goes to extremes sometimes.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2021, 12:00 PM »
as far as size goes, I would recommend a 400 or bigger. I have had 1 that was not fuel injected and 1 that is fuel injected. To be honest I think have a good strong battery is more important just due to the machine being in the cold all day or night. When it is very cold (stays below 0F all day), I would also recommend starting the machine every hour or 2 and letting it run a bit.

Brand seems to be personal preference although it does seem like I hear more negative things about Polaris ATVs that other brands, but I wonder if that is because they have a larger share of the market?

Another nice feature is a machine with locking front differential for when the snow gets deeper and you are pulling something out with you

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2021, 12:38 PM »
My advice is worth what it costs. Nothing.

I love my Honda fourtrax TRX300FW for ice fishing. Here are the bulletpoints.

Full time 4 wheel drive.

This 4x4 has a transfer case between the differentials.

Solid rear axel for towing. Although Independent suspension gives a plush ride and more ground clearance. If there’s that much snow I’ll switch to a snowmobile.

This model atv has a Kickstarter with a decompression lever if your battery or electric start fails.

TRX300FW has a choke on the handlebars along with a primer at the carburetor. I have never had any problem starting this atv at any temperature.

Air cooled. Simpler motor mechanics.

First gear is granny gear or super low.

The Honda has a transmission. No belts or electronic shifting to fail. Yeah I have to shift with my foot. Big deal. I bought it to work hard.

Honda reliability. Mines a 1995. I like it.

What it does lack is fun factor. Trail riding is a bore. Shifting stinks on all day rides.  Top speed guess is about 40.
I’d buy a Different model if work wasn’t the primary use.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2021, 03:47 PM »
Does the area you live/fish in get a lot of snow?  Do the lake/lakes you fish get a lot of cracks that separate more that a foot due to wind?  These are factors you should consider before buying a 4x4.  If the answer to them is yes, then I'd consider a snowmobile.  If not, a 4x4 will do.  I don't think size matters much if you are going solo and pulling a normal load.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2021, 06:51 PM »
ice never separates in my area. I've never been on the ice with more than 10"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2021, 07:23 AM »

Jleash if you put a location in it would help ,
 As where I live we average 143 inches of snow a year
 And pressure cracks , things to consider
 Far as size you don’t need to fly , I have a 2004 cat TRV , slow and dependable and chained up but seldom goes

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 02, 2021, 09:20 AM »

I have two 2003 Yamaha 4x4 kodiak 450's. Great machines no real problems I couldn't fix.
Parts are not a problem getting and that is something to look into when buying anything now a days.
I use these for long trail rides,ice fishing, plowing my dirt driveway and plowing out hockey rinks.
If you are looking at just short travels on the ice with minimal snow on it them your options are almost any size.
But if your looking at riding trails light to moderate plowing and heavy towing to your ice fishing destination then I really wouldn't go lower than a 400.Just my 2cents . good luck!

smitty :tipup:

Offline jlesh8480

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 02, 2021, 09:25 AM »
I typically fish west central Minnesota.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 02, 2021, 11:00 AM »
There is such a range of conditions and machines you should decide that first. If you are on hard ice, anything is OK, even 2 wheel drive. Chains or studs in the tires are more than enough for glare ice.

If you want to go through anything, 4 wheel drive and tracks are required, which requires a big machine and big expense. If you are going out in the slush and deep snow, you should be physically capable of un-sticking whatever you buy. A 500 LB stuck, tracked machine is a chore.

Main thing with cold temps is like was said before, a good battery, and a well tuned machine. I always use non- ethanol fuel and Seafoam, and make sure my stuff starts effortlessly at home before I take it out. With anything used, it is as good as you maintain it. Most of it never wears out, it suffers more from age/rot of rubber parts and dirty/old/water fuel.

I have not tried all brands, but the Hondas and Yamahas seem to be well engineered, and last a long time. My Yamaha is 20+ years old, and still works fine. I use it mainly summers for field work, but if the ice is hard, I have taken it fishing. Most times we have snow/slush, so I have had snowmobiles the last 6 years- the first ones were older than the ATV, only a few hundred bucks, but they were reliable once I had them a few years and learned how to store them properly. You should also consider a snow-dog for a first vehicle. Most people that have them are pretty happy, and they are the simplest to operate, store , and run. They are slower, and most people stand up behind them, so best if you are not running 5 miles out on the lake.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2021, 01:09 PM »
How much do you want to spend? That is the real question...

1k or less - search south of you in Iowa for a good used 340/440 fan cooled snowmobile, you'll find several to choose from
1k-8k - just find something that runs and was well taken care of
8k-new, you're better off getting a base model side by side and adding on a cab, windshield, heat, etc. later

Catchin' Fish

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #11 on: Oct 05, 2021, 06:05 PM »
If someone offered me a ride with a Polaris or Arctic Cat (Textron) or Canned Ham, I'd take a Taxi.

Offline Goose97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2021, 09:58 PM »
Just my two cents, you can’t go wrong with a Honda foreman. I’ve had two,and they are the toughest wheelers that I’ve owned. I specifically got my 2019 500 with a straight axle for towing shanties, and foot shift without power steering so there was less to possibly go wrong. The front axle diff lock is handy hauling shanties as well. We’ve been awful mean to it,from on the ice to herding cows.I’d stay away from the earlier electric shift models. That being said, my rhino 700 with tracks is now my ice fishing buggy of choice.

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishin or Trail Ridin!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2021, 08:06 AM »
Honda ATVs are nice and reliable,  especially their shaft driven differentials. But.... they are way underpowered for the price.  Then again,  the whole market is upside-down right now.

Personally I always ran an older carb'd cat 500, and it did good most of the time,  initial startup was rough around -20°F or lower.  Even clutched with Executioners it struggled in deep snow or slush.

I'm upgrading this year to a new tracked Sportsman.  Waiting on the bike to arrive but already got the tracks for it.  Personally I'd rather have too much power than not enough. 

I will say if you like side by sides nothing beats a tracked SxS. My brother has a Ranger he refers to as his "Ice Yacht" and that thing is unstoppable. 

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2021, 12:09 PM »
I have a Honda Rancher, love it. Although if its really cold out and I have an open trailer, that damn thing is cold blooded and doesnt want to turn over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.