Author Topic: cold weather.. getting the itch  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
cold weather.. getting the itch
« on: Oct 01, 2021, 08:40 AM »
39 degrees when I woke this morning just got my new k drill delivered yesterday guns are cleaned and sighted in just need to work on some ice gear other than that I think this has been the best year I've been ready for hunting and fishing. 30 more days till muzzle then before we know it we will be walking on water. I love this time of year wouldn't trade it for the world my wife thinks I'm crazy she'd rather be in St Thomas.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: cold weather.. getting the itch
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2021, 09:43 AM »
I am right there with you lv2hunt, muzzleloaders are ready, new strikemaster already delivered and battery charged..lol..  As much as I love to hunt and ice fish I hate to see trolling season go, I retired on March 1st this year and have fished about 5 days a week, Its not quite over but its getting close. Good luck this upcoming season.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2021, 07:00 PM »
I'm still waiting for the portables to be in stock again so I can replace my 70 pounder. I hear the Christmas decorations are out at Walmart, so it should be soon!

This is about the time of year that I start to drive my friends crazy by being able to slide talk of ice fishing into any conversation lol.

At least you hunters have something to keep you going until then. Good luck and safekeeping to you all out there.

Congrats on retirement!It sounds like you're doing it right. :)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2021, 08:32 AM »
After the summer of wind and rain I'm ready for a reset into the next season. Went through the wheeler last weekend and got it ready for the ice, mounted an Otter box on the front racks between the snorks as well as a mount for my bait bucket, and finally put on a new set of heated grips. The sleds are ready if we get dumped on with snow but I really prefer the wheeler for fishing. I'm not much of a hunter so this is the time of year that I get stuff done around the house while waiting for the water to lock up.

Guniea, you should get yourself on the call list or notification list at the places you're looking to buy the portable. It's kinda looking like that type of stuff is going to sell out fast this year because of limited production numbers with most manufactures.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2021, 10:59 AM »

Guniea, you should get yourself on the call list or notification list at the places you're looking to buy the portable. It's kinda looking like that type of stuff is going to sell out fast this year because of limited production numbers with most manufactures.

Totally agree with you there …. I’ve ran into product shortages all summer… you can also try buying thru the manufacturer as well rather than waiting for the stores to receive them

Hope everyone had a good summer, hunting season is at the doorstep after that ICE …
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2021, 11:25 AM »

X2

Check with Franks great Outdoors , Scheels amd SpprtsmansGuide ..they seem to be updating inventory daily ..Franks looks to be doing alot of instore/walk ins deals now ..also Franks Shanty days should be approaching soon is probably a good bet in order to reserve a shelter . Getting the itch with the chilly weather ..not much on my must/got to get list ..got some deals and steals via Amazon for some items over the summer ... relining some rod/reels is pretty much all that is left.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2021, 04:57 PM »
I'm still waiting for the portables to be in stock again so I can replace my 70 pounder. I hear the Christmas decorations are out at Walmart, so it should be soon!

This is about the time of year that I start to drive my friends crazy by being able to slide talk of ice fishing into any conversation lol.

At least you hunters have something to keep you going until then. Good luck and safekeeping to you all out there.

Congrats on retirement!It sounds like you're doing it right. :)

Guinea, you have a PM

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2021, 09:09 PM »
You guys are right, supply and demand in all industries has become very skewed! I hadn't even considered that. Thank you for that, and the name drops. I will definitely be more proactive.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2021, 11:45 AM »
Yup, supply lines are tough.. I've got 2 Ford Transits sitting at the shop, one since July the other June. Both waiting on airbag parts that are on a never ending back order. Every time the deliver date approaches Autofair calls to say it's been pushed another month. Stuff that's usually on shelves at local stores are now a few days out. Getting frustrating trying to explain the situation to customers...
I've been waiting for Fuel system parts on for my Mercury outboard all summer, they'll probably show a couple days after ice in... Way back in February I ordered a new Camaro, a few weeks later Chevy paused production of Corvettes and Camaros due to the chip shortage... 6 months later it was finally delivered a few days before labor day, so much for a summer toy... Strange times we're in...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2021, 12:20 PM »
I also think most items will hold MSRP ...and like last season very little end of season clearance items. I thought there would be a lot of after season deals from individuals who purchased ice fishing items and gave up the sport ..particularly hub shelters as restaurants bought a portion of last season inventory ...may be they were sold to the patrons who ice fish .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2021, 09:02 AM »
most electric or drill augers were sold out all last season and still say on backorder now, and I'm sure there wont be many deals going on like usual. The k-drill i just picked up brand new on flea-bay was the best deal I've seen 8.5 inch new in box 249 local place by me got them in march last year and sold them for 329 gone in a couple of days. Good luck out there stock up!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2021, 03:52 PM »
You guys working on your beards?

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 08, 2021, 05:02 PM »

Haha, stopped trimming a few weeks ago... Time to let the winter coat come in.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2021, 06:25 PM »

I would, but don't want to wear the beard net at work.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2021, 08:29 PM »
High 70’s next week! We’re going backwards! Usually have a few frosts by this time of year…grass is still dewy every morning. They must have had frost up in the burg by now…

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2021, 07:12 PM »

I was gonna, but the ol' man hates it when it gets tangled in his like velcro.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2021, 07:39 PM »
I was gonna, but the ol' man hates it when it gets tangled in his like velcro.

Lmao funny girl!  ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2021, 09:27 PM »
Haha, stopped trimming a few weeks ago... Time to let the winter coat come in.
Absolutely
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2021, 09:30 PM »
High 70’s next week! We’re going backwards! Usually have a few frosts by this time of year…grass is still dewy every morning. They must have had frost up in the burg by now…
Nope not yet. Surprisingly.
I was just up there for a week hunting. Way too warm. And the ol timer I talked to said no frost yet this fall so far.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 11, 2021, 08:53 AM »
Nope not yet. Surprisingly.
I was just up there for a week hunting. Way too warm. And the ol timer I talked to said no frost yet this fall so far.
This week will be HOT by October standards…not even going to bother with hunting until we see a mini-frost at least. Hopefully, soon. I suggest you guys shave those starter, whiskers and a wait as well! 😂

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2021, 09:19 AM »
It's that time of year again.. ;D... the boats asleep ( my dock rental expires 10/15 and the fishing sucks anyways)and I'm thinking deer and ice..
this was a crazy summer, May and June were phenomenal  on the river, big fish were plentiful and hungry... 4th of July it all went to stinker, the non stop rain ruined the fishing in the river for the summer... the seemingly endless swells from offshore storms severely limited my ability to fish the beach and ocean side rock piles... brackish water filled the bay and killed the lobster fishing as well.. I only landed 26 keepers as apposed to over 300 last season.. and I had 6 pots "disappear" to boot.. ..... but through it all I still managed 221 stripers over 40".. and countless "little guys".. 10/2 I fished a small fish blitz with my 9 wt. and had a blast, the carnage went on for the entire rising tide, when they got out of casting range I teased them back in with a hook less pencil popper...
I got my last large fish 10/4.. I got 3 over 40" on live eels, all were release boat side with out removing them from the water... 10/6 and 10/7 were a totally different story.. it was like fishing in a bath tub.. eerily quiet, only the occasional splash from a leaping sturgeon to keep me awake, even the small bait was gone, I spent 9 hours  that last night before admitting it was over..there will more fish, I'm sure, but I wont be there to molest them..
Mid August out stand up game and garden freezer S.T.B....it was half full of garden veggies, fish and venison, the local appliance store said they couldn't deliver a new one until 10/1!.. everyone I called said they had no room for the "goods" so I did the only logical thing... I donated it to the local soup kitchen..
10/1 my freezer was delivered, so I have a pretty big chore this fall and winter to fill it up..says the little guy with the mile wide grin!

Any of you recognize this character

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 12, 2021, 11:39 AM »
Way to go Joe... You get thrown a curve ball and you turn it into something good for your neighborhood. Good luck filling up that new freezer, I'm sure it won't take you long.

I'm not sure I'd let that dude on my boat... Looks a little shady to me...

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 12, 2021, 02:36 PM »
Nice write up Joe good to hear from ya..Good luck filling that new freezer hope to hear from you alot more once the hardwater is here..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 12, 2021, 04:11 PM »
Nice write up Joe good to hear from ya..Good luck filling that new freezer hope to hear from you alot more once the hardwater is here..
Thanks, I'll be around  now, no where else to go.. season was messed up enough that I only got to take Ray and Wane out, Ray hit it right, poor Wane caught the brunt of my rain soaked foul mood, it even rained the night I took him out.. the only thing we caught was Pepe le pue.. I never got the chance to get him on good fishing... there's always next year as long as im.upright!looking foreword to the ice and maybe fishing to with a few more members.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2021, 04:25 PM »
Nice write up Joe. Still sounds like a busy and fun summer to me. I was working out of town and so busy this summer I never got a chance to meet up with you and Frank over in Nbpt like we talked about. I myself only got out striper fishing twice :'( But my summers have been like that lately. It's all good, time is plentiful during ice season.
Good luck filling the freezer this fall. I got one in already, just need a few more.
Can't wait to hookup with y'all this winter.
Cmon cold!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 12, 2021, 04:26 PM »

I'm not sure I'd let that dude on my boat... Looks a little shady to me...
Definitely a sketchy character. Hope he left you a good tip  ;D

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2021, 04:47 PM »
Definitely a sketchy character. Hope he left you a good tip  ;D
[/quote
The smile. is the best tip of all.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2021, 06:41 PM »
Nice write up Joe. Still sounds like a busy and fun summer to me. I was working out of town and so busy this summer I never got a chance to meet up with you and Frank over in Nbpt like we talked about. I myself only got out striper fishing twice :'( But my summers have been like that lately. It's all good, time is plentiful during ice season.
Good luck filling the freezer this fall. I got one in already, just need a few more.
Can't wait to hookup with y'all this winter.
Cmon cold!
There's always next year..
Here's a few shots of the better days.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 12, 2021, 08:09 PM »
Well... here's one tip... Pull your hat down tight before Roc jumps on the throttle lol. The ole war wagon jumps outta the hole and hops on plane a lot quicker than expected...

We definitely need to meet up more than once a winter Jason, I'm planning on venturing out of the SW corner of the state and spending more time around the lakes region this year...

Some great pics Joe... I see you even got your bride out on the boat, well done.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2021, 05:05 PM »
There's always next year..
Here's a few shots of the better days.

Congratulations on your best “trophy” of the season! (And she’s wearing her “linesides” shirt as well!) 😄

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.