Author Topic: Help on deciding between some Jackets/Bib brands!  (Read 1622 times)

Offline marmbru

• IceShanty Rookie
Help on deciding between some Jackets/Bib brands!
« on: Sep 27, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Hi Everyone, first post here so apologies if I miss any rules.

I've been going ice fishing for the past few years now and want to finally buy some gear that will actually keep me warm / floating this winter. I've been doing some online research, but there seems to be a lot of options and would appreciate any feedback you may have.

1) Striker - heard these guys are the name brand in the industry with a higher price tag to show for it. Is the premium quality worth it? Has anyone bought more than 1 of these or does 1 last you for years and years? I've also seen their new raingear - that's a side topic but wonder if you guys like that too. Striker is my top choice so would love to hear some pro's and con's of this one.
2) Clam - I've seen clam shelters, traps and nets - but looks like they have a jacket / bib as well. Any thoughts?
3) Carhartt - tried and true brand but is it actually worth the money / is their gear as good as Striker or Clams?
4) Rapala's StrikeMaster brand - Don't know as much about this jacket/suit - seems to be a cheaper option. But is it quality?
5) FXR Pro Series - the expedition ice pro suit looks cool. Interested to know if it's functional
6) Simms - ice fishing seems like an afterthought for the brand so a bit hesitant to choose them. Curious to know if that's an oversight.
7) Windrider - just another name I heard. Looks to have good reviews
8) Any others?

Thanks in advance!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Help on deciding between some Jackets/Bib brands!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2021, 09:12 PM »
Whichever you chose get a set that floats ..next is insulation on average 100 g of insulation is plenty . If price is an issue get the pair of bibs first ...as you will always wear the bibs . Most folks wear the bibs a nice hoodie and a vest and are set most of the season. Use the SEARCH function for the specific brands your interested in ...tons of information and past reviews

You should add your location to your Profile>>>Forum Profile... add your county and state ..helps with your area weather conditions that you may experience ...locations of retailers ...bait shops ...Oh and WELCOME ABOARD .. audience participation is encouraged .

Home  Forum Help Search Profile My Messages Members Logout
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2021, 03:55 AM »

Look at Artic Armor, I got a set 10 years ago and I am still wearing it. The mistake I made the first time using it was to were long johns underneath
          my clothes. I sweated my butt off on the trip across the ice. Since then I've never warn any. It floats as well, I tried it out in my sons pool.

IW

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2021, 05:24 AM »
I have 3 striker suits and would not pay the high price for them.the stitching and thread used to sew them together sucks.alot of guys have luck with them but i have not.jmo i got a ice runner brand suit on super sale and for the price its a solid suit.not as warm as the striker hardwater but that suit is to warm for me.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2021, 09:14 AM »
I have a striker suit that I gave to the daughter since i bought the Windrider suit, both are excellent suits just like the Windrider price for the whole suit.

The wife I has a Striker suit that she loves so both are good suits.

If you have any questions just let me know and I will answer the best I can.  Thanks

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2021, 09:21 AM »
I am not sure what you are aiming for- you list both floating and not floating options, but for me it is also important to have the padded seat and knees of pair of ice fishing bibs. I have had a frabill, striker, and no name suit. The no name was not floating, and was made of thinner material. It faded and was not as warm as the others, but it was light and flexible- better for running after flags. The Frabill floated, but is was very stiff and restrictive- be sure to try on whatever you consider and make sure there is enough room with the stuff you wear underneath, and that you can move comfortably. The striker I use now is the Predator, and for me it is plenty warm. I sit outside, and only occasionally wear a down vest under. I believe the floating insulation is pretty effective, so be aware and don't buy too much suit for how you fish. It is stiff and heavier than I would like, but I suppose part of that could be me. ;). The Striker has nice magnetic closures on the wind flaps, and the full leg zips make changing at the car much easier. If I was still walking 45 minutes each way, I would for sure prefer my old no name suit, and would wear one of those suspender inflating life vests if I was worried about the ice.

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2021, 09:51 AM »
I love my Simms bibs!!

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2021, 11:03 AM »
I'll throw Norfin into your mix. They really stepped up their suit line the last few years and I see they are coming out with some new ones for this season. I like the white camo they have this year and will likely be getting that one personally. https://norfinusa.com/collections/clothing

IMO, ice suits have come so far in the last several years that none of the brands are bad, just depends on what features or style you are looking for.
Da Pack!

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2021, 11:31 AM »
I have a striker suit that I gave to the daughter since i bought the Windrider suit, both are excellent suits just like the Windrider price for the whole suit.

The wife I has a Striker suit that she loves so both are good suits.

If you have any questions just let me know and I will answer the best I can.  Thanks

Windrider is a site sponsor ..sign up to receive a 10% discount .

https://www.windrider.com/?_kx=GCeYpwmJSuXSCKBP90kE2IXRL5f6G10VtPwARDdFARs%3D.Xgxu5W
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2021, 06:39 AM »
There was a time in which Striker was SO far ahead of everyone else, that the discussion was over before it even started.  Other companies seen their success and have since closed the gap quite a bit.  Many good options available now.   

I've had 3 or 4 different Striker suits dating back to their prototype release back in like 2010 and now, just about everything I wear out on the water and ice is Striker.   Hoodies, Tees, Rainsuit, Gloves, etc  I have yet to find anything that lacks in quality or makes me regret my purchase, so I continue to use them.

The biggest thing I would recommend is to analyze how you mostly fish and then match the suit for it.  If you are driving a truck out to a permanent, the Climate or Hardwater will be overkill for you.   But if you spend a lot of time outside in the bitter cold, the Climate is an awesome choice.    Currently I have the Climate suit and its probably more than I need. But with the liners removed, it works out pretty well. 

The new Apex suit also looks interesting, but also comes with a big price tag.

Is the premium price "worth" it?   I've always been a believer that sometimes paying more is paying less but clothes and garments are an interesting segment and since essentially everything is made in China, it comes down to quality control and in my opinion, Striker has been good on that side of it.   

My experience has been positive and I recommend Striker whenever I can.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2021, 07:49 AM »

IMO, ice suits have come so far in the last several years that none of the brands are bad, just depends on what features or style you are looking for.

I'd agree with this, and I think you can add Eskimo and Strikemaster to your list of suit brands as well. I wouldn't call Striker a premium quality suit if you are comparing to the others, they are all equally nice, well made, and high quality. I wear an Ice Armor suit now (Clam) but honestly, only because I got such a good deal on it. It has a few things I like better as compared to the Striker suit it replaced, and a few things I liked better on the Striker.

Most important thing is getting one that fits well, and is properly insulated for your area and how you fish. It's very easy to buy "too much" suit, and sweating and being over heated out on the ice is no fun.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2021, 08:53 AM »
 I can’t say much about other suits , I own 2 striker suits a climate and a guardian
  My climate is from either 2010 or 2011
  It is to warm most times but has held up extremely well plus you can take the liners out 
 I found the guardian actually works better for my style of fishing as I fish in a flip until last ice , although I have fished to -9* and been comfortable,
  The trekker has replaced this suit as it has a heavier fabric , from 300:600denier if memory serves
   Shop around and get what fits your fishing style and wallet also to choose 1 it would also be bibs

Offline marmbru

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:01 AM »
Thanks all. This is all great feedback -going to check out Arctic Armor and Norfin in the mix as well. Appreciate the help, first big time ice fishing purchase so wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:05 AM »
Thanks all. This is all great feedback -going to check out Arctic Armor and Norfin in the mix as well. Appreciate the help, first big time ice fishing purchase so wanted to get everyone's opinion.

Should add your location to your profile ..may be a retailer near by so you can get a handle/tire kick for sizing..also you dont want to by too much suit ..meaning to much insulation .

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2021, 09:07 AM »
Another thing to consider is stock.  You might not be able to buy what you want.  Things are going to be hard to find this year...

Offline WindRiderGear

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2021, 11:17 AM »
Another thing to consider is stock.  You might not be able to buy what you want.  Things are going to be hard to find this year...

That is absolutely true. What used to take 4 weeks or so to get here is now almost 12. Also because of the increase cost of freight (a 40ft container is now about 25k up from about 7), I would expect that prices will be increasing too.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 29, 2021, 10:31 PM »
I’ve had a striker predator suit since 2014 and I have no problems with it. Never come close to getting cold in it. I can’t speak for the newer suits but I really like mine, at the time striker was the only float suit in the game.

Offline ToMang07

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishin or Trail Ridin!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2021, 07:06 AM »
Both my brothers run Strykers and I run Eskimo, I believe they are made in the same factory,  none of us have any complaints,  they work great.  Very happy with mine. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.