Author Topic: Yellow line  (Read 1977 times)

Offline bassin140

• IceShanty Rookie
Yellow line
« on: Mar 02, 2022, 08:59 PM »
Few questions on yellow line.....I use yellow braid while bass fishing for one reason and that’s to see it. However I have to tie a flouro leader to it so it can’t be seen. When ice fishing I see a lot of guys on upl and naifc using yellow line for site bites. I often lose site of my 3lb line especially when outside and it blends in with snow. Would like to switch over but have the following questions
1. How do fish not see it? Most water I fish has 2-4 feet of visibility
2. Do you have to tie a leader like I do in bass fishing?
3. Which yellow line is best?

Offline fishinjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What doesnt kill a man makes him stronger
Re: Yellow line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2022, 05:10 AM »
I dont use yellow line for ice fishing.. However I do use yellow braid on open water on my trolling rods!!!! I always have a leader of fluoro tied, the last 10ft is fluro...
On my ice rods I use dark green braid.. which I also tie a fluoro leader to it.. I use appx 3 ft of fluoro for my ice rods..
I use power pro and suffix 832... both brands are good choices imo..
Good luck

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2022, 05:48 AM »
I know a few guys that use colored line only and do alright with it. Me? I use yellow but also a 2' leader of clear just for my own piece of mind. Yes, many "professionals" use colored line only as well. One fella from the U.S. Ice Team uses 5# orange with no clear leader for pannies. He won the world championship a couple of years ago. It's all about what you're comfortable using.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2022, 07:06 AM »
Also a fan of the orange, Suffix 3 or 4lb test, no clear leader, easy to see for light hits.

Offline MC_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2022, 07:45 AM »
I run yellow or orange main line, a spro micro swivel, and then a clear fluoro leader.  Easy to swap out 2, 3, 4 lb test depending on what I'm doing

best of both worlds IMO

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Most fish don't care about a line nor a hook.  Sometimes they want to bite that hook more so than anything else, or that lead bb. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:42 AM »
Agree with slipperybob: I fish a lot with a camera. I have one pole with neon green ice suffix line. It's a lot easier for me to see, and the fish don't care. Along with the line the camera and cable are hanging down there, too. Side by side the fluro line and the green line are equal in catching fish. I caught a limit of perch a few days ago in 19' of water on the green line. Only pole i used hole hopping.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2022, 09:02 AM »
For whatever it's worth, I've been using 3 lb Sufix Ice Magic in tangerine this year on one of my combos and that's been the one I've caught the most fish with.

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2022, 09:51 AM »
Personally, i use a flouro leader on everything, green line....3 feet of leader, blue ice line....3 feet of leader, yellow braid...guess what....3 feet of leader. leader size for me depends on target species. idk if it helps but like allot of people have said its personal preference.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline dearjimschmidt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2022, 10:07 AM »
Also a fan of the orange, Suffix 3 or 4lb test, no clear leader, easy to see for light hits.
second this
River City Baits - Fort Wayne Indiana

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2022, 03:31 PM »
I use the Asso 3 lb line and have been doing fine without a leader.

Offline krott243

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2022, 04:01 PM »
I was hesitant as well but rigged up a few tightline sight rig rods, one with 4lb high vis orange siglon and one with 2lb high viz gamma and see no difference in fishing it straight to the jig vs clear mono or fluoro. Actually my fish catch rate has gone up with the light bite detection of tightlining, Bites that you barely would see on the best spring bobber or flat tipped rods on the market.

Offline TEA56

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:31 AM »
  Also used 3lb.Sufix Ice Magic orange this year; fish don't seem to mind the color.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:37 AM »
Don't eat the yellow line
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2022, 09:21 AM »
Stay in your lane, do not cross the yellow line.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:52 AM »
Few questions on yellow line.....I use yellow braid while bass fishing for one reason and that’s to see it. However I have to tie a flouro leader to it so it can’t be seen. When ice fishing I see a lot of guys on upl and naifc using yellow line for site bites. I often lose site of my 3lb line especially when outside and it blends in with snow. Would like to switch over but have the following questions
1. How do fish not see it? Most water I fish has 2-4 feet of visibility
2. Do you have to tie a leader like I do in bass fishing?
3. Which yellow line is best?

1 fish see line.  im pretty sure all line too.  im also sure they dont reason that its "fishing line".  most likely they assume its a strand of weed or something.

2 evidently not but i do anyways.  thats more for me though, i think.

3 stren has been good line for me.

people give way more credit to fish Inteligents than they disserve.

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 05, 2022, 08:39 AM »
"people give way more credit to fish Inteligents than they disserve."

And vice-versa!  ;D
Just kidding

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 05, 2022, 09:40 AM »
Well, tested it out yesterday. A fish swallowed me hook so had to break it off. Not much clear leader left on it so I broke it off and tied a new jig direct to hi-vis green. Didn't seem to bother the fish any. Caught as many with the green as the clear. Both were Berkley 3# Micro Ice.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2022, 12:57 PM »
I use yellow Berkley Micro Ice mono for my dead stick, direct tied, no leader.  It works fine.  I still catch fish.  Just like when I used yellow Stren when I was a kid bass fishing.  I do use a fluoro leader with braid on my jigging rods.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 07, 2022, 01:02 PM »
The old High Vis Yellow Stren has caught 100,000's of thousands of fish. Don't think they make it anymore???

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2022, 08:14 AM »
i almost exclusively use high-vis line on my jigging rods, and the only time i tie a leader is when i'm using braid. my water is also quite clear, usually 5-8 feet of visibility, and some lakes are even clearer.

i figure it's not whether or not fish can see it, it's whether or not they care. the only time i've seen brightly colored line make a difference is on lakes with ridiculous amounts of fishing pressure. otherwise, it's never been an issue. that said, if you're really nervous about it, tie on a 2 foot leader. it's not all that difficult, and it'll boost your confidence.

another thing is; if you're losing sight of your line in the snow, there's other high-vis colors of line you can use. you don't have to use yellow. y dad swears by red, and a buddy of mine uses a bright blue line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.