Author Topic: Smitty sled for my eskimo quickfish 2  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Jona

• IceShanty Rookie
Smitty sled for my eskimo quickfish 2
« on: Feb 20, 2021, 01:32 PM »
If this is too long, skip to the pics.

I just started ice fishing this season. It all started when I found a killer deal on a guys entire setup; 7 rods, 5 tip-ups, a slee of tackle, shelter, buckets, a chair, new hand auger, sled, even minnow traps. Little did my wife realize this was just the starter kit. I went on to get a deeper chirp +, and a buddy heater.

I went out several times and loved it. But I dreaded hauling that heavy sled out and hand augering and wrestling with the shelter.  Those 3 things needed to be addressed. So I bought a new 1/2" cordless drill and an adapter for the auger. Then as I was lurking here I came across the smitty sled. Wow, I know tons of folks that have old skis. I started planning one for my sled, but then inspiration struck. If I can make a little one, I can make a bigger one!

My shelter is tiny, 5' x 5' base, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad to haul it. Turns might be a bit more difficult, but if it's easier to pull for that half mile trudge across the lake, it'd be worth it. And while I was dreaming, let's add a solar heating panel.

Well, here it is, all rigged and ready to go. Only weighs about 100lbs. Heater works great, too.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Smitty sled for my eskimo quickfish 2
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Well that's a first for me.  Never saw a Smitty set up like that let alone a solar heater.  Let us know how your first trip goes with it.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline JOBBER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2021, 10:01 AM »
I noticed in your last photo the black "liner" is coming off the walls.
For what it's worth, I'm not sure how important this is in an ice shelter.
My "vintage" deer blind was having the same issue, and letting in too much light.
I found this. It has high fumes and over spray. Wear a mask and goggles.
I do mine in warm weather, [1] wall at a time and opening doors/windows.
Then turn sideways, and let it air out before continuing.

https://www.gardnerbender.com/en/p/LTS-400/Spray-Liquid-Tape-Black

Offline Jona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Hi Jobber, I don't know how old the shelter is, but thanks for the tips. I did have to repair one of the rod pockets when I got it.

The first couple trips on the ice are complete, and it pulls better than the old polar sled. And if my back is to the wind it gets really easy.

I'm not terribly impressed with my auger, I used a 1.3ah battery to drill 1.5 holes in 2 feet of ice. And it kept kicking the kill switch in the drill. (My first new drill in about 20 years, I had no idea this sort of thing existed. Some sort of torque wrist saving function I'm sure.) Might need to look for a proper drill auger.

Was too cloudy to test the solar heater but it was working fine when I took the pics.

I like the floor, when I drop something I can find it. And it feels like I have more room. I also like that I can just hop out and move to a new spot without packing everything up.

Offline SmilingBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2021, 03:22 PM »
Jona,

Welcome to the forum.

That mobile base is way too cool! I am currently contemplating making something like that for my ice shelter. I like the ability to move to a new area without having to break everything down. A solar heater is even cooler!

Got some questions for you:
1. Did you insulate the base?
2. Does the base fold over for transport?
3. How does the solar heater work and did you make it yourself?
4. Would it be possible to get some more pics, dimensions, and construction details n such?

SmilingBob

Offline Jona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Hi SmilingBob,

1- I didn't insulate the base, yet. I Plan to for next season, as well as cutting a spearing hole and an extra hole.
2- I didn't make this foldable, I built everything on-site. I'll just tip it up in the garage for the summer. But I'm hoping to get an Eskimo 949i (probably a year or 2 out) which I'll make a folding platform for.
3- The solar heater works really well. I bought an 8' x 26" polycarbonate roofing panel, but used only 4' of it. I calculated the required BTUHs at about 1400, and the panel estimate is about 184 BTUHs / SF. Making a 2'x4' panel perfect. The frame is 1x4 with a 3/8" plywood back. I used 1" rigid insulation as a liner, and 2 layers of black window screen. I cut a 2"x3.5" hole in the bottom right corner for a return/inlet duct, and 3" outlet at the top left. A short piece of 3" duct, pounded into a rectangle works to sneak it under the edge of the fish house. I used two 3" elbows to bring it right through the window. Wrap both in some 3"wide pipe insulation. I made an 8"x12" window replacement with a hole. Add a small PC fan running on 5 or 12v depending on how many CFM you want to pull through. I found 5v seems to work well for me.
4- Yes I have plans. Hopefully the image will come through. and still be legible.

I would probably turn the 2x4s on edge. The floor is sturdy, but a bit bouncy. I thought I could get away with spanning 5'-6".

Offline Jona

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2021, 04:22 PM »
If anyone is interested, I found some formulas for calculating BTUHs for a camping tent (vs a party tent) that is pretty simple; Volume of tent x Temp difference x 0.133.
The other calculation I found was BTUHs for this type of panel; 184 BTUH/SF

My calculations:
150 CF x (70 deg - 0 deg) x 0.133 = 1,396.5 BTUH needed
(26" x 48")/144" = 8.66 SF x 184 = 1,593.44 BTUH supplied

I may have to open a window, but at least I'll be warm during the day.

I found the tent calculation here: https://familycamptents.com/what-is-btu-for-a-winter-camping-tent-heater/
and the Solar panel info here: https://www.builditsolar.com/Experimental/PopCanVsScreen/PopCanVsScreen.htm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.