Author Topic: Let's talk bubblers/aerators for bait storage.  (Read 6358 times)

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Let's talk bubblers/aerators for bait storage.
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2021, 07:30 PM »
Kedsum

Amazon shows the single outlet pump as no longer available now.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 25, 2021, 10:27 PM »
All I can say is the pump with the Engel was an absolute POS.

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2021, 05:55 AM »
I have two Engel bait coolers.  The original shipped with a defective pump.  They replaced it under warranty.  4 years later, it's loud but still runs.  I've recently taken the diaphragm out to rebuild another.

In the middle of a hot smelt bite, I put the cooler too close to the Buddy Heater.  The front melted and the lid warped.  I use that cooler for storage now.

The second cooler ran fine for 3 years.  That aerator is quieter than the original but still loud.  The diaphragm tore last month.  After a quick swap, the pump is fine.

I bought the rechargeable pump because I figured the Engel is approaching its lifespan. It is now the primary pump for that coolerl. Like I said, I really like this pump.

I also have the Frabill Magnum Bait Station.  It is superior in every way to the Engel.

Why so many?  It's not unusual for me to burn through 4 dozen smelt in a day.  I carry about 2 dozen in each cooler.

When I'm "making bait" I'll carry about 40 in each to stock the bait tank I keep at home.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Aug 08, 2021, 05:37 PM »
Kedsum

Amazon shows the single outlet pump as no longer available now.

Amazon has them back in stock and it's an Amazon choice now. $15.99. Very very happy with mine. I may order a few more. If anyone is looking for a solid bubbler I'd pick this one up. At $15 vs the $40 clam one....I am happy I went this way. Love the rechargable lithium ion....no need to keep buying batteries.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Aug 16, 2021, 08:54 AM »
During the summer, I use a bubbler 3-4 times a weeks for at least 10hrs each time out.  It's critical for the large suckers and bullheads I use on my guide trips.   Without question the Marine Metal B15 is the best I've used so far.  Rock solid and pretty dang quiet too.   I've burned out just about everything else.  Here's an amazon link:  https://amzn.to/3m7ZmlG

Also I've heard great things about Bubs Daddy.  Whisper quiet and rechargeable lithium built in.  But....$$$$   They also make one that adapts to a DeWalt battery.
https://bubsdaddy.shop/

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2021, 10:00 PM »
Liking the Bubs Milwaukee M18 model, thanks for the posted info!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Aug 17, 2021, 07:32 AM »
For the price of that Bubs you would have a great start on a real oxygen system from Keep Alive. I’ve transported 2 gallons of shiners 5 hours north with a small Brute garbage can for a tank, their regulator, diffuser, and oxygen  tank. I bought their smallest system and your bait will be as fresh as you could get from a bait trapper. The oxygen tank is the most expensive part but you can pick up small used ones cheap and one fill lasts a looong time. I run mine at 1/2 liter/hour.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #38 on: Aug 17, 2021, 06:16 PM »
At home I use this setup in 1 gal. and 2 gal. water jugs, works well for me.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #39 on: Oct 04, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Well, this topic is a bit old but I just finished putting together my "Mega Minnow Tank" and so far so good:

A 48 qt. cooler (already had it)
Marine Metal Super Saver aeration system...$42
Amp Outdoors 30 amp Lithium...$180
Electrical junction box (to hold battery, mounted on side of cooler)...$32
110v to 12v converter...$23

Seems like a lot but will get plenty of use...a couple of ice fishing trips with the fellas and numerous times to the Detroit River jigging Walleye. Thinking this thing should hold a few hundred minnows. Just dip what's needed for the day for individual containers. The battery will last between 12 and 15 hours and can be plugged in once we reach our destination (hotel, cabin, etc.) and the battery can be recharged off my Vexilar.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.