Author Topic: Windless Tipup Rigs for panfish  (Read 2313 times)

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Windless Tipup Rigs for panfish
« on: Dec 31, 2020, 04:08 PM »
Any thoughts on these it is a cool design. live bait or jigs?

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Windless Tipup Rigs for panfish
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2020, 05:17 PM »
I have 2, they are ok. I use a small flasher about 2 foot above a fathead minnow.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2020, 05:21 PM »
I run Windlass tippy often but I'm swinging dead for pike, never rigged for pannies. I have downsized to a jig an minnow for walleyes with mixed results. They are a great tool for certain things. I'd think that with a bit of fine tuning they would work for pannies too. They are made to order tipdowns for crappies and I'd think a small jig and minnow for perch would also work. Bluegills would be a bit of a crap shoot but possible.

The thing would be is to concentrate on how that flag trips and be able to set it as light as possible. I've had the best luck with controlling the flag by taping the end of the flag spring with duct tape (to give it a bit of grab on the line) and curving it a bit to match the outside of the spool.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2020, 05:28 PM »
We've caught many perch on those.  Smaller hooks with fat heads or icicles work great.  Problem is they are only good if the air temp is above freezing.  when the hole freezes it doesn't work. If the line gets wet and wound back on the spool, it freezes and won't come off.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2021, 10:45 AM »
Thanks for the info I am going to add one to my tip down arsenal for perch!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2021, 02:22 PM »
Good tips ...also bending a curve in the spring/flag helps ...hole covers also ..on real fridgid days the jigging line can build up alot of ice . Some days only the Windless would produce.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Thanks diehard

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:31 AM »
And a few tips I've posted here before but are likely pretty well buried...

Windlass tippys are always in my arsenal. Like WS pointed out, I use them mostly to swing dead bait for pike. Nothing like a gently bobbing dead to draw some attention while being the easiest target in the pond.  You will have to spend some time getting to know the rig. It's not like falling off a log but well worth your time.

A few tips:

1.   Spool with vinyl coated line. It's stiffer than regular Dacron but necessary to keep line from freezing to itself.

2.   I usually bend the end of the "paddle" up to catch the breeze better.

3.   New units used to come with two springs. They were not identical; one was heavy and the other light, use the spring suitable to the weight of your bait.

4.   Usually the orientation is for the unit to be positioned pointing downwind so the wind blows across the top of the paddle from behind. Occasionally a wilder bobbing id more effective and that can be accomplished by reversing it so the wind tends to lift the paddle instead of pushing it down.

5.   Put some duct tape on the end of the flag spring above the flag to help get a grip on the line to trigger the flag. Sometimes the vinyl is so smooth it can slide on the flag spring without tripping it. I usually bend the end of that flag spring as well to help keep it secure from “wind flags”, just a slight curve in that end that contacts the spool to match the spool curve does it.

6.   I use a piece of black belting for a hole cover. It’s just stiff enough to not fall in the water with a hole that’s big enough to accommodate the bobbing line without it touching. It works very well down into the 20s to keep the line from icing up and bobbing properly. On sunny days it works even better and using a fly line dressing on the vinyl helps water shed so there’s less to freeze.

To set up:

1.   Open the unit locking the upright into the notches in the base with the thumbscrew.

2.   Lock the top arm to the upright about horizontal to the base.

3.   Determine wind direction and place the unit next to the hole so the line goes in the center of the hole. Pack the base with snow or slush to secure the unit.

4.   Determine how deep you want to set your bait. I usually mark the line with a small clip-on bobber at a reference point below the waterline. This helps keep the bobber ice free and reduces the problems associated with freezing.

5.   Hook up your bait and send it down the hole. Loosen the top arm so it can move freely. Use the “slider” adjustment on the spring to apply just enough tension to lift the arm with the weight of the bait to horizontal. Now when the breeze blows it will catch the paddle pushing the top arm down. When it lets up the spring will return the arm to horizontal.

6.   Adjust the wingnut on the spool to allow the spool to turn freely not so loose that line comes off wildly uncontrolled. It can snarl up and snag on something.

7.   You should experiment with different settings. Usually, more spring tension is required for a stronger breeze to accomplish the bobbing. It sometimes takes me two or three fine tunes until I’m satisfied with the action. If you bait is too heavy for either spring, let the slide all the way loose and push it off to the side angling it away from the upright to apply enough tension and secure the screw to keep it from slipping back.

That’s the basics to get you going. Have fun and Good Luck!

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2021, 11:40 AM »
esox_xtm   NICE :clap:

Only thing I would add is use a thread/yarn style bobber stop for your depth marker ..I have buttons on my Windless as of now but have used the thread/yarn bobber stops on my tip downs ..makes it EZPZ to reset .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline iceice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2021, 04:04 PM »
Good info thanks looking to using them!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.