Author Topic: Figured out why Sportsmans Warehouse has no inventory...  (Read 13854 times)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Figured out why Sportsmans Warehouse has no inventory...
« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:01 AM »
There's still one great place left.....Sportsman's Guide. Done a lot of biz with them. Never disappointed.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:04 AM »
Living in Nebraska, I've seen Cabelas go from a great place, to a corporate entity, to being sold to BPS. Honestly,  easy ten years running Cabelas has sucked. Probably near 20. I spend money at my local tackle shop first, then Scheels.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:10 AM »
I've had very good luck with Reedssports.com.  They have great online presence and some big stores in the Midwest.

Sadly there aren't many small businesses that do a lot of ice fishing stuff in my area.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:13 AM »
Living in Nebraska, I've seen Cabelas go from a great place, to a corporate entity, to being sold to BPS. Honestly,  easy ten years running Cabelas has sucked. Probably near 20. I spend money at my local tackle shop first, then Scheels.

I remember stopping at the one right off of I-80 in Nebraska when I was a kid in the early 90s, and being just blown away. Back then, that was an amazing sight, before they started building them all over the place.

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:24 AM »
I used to be a big fan of Bass Pro and Cabela’s individually.  Seems like Bass Pro used to be about like Cabela’s with a bit more inventory, although not always the high quality we could expect from the Cabela’s of days gone.

Now they’ve turned into a bit of a crap show and I have to drive about 45 minutes to get to either.  That’s why I really appreciated the Sportsman’s Warehouse about 10 miles from the house.

I’m sure we’ll see it go in the tank, as well, now.  It sucks, because being up here in Alaska, our options are kinda slim.  I’ll admit to still using Cabela’s and Bass Pro because they do free shipping to their stores which is a way for me to get a few things I might otherwise have to pay prohibitively expensive shipping costs.

This is a blow to our local supply, for sure.  I doubt Scheel’s has plans to move to Alaska any time soon.  Good thing I’m pretty well-stocked on the things I use the most - at least until that next shiny, gotta have doodad comes along...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Bad thing about Cabela's and Bass Pro sales. You get there and they say there were only 1 or 2 of these on sale. Just a scheme to get you into the stores to buy something else.
<===Lefty===

Offline DucksAndDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:39 AM »
Bad thing about Cabela's and Bass Pro sales. You get there and they say there were only 1 or 2 of these on sale. Just a scheme to get you into the stores to buy something else.

I bought a sausage stuffed from the Cabela’s website a few years back right after Bass Pro bought them.  It showed in stock online.  This was on Black Friday or cyber Monday or whichever one of the two.  In stock, free two day delivery.  Got it.  Pulled the trigger and found out a week later that they were updating the delivery to like mid-February because they didn’t have any inventory.

I called and asked them to cancel my order and lo and behold they found one to send me and it arrived two days later.  The only problem was that it had clearly been opened, assembled, and put back in the box in a manner that caused the box and one of the parts to be destroyed during shipping.

Fortunately, for me, there was some paperwork in the box that indicated it was from the Billings, MT store.  Rather than calling the main customer service number, I called the Billings store and found out that it was a customer return that we then used as the display in one of there floor setups for meat processing, and that they’d gotten a call from “higher ups” to box it up and mail it to me.

Remember when a Cabela’s branded item was a sign of quality?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #37 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Thats my other problem with cabelas.people walking all over the damn place asking you if you need help finding something then get to the register and 2 people  working them with big lines of people when theres a bunch of empty registers and i always thought get some of those workers standing around in the wacky worm isle to help out.every time!!!

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Whew. What a pile on. I don’t want to come off as a BPS shill but I have never had a bad experience at the Bolingbrook IL store. Fishing inventory down this year but I don’t blame them for that.   Otherwise they typically have what I want at a decent price.

I think this my 500th post. Do I win a credit card?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:52 AM »
Whew. What a pile on. I don’t want to come off as a BPS shill but I have never had a bad experience at the Bolingbrook IL store. Fishing inventory down this year but I don’t blame them for that.   Otherwise they typically have what I want at a decent price.

I think this my 500th post. Do I win a credit card?

I bought my boat from Bolingbrook BPS a few years back, and it was not a good experience.

I guess since it wasn't a bajillion dollar bass boat, they felt the need to jerk me around repeatedly. In the end, from the time I paid them till I actually had my dang boat was over 2 weeks. It was just a Topper jon boat, and I already had my own trailer, so it wasn't a huge prep job. 😒

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 22, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Ours in Rochester, NY is fairly new. Maybe 18 months old. They moved into a “Field & Stream” (which I presumed they’d bought out). For me, inventory was terrible in the early transition weeks. Also, the Sportsman’s Warehouse website wouldn’t list the Rochester store in their “store locator”. They had no weekly flyer. It was like they were unaffiliated, flying independent and doomed to failure.  But they weathered the transition and they’re crushing it now. I was in yesterday for some items and they were stocked to the hilt. I ended up buying a new pair of gloves and a couple shanty anchors. Then....after much hemming and hawing, looking at the boxes in store last night, and then walking out because I just couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger, I went online this morning and bought an Ion. I could have found it a little cheaper elsewhere but not in stock and not delivered in time for my needs. But they were the same price as all the other big boys. Pick up today ;)

Offline theine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:35 PM »
I like marine general.  I call there and the staff knows there stuff inside and out.  Pricing is about the same as all else but service and  knowledge goes a long way

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:41 PM »
I like marine general.  I call there and the staff knows there stuff inside and out.  Pricing is about the same as all else but service and  knowledge goes a long way

Marine General is an amazing store on Superior Street on the east side of Duluth, MN.

Worth a visit (Summer or Winter) if you are in the area.

The store building is a warren on several levels up the hill that is stuffed to the gills with fishing gear and with salespeople who know what they are talking about.

One of a kind...and probably safe from the corporate raiders.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Cabelas has always been pricey just like Bass Pro.  Scheels is getting there.   I seldom buy my stuff at retail price, it has to be on sale.  Guns are different story now a days. Just bought a Browning X Bolt long range rifle from Sportsman, only one I could find in the US! Drove 4 hours to a store to pick it up once it was delivered to the store.

You have to learn little secrets about each store...like for awhile (they stopped doing it) you could buy Cabelas gift cards for 80% of the value on eBay.   I bet I bought $3000 worth for $2400.  Used 16 of them on a Minn Kota Terrova $2200 and with 10% off special and 20% off gift cards I saved 30%.  I also used them on some Swarovski binos, paid $1200 for $1600 binos.  Most recently used Active Junky and 10% from using cabelas card to buy 18x56 Vortex binos.  It takes the stores a while to figure it out and sometimes I think they cancel the orders.  I ordered a Pelican boat last summer (small 2 man pond boat) supposed to save 10% from active junky and 10% for using credit card and then you get 2% back in rewards.  My order sat for 6 weeks and i finally cancelled it myself, figured they were onto me.

Never pay retail unless you are the local bait shop, gun shop or archery shop.

People b***h about Amazon, but a lot of retailers use Amazon to dump their old inventory, we benefit.  Or sometimes it is a small guy selling stuff from his garage, he is making good money and is happy.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline theine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 22, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Def want to go to marine general in person some day

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2020, 04:56 PM »
I do the majority of my outdoor shopping at locally owned family stores ...for all of the obvious reasons. My bait comes from a campground/sporting goods store...best prices around. But most of my hunting and fishing supplies come from D and R Sports in Kalamazoo, MI. ( the owners family name...VanDam...might ring a bell  ;) ) These folks knock it out of the park! They have everything you could possibly imagine for the outdoors. Their prices are equal to or better than all of the big name retailers. But what I like most about them...all of their staff is knowledgeable and helpful. You can't hardly get into the store without someone asking if you need any assistance. And hardly ever a wait at the cashier... and each time they will ask if someone helped you and then ask for the persons name. True story...I went in there this past summer to purchase some planer boards, but didn't see the "side" I needed. A young man came to me and asked me what I was looking for. Another "associate" overheard our conversation and said he thinks a shipment might have just came in and if I could give him a few minutes, he would "go digging" for them. I said sure, I had time. 10 minutes later he came out with them. That associate? Randy VanDam...Kevins brother. You might say yeah, of course he would help, he owns the place...he wants my money. But it's not like that. These people truly care about their customers. A real class act.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:01 PM »
I do the majority of my outdoor shopping at locally owned family stores ...for all of the obvious reasons. My bait comes from a campground/sporting goods store...best prices around. But most of my hunting and fishing supplies come from D and R Sports in Kalamazoo, MI. ( the owners family name...VanDam...might ring a bell  ;) ) These folks knock it out of the park! They have everything you could possibly imagine for the outdoors. Their prices are equal to or better than all of the big name retailers. But what I like most about them...all of their staff is knowledgeable and helpful. You can't hardly get into the store without someone asking if you need any assistance. And hardly ever a wait at the cashier... and each time they will ask if someone helped you and then ask for the persons name. True story...I went in there this past summer to purchase some planer boards, but didn't see the "side" I needed. A young man came to me and asked me what I was looking for. Another "associate" overheard our conversation and said he thinks a shipment might have just came in and if I could give him a few minutes, he would "go digging" for them. I said sure, I had time. 10 minutes later he came out with them. That associate? Randy VanDam...Kevins brother. You might say yeah, of course he would help, he owns the place...he wants my money. But it's not like that. These people truly care about their customers. A real class act.

Nice, I'd like to have something like that around here, but Sportsman's or online, looking like it'll be more online if prices at Sportsman's goes the way of Cabela's.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:07 PM »
Nice, I'd like to have something like that around here, but Sportsman's or online, looking like it'll be more online if prices at Sportsman's goes the way of Cabela's.

D and R does have an online store. Called "VanDams Warehouse" I believe. Worth a look.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:11 PM »
D and R does have an online store. Called "VanDams Warehouse" I believe. Worth a look.
Thanks, I'll give it a look. Not much for choices out here.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 22, 2020, 05:52 PM »
Marine General is an amazing store on Superior Street on the east side of Duluth, MN.

Worth a visit (Summer or Winter) if you are in the area.

The store building is a warren on several levels up the hill that is stuffed to the gills with fishing gear and with salespeople who know what they are talking about.

One of a kind...and probably safe from the corporate raiders.

Dang! Forgot about them! Yes, they are a great store! Got a lot of Eskimo stuff from them in the past. (Eskimo brand gear, not Eskimo essentials. That would be not politically correct. )

Offline eyeshaveit49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:22 PM »
I am all through with BP and Cabela’s.  Their service in the store is terrible and their prices are high.  You can “always” find it cheaper online or at other stores.  I now buy most of my stuff at Scheel’s online, even though they don’t have a store in Michigan.  Maybe someday they will.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:36 PM »
Stopped going to Cabela’s years ago.
Never had what I needed. Not like it was a unique item. Was always disappointed with them.
Now that Bass Pro bought them, not expecting it to get better.
Just bought a few items from Sportsman’s Guide this past Sunday.
Kept on getting text messages on the progress of my order.
Received the items today. (Tuesday). That’s two days.
Ordered lures from FishUSA on December 8th, still waiting.
Really disappointed that they use USPS.
Don’t know when I’ll get them.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:48 PM »
I am all through with BP and Cabela’s.  Their service in the store is terrible and their prices are high.  You can “always” find it cheaper online or at other stores.  I now buy most of my stuff at Scheel’s online, even though they don’t have a store in Michigan.  Maybe someday they will.

This X2.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Stopped going to Cabela’s years ago.
Never had what I needed. Not like it was a unique item. Was always disappointed with them.
Now that Bass Pro bought them, not expecting it to get better.
Just bought a few items from Sportsman’s Guide this past Sunday.
Kept on getting text messages on the progress of my order.
Received the items today. (Tuesday). That’s two days.
Ordered lures from FishUSA on December 8th, still waiting.
Really disappointed that they use USPS.
Don’t know when I’ll get them.

Everything is super slow shipping. I ordered my Dad's Xmas present from a place on Nov 30, shipped Dec 3... still in transit. Been sitting in Milwaukee since the 13th 🤬

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:35 PM »
X3, prices higher than elsewhere  on common products.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Dec 23, 2020, 05:21 AM »
If yer stuck in a long line, start burping and licking yer lips while saying "man, I feel like I'm gonna throw up".
The line will open right up.  ;D

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:40 AM »

USPS currently is performing VERY poorly.

It is not the fault of the shippers. Some blame COVID and I am sure there is some of that.

But they were not exceptional before COVID.

I have had 3 packages sent to relatives lost or stolen in the past couple weeks.

One box containing some valuables arrived late with a sticker on it that said the box had been found open and empty. Stolen!!!

I have empathy for business that need to depend upon the USPS at the current time.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #57 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:45 AM »
this fall, ive had some stuff shipped via USPS take almost 3 weeks to get to me...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:52 AM »
this fall, ive had some stuff shipped via USPS take almost 3 weeks to get to me...
Yep, it's been pretty lousy... this just finally moved after a 9 day nap in Wisconsin. It sat in St Louis for quite a while, too, before it went to Indy. Shipped December 3rd from Missouri. I could have walked there and back faster...

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:56 AM »
I ordered a reel in August and forgot about it. Was told not sure when it would be back in stock. Arrived 12/21/2020. LOL Glad I forgot about it, of course my wife didn't believe I ordered it so long ago.  ::)
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.