Author Topic: Figured out why Sportsmans Warehouse has no inventory...  (Read 13849 times)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
Bought by the parent company of Bass Pro Shops, keeping low inventory for transition. Scheels can't get here fast enough. RIP sportsman's Warehouse...

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Figured out why Sportsmans Warehouse has no inventory...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:38 AM »
Is it me or has Bass Pro become a rip off? Every time I go there I walk out because everything in the store is ridiculously overpriced.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:46 AM »
Is it me or has Bass Pro become a rip off? Every time I go there I walk out because everything in the store is ridiculously overpriced.
Yep, once Bass Pro took over, it went down hill fast.  They've become my last option and most of the time that I go in there, they don't have what I need anyways.  It's bad when the Walmart next door has more of a localized fishing selection than the Cabelas.  I wish we had a Scheels here in Ohio, but it's nice having FishUSA so close that items gets here within a day or two with the free shipping over $60 option.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:47 AM »
First Cabela's and now Sportsman's?  I give up. I'll shop online from now on. And not from them. I always went to Sportsman's for lures because they were always cheaper than Cabela's.
<===Lefty===

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:51 AM »
I went to Bass Pro hoping to get a deal on the Otter Monster Lodge and that was a joke- they couldn't even get the monster lodge, but they had the Vortex Lodge for $550. (it cost $399 on the Otter website) And I had some kid with a smart phone who has probably never ice fished in his life trying to sell it to me like a salesman. I was very annoyed by that, I used to love bass pro.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:57 AM »
They need to rename the place Bass Blow.  >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:59 AM »
I havent went into a bass pro/cabelas in a few years now  and when i did i walked out with nothing because its to expensive..

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:03 AM »
I can't imagine that a place so big with so much inventory and so much overhead can stay in business with so many customers walking out empty handed because they are annoyed. They must have something going on- maybe they make their money signing people up for expensive loans on boats? Maybe they hope to corner the entire market so they are the only option. Sorry I'm just fascinated by business models. Whatever theirs is I hope it fails.

Offline theine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:05 AM »
And more and more of there inventory is their branded stuff which sucks imo

Offline Milwaukee

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:06 AM »

Last time I went to a Bass Pro was 2017? I brought $500 to blow on tackle for the summer so I was pretty pumped.

First thing as I walked through the doors was not being greeted, but having a credit card pamphlet shoved in my face saying if I got approved I'd receive a $50 gift card. I said no and hustled away. Lame..

Then I walked to the back for the fishing stuff and started browsing. I was looking for the deep diving crankbaits when an employee came up and I thought oh good, he can show me them. Instead of offering me assistance he asked me if I wanted to sign up for a raffle for an RV rental? No thanks.

Final straw was after comparing prices to other shops, Bass Pro prices were marked up 50c to $1 on damn near EVERYTHING. Even their house brand plastics and hard baits cost more than Berkley or Rapalas in a lot of places. Blew my mind.

Ended leaving with $500 in my pocket. Went to my local bait and tackle shop, spent the whole $500 there. They had 80% of what I wanted at the same prices of Bass Pro, and what they didn't have they ordered and it showed up in a couple days. I'm sticking to local shops. Only way I'm buying any real equipment from a corporation like bass pro is if they have an insane sale. Which I think those days are long gone.
Drillin' Holes, Bending Poles

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:13 AM »
bass blo will eventually implode.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:14 AM »
Well they ruined Cabelas too. I'm still in the middle of that battle  :%$#!: >:(

I got zero good to say re: BPS.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:19 AM »
Last time I went to a Bass Pro was 2017? I brought $500 to blow on tackle for the summer so I was pretty pumped.

First thing as I walked through the doors was not being greeted, but having a credit card pamphlet shoved in my face saying if I got approved I'd receive a $50 gift card. I said no and hustled away. Lame..

Then I walked to the back for the fishing stuff and started browsing. I was looking for the deep diving crankbaits when an employee came up and I thought oh good, he can show me them. Instead of offering me assistance he asked me if I wanted to sign up for a raffle for an RV rental? No thanks.

Final straw was after comparing prices to other shops, Bass Pro prices were marked up 50c to $1 on damn near EVERYTHING. Even their house brand plastics and hard baits cost more than Berkley or Rapalas in a lot of places. Blew my mind.

Ended leaving with $500 in my pocket. Went to my local bait and tackle shop, spent the whole $500 there. They had 80% of what I wanted at the same prices of Bass Pro, and what they didn't have they ordered and it showed up in a couple days. I'm sticking to local shops. Only way I'm buying any real equipment from a corporation like bass pro is if they have an insane sale. Which I think those days are long gone.

I had the same experience! and we had our dog, and the greeter detained us for almost 10 minutes while she tried to twist our arm into signing up for a credit card. And we had the same exact experience looking for some simple tackle- they only had the most expensive stuff and it was marked up. Corporate Greed ruined the Disney Land of the fishing world!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:20 AM »
Reminds me of Muffin Mountain....aka Gander Mountain. The mountain went downhill into the swamp.

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:28 AM »
Seems to me like BPS has always been a bit salty, unless you caught a sale. It's just moreso now that they bought out the biggest part of the competition.

I've bought pretty much all my hunting and fishing gear online for several years now, just to avoid the crowds, and not be hassled by sales staff. About the only thing I buy in person is rods anymore, because build quality varies a lot, and I always want to have a good look over them before purchase. Everything else... online. Way less hassle, even if it ends up costing a bit more.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:30 AM »
I finally his post 500! Do I win something?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:31 AM »
BPS, is relatively new around here ( last 5 or 6 years).. and everything that has been said here is true..I cant add much.. the last time I went there was 2018, I needed a new battery for my Marcum, like others I was mugged  at the door with their credit card scheme... I told the moron at the door that when I wanted his opinion I'd give it to him..  I haven't been back since.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline curtrein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:43 AM »
That’s horrible to hear. Sportsmans was my favorite store. BPS totally destroyed Cabelas when they took over. I used to love Cabelas branded clothing but now they hardly have any of it. BPS sucks hard. I’ll buy elsewhere...

Offline Wapiti406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:53 AM »
Just going to put it plainly: BPS is trash. 

I'm really sad to hear this.  Bring on Scheels!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2020, 08:54 AM »
I finally his post 500! Do I win something?

Ya, a credit card to BPS.   ;)

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:00 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:09 AM »
Just received some cabelas gift cards for christmas... yay... lol. Ill find a way to spend them, Cabelas price match?

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Just received some cabelas gift cards for christmas... yay... lol. Ill find a way to spend them, Cabelas price match?

Not online, not sure about in-store. I always get a few at Xmas and just end up using them online.

Offline Cw1036

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:23 AM »

Yep. They did away with the bargain barn here in Green Bay  when they bought Cabelas. I actually get mad sometimes at the prices!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:26 AM »
I usually spend a lot(according to my wife) at BPS and Cabelas. I have not bought a damned thing there this year. Even their sales and bargain cave are not worth it. I did order a FF battery this year and it was delivered damaged 3 times. They allegedly tried to send me a gift card for a refund, but I never got it. I gave up.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:37 AM »
It's rare that I buy anything from BassPro. I used to buy quite a bit from Cabela's. Now my go to place to shop is FishUSA. Although I did just buy 2 pairs of the Cabela's Trans Alaskan Boots for me an my son. There isn't a BassPro or Cabela's any closer than 1.5 to 2 hours. So, I am limited to online or Walmart. Amazon has been ok for certain items.     
jbird68

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:41 AM »
It's rare that I buy anything from BassPro. I used to buy quite a bit from Cabela's. Now my go to place to shop is FishUSA. Although I did just buy 2 pairs of the Cabela's Trans Alaskan Boots for me an my son. There isn't a BassPro or Cabela's any closer than 1.5 to 2 hours. So, I am limited to online or Walmart. Amazon has been ok for certain items.     

Same here. I do some BPS/Cabelas online buys, but the closest store to me is the Hammond, IN Cabelas, and that's a solid hour and a half drive... longer if the traffic up in Lake County sucks.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:56 AM »
Haven't shopped at Cabelas or BPS in years. Thankful that we have a Scheels.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2020, 09:59 AM »
Dam, I'll have to do all my shopping online now. Sportsman's was a great store, be overpriced now just like Cabela's.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Well they ruined Cabelas too. I'm still in the middle of that battle  :%$#!: >:(

I got zero good to say re: BPS.

Right, I don't care much about BPS, they always sucked but Cabelas used to be awesome. Now they ruined Cabelas.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.