Author Topic: Tip up for lakers  (Read 2206 times)

Offline DawntoDusk

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up for lakers
« on: Sep 19, 2020, 02:20 PM »
Hi Folks

What would be a good tip up for lakers? I need to find one that is still visible in deep snow.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Tip up for lakers
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2020, 02:30 PM »
I have been using Heritage Laker Tip ups, they work well for me. They are a quality tip up in my opinion, fairly tall too. I painted mine and some reflective tape for more visibility. What ever tip up you choose make sure it has a high capacity spool...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2020, 02:33 PM »
Look at the Forest City Traps. I started using them last year and IMO are the best I’ve used in the 40+ years of ice fishing. Very high quality and they can hold a lot of line. Give them a look
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:44 AM »
I have been using Heritage Laker Tip ups, they work well for me. They are a quality tip up in my opinion, fairly tall too. I painted mine and some reflective tape for more visibility. What ever tip up you choose make sure it has a high capacity spool...
(Image removed from quote.)

These are great traps, I have cheap traps but if I had my way and was willing to spend Id get the heritage Lakers. They’re tall, you can adjust the trip for bigger live baits so you don’t get false flags, they are built with high quality components.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Heritage lakers!!!!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline BlackDucksAndBrownDogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Bill at Forest City Traps is making the best available right now.

I've sold all of my Heritage Lakers.  I find them of mediocre quality and quirky.

Jack Traps are high quality but the split ring can be frustrating.  I still have 10 Jack Traps but have gifted a full set of Big Bobs as a graduation present.

The Forest City Traps combine the best features of both Heritage and Jacks, have none of the quirks, and are exceptionally well made.

I prefer a rubber band or a release clip for baits like smelt or small perch.

The "drag" on a Heritage Laker is awful.  The reel shaft comes loose after the first season so the drag is no longer adjustable.

If you need it for huge baits, the drag on a Forest City is reliable as the reel shaft is thru-bolted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.